PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Purposed

Just Sayin'
12-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Okay guys and gals, here is something I used to do during a unit survival training excercise. It's pretty simple, but the answers will sometimes surprise you. I'll post a picture of a survival item that probably should be in your BOB or INCH bag. Some of the items have obvious uses other than their primary use, some don't. Let's see how creative y'all are!

First one...

What else could you use this for in a survival situation other than a wire saw?

Sockpuppet
12-04-2014, 11:03 PM
snare

1moretoy
12-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Trip wire

Infidel
12-05-2014, 04:55 PM
A garotte. Of course I'm not all that confident I could sneak up behind someone and slip that over their head without them noticing.

-Infidel

James m
12-05-2014, 06:19 PM
You could cut off that silly wire and use the hoops and brass parts as earrings. :p

Just Sayin'
12-05-2014, 07:54 PM
You could cut off that silly wire and use the hoops and brass parts as earrings. :p

Urban camouflage in Atlanta? lol

Good answers all, Infidel got the most common response with his garrote. One other that I heard frequently was a fish stringer.

Just Sayin'
12-05-2014, 07:58 PM
What other uses can you come up with for this?

Remember, shout out anything that comes to mind. This exercise is to get people to think outside of the box about things. Just because it's obvious to you, doesn't mean that it's dinged on someone else.

Coppertop
12-05-2014, 09:25 PM
I'm assuming that is a "space" blanket?

line a frame with it and make it a water tank.

Innkeeper
12-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Dig a holes find a half a dozen rocks and use it to collect water from the sun. oops don't forget a bucket or something else to collect the water in .....the official name of the doohickey will come to me later while I am sleeping "solar still" or something like that.

Infidel
12-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Instant cooler for game meat. Lay out the blanket, pack it with snow and add meat to cool it rapidly. Also could be used as a small shelter, with a fire in front of it should keep you nice and warm.

-Infidel

James m
12-06-2014, 12:13 AM
I would assume that it would be useful to keep water off of you. I know my space blanket has a fire warning. At least mine does.

I had an idea to wrap a blanket in a tarp to keep at least a little water or moisture off of the blanket. And to use zip ties to keep it closed at the metal loop points. Never found a tarp small enough. They were all 8 feet bt 10 feet. Or bigger.

Montana Rancher
12-06-2014, 12:49 AM
I don't really understand the last few posts, they seem to have gone off base.

Here is my thought

You could easily use that to saw through almost anything, including soft steel like rebar.

Looks like the ultimate jail break kit.

Sockpuppet
12-06-2014, 01:55 AM
rain poncho,
barrier
fly
protective scarf
rope bandage
food bag

Infidel
12-06-2014, 07:55 AM
I would assume that it would be useful to keep water off of you. I know my space blanket has a fire warning. At least mine does.

I had an idea to wrap a blanket in a tarp to keep at least a little water or moisture off of the blanket. And to use zip ties to keep it closed at the metal loop points. Never found a tarp small enough. They were all 8 feet bt 10 feet. Or bigger.

Don't know if you've got one near you but Ollie's (http://www.ollies.us/) has 6x8' tarps. They're pretty handy for smaller jobs and cheap enough I wouldn't be too upset about cutting one down if necessary. They're pretty thin though so they will probably tear easily. I keep one in the back of the wife's fan for those occasions when I have move something particularly messy. I used to have a pick up truck for this but it got too expensive to run, I miss my truck.

-Infidel

James m
12-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Cane / walking stick for ice.

Step 1. Sit down and have a beer or other beverage in a glass bottle.
Step 2. Save the top.
Step 3. Attach the top of the bottle cap to the bottom of the cane / walking stick. Wood works best. So does attaching the top in a way that it doesn't spin.

Repeat step 1. As necessary, ya drunk!

Disclaimer. If you try this and it doesn't work, call the boy scouts to help you up. And if the boy scouts can't get you up, stop eating so many girl scout cookies!

Just Sayin'
12-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Sock got the mylar blanket by sheer volume! Got to give Innkeeper a gold star for the solar still, considering that he's a brain dead hooker.

Next up, and this wasn't in any Army survival kit I ever saw, but should be... the Bandana!

It's not just a fashion statement anymore!

Sockpuppet
12-07-2014, 07:06 AM
filter
dressing
compress
filtration
sun protection
hand wrap
colors
pad
washcloth
bindle
wallet

Infidel
12-07-2014, 08:01 AM
I think sockpuppet pretty well covered it on that one. Only thing I think he missed is it can be used as a handkerchief.

-Infidel

James m
12-07-2014, 09:53 AM
I have seen in stores a handkerchief that is being sold as a cooling cap. Its basically a handkerchief in a nice display. Its not cheap either they are 15-20 if I remember. That guy probably made more than the guy who came up with the pet rock.

Just Sayin'
12-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Why, when you can use your forearm and finger?

Now I've really got to add a new item...lol

Okay, here it is...

A fishing net...

James m
12-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Cut a hole in the net and throw some leaves branches and other brush on it.

Just call it a ghillie suit.

Sockpuppet
12-07-2014, 03:03 PM
1. Go fishing with it? Duh. LOL
2. A camo net for concealment, or a blind.
3. Longnetting, snare, and net trap.
4. Hammock.

Sockpuppet
12-10-2014, 06:14 PM
The thread is slow. Lets go with a multipurpose of this now:

Just Sayin'
12-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Let's assume it's unused, and unlubricated first...

A water carrier.
If you have more than one, waterproof sock liners.
or this...

Infidel
12-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Keeps the elements out of the bore of your rifle. Got a buddy of mine that twice has ended up with his rifle muzzle down in the mud while hunting sure wish he'd had one of those on the muzzle when he did it. I started carrying a cleaning kit in the trunk after the first time he did it.

-Infidel

James m
12-10-2014, 07:32 PM
OK so. Do I have to buy a really small rubber for it to fit on the barrel. And what if it breaks.

Infidel
12-10-2014, 08:28 PM
OK so. Do I have to buy a really small rubber for it to fit on the barrel. And what if it breaks.

Nah any rubber will work, just put a rubber band over it to hold it in place. If it breaks replace it. The fingers of nitrile gloves work just as well if not better than condoms and that's what I use since I get them for nothing and I don't need the rubber band, they're a stretch fit on most of my guns. If you've got a pencil barrel like on a Mountain rifle you may still need a rubber band. Plus with the gloves you get 5 barrel covers for every glove. I think using condoms over your rifle barrel originated in the military but I'm not 100% sure of that.

-Infidel

TJC44
12-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Sockpuppet wins the fishnet one with #23

Just Sayin'
12-11-2014, 09:12 PM
And moving right along, here's the next item:

World famous duct tape, 100 mile an hour tape, whatever you like to call it.

It's like the Force in Star Wars, it has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

It is not recommended as a muzzle device for your wife, she will never forgive you.

Infidel
12-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Make a bunch of wallets with that roll and sell them on the internet. Otherwise it can be used to fix just about anything even if it's on;ly a temporary repair. I have rolls of duct tape all over the place. If it can't be done with duct tape and zip ties it just can't be done.

-Infidel

James m
12-11-2014, 09:54 PM
I have actually used it on duct work once.

Speed tape is the oddest repair by far. It looks exactly like duct tape. But it is used on air craft skin. Some people see what looks like duct tape when they look out the window and get mad.

Just Sayin'
12-11-2014, 10:02 PM
JB Weld, duct tape, zip ties, and baling wire. You can fix anything but the government with that stuff. Actually, now that I think about it.....

Sockpuppet
12-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Duct tape can be used as a means to:
1. Quickly remove foreign material off and out of skin. The process is similar to waxing for hair removal.
2. Debride skin surfaces from some types of injuries or infections, and not similar to hair removal. It is commonly used to remove warts from the epidermal layer.

In high school, my friends and I duct taped.....more like mummified......the Principal's car. 11 of us performed the deed in just under 10 minutes. He had to flatbed the car to have the tape removed. Needless to state that neither he or the police were amused, but it provided a good laugh for the student body for the remainder of the school year.

Just Sayin'
12-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Medically, duct tape also works well as an occlusive bandage for sucking chest wounds. Can be used to make a fairly strong rope. The only limiting factor with duct tape is how much do you have?

Next item, drum roll please....

First, you'll only go as far as your feet can take you, so you've gotta have at least a couple of pair extra in your BOB.

Infidel
12-12-2014, 08:41 PM
A puppet.

You beat me too it, damn it!

Could be used as mittens or maybe a filter to filter sediment out of water (only if they're clean).

-Infidel

Just Sayin'
12-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Yes, though to relieve the inevitable result of a tension pneumothorax, it requires the tape to be partially removed to relieve the pressure. Given enough times to do so, the stickiness of the tape and the integrity of the skin to further hold the tape, would be compromised

I'm not sure if a butterfly valve can be accomplished, given the qualities of the tape.

It was explained to me this way, you can take one of the overlaps and either wet it or stick a small piece of paper, or anything that will keep a small section from sticking to relieve the pressure, or use a mojo dart or needle if available. You then have to apply pressure to the small opening and periodically release it to prevent tension pnuemothorax. It's not perfect and the patient has to be continually monitored, but it beats a collapsed lung.
If I've been told wrong, please correct me.

Pauls
12-14-2014, 05:51 PM
200 mile per hour tape is an aluminum foil tape (thick aluminum foil with an adhesive on one side). It is stronger, more water resistant and has a better adhesive than duct tape. It is also heavier and better for repairing light damage to aircraft and race cars. That being said, I have more duct tape on hand than 200 MPH tape - but I do have both.

Just Sayin'
12-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Okay, moving along through the items, here's the next one:

Keeping your mouth healthy is important, but what other uses can y'all come up with?

Pauls
12-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Fishing line, bow string, lacing, trip line, constrictive band for small apendages, and if you have a lot of it you can make a very strong rope.

Just Sayin'
12-14-2014, 06:03 PM
200 mile per hour tape is an aluminum foil tape (thick aluminum foil with an adhesive on one side). It is stronger, more water resistant and has a better adhesive than duct tape. It is also heavier and better for repairing light damage to aircraft and race cars. That being said, I have more duct tape on hand than 200 MPH tape - but I do have both.

Paul makes a good point, and there is another type of tape that wouldn't be a bad idea to keep in your bag. It is a self vulcanizing tape that can make waterproof and low pressure proof repairs. You basically stretch it as you wind it around a pipe or hose, and it quickly adheres to itself and the item you are repairing. It will not do flat repairs very well, but it's worth it's weight in gold if you blow out a radiator hose in your bug out vehicle.

Sparkyprep
12-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Stitching thread.

Infidel
12-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Another items with a ton of uses. I wouldn't want to try it on myself but it would make pretty handy sutures in a pinch I'll bet. As well there are rumors of it being used to fashion a saw similar to a wire saw. Dip it in water and then run it through an abrasive like Ajax cleanser (powdered). I have never tried it although I've been meaning to but I see no reason why it wouldn't make a passable saw if you had nothing else. Elmers white glue would probably hold the cleanser better than water and that's what I'll try when I attempt that project.

-Infidel

TJC44
12-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Woven together, shoelaces.
Edit: first chance I've had to chime in on one of these!

Just Sayin'
12-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Another items with a ton of uses. I wouldn't want to try it on myself but it would make pretty handy sutures in a pinch I'll bet. As well there are rumors of it being used to fashion a saw similar to a wire saw. Dip it in water and then run it through an abrasive like Ajax cleanser (powdered). I have never tried it although I've been meaning to but I see no reason why it wouldn't make a passable saw if you had nothing else. Elmers white glue would probably hold the cleanser better than water and that's what I'll try when I attempt that project.

-Infidel

You're gonna have to let us know how that works, but the Elmers glue sounds like a great idea!

Just Sayin'
12-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Woven together, shoelaces.
Edit: first chance I've had to chime in on one of these!

good answer TJC, glad to see you adding to the ideas.

Sockpuppet
12-14-2014, 09:51 PM
snare
thread
cord
fish scaler

RWalls
12-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Okay, moving along through the items, here's the next one:

Keeping your mouth healthy is important, but what other uses can y'all come up with?

If your survival situation is on a deserted island you can make bathing suits for the ladies you are stuck with. :dirtyoldman:

Coppertop
12-15-2014, 04:18 PM
If your survival situation is on a deserted island you can make bathing suits for the ladies you are stuck with. :dirtyoldman:

So they don't sunburn, right?

TJC44
12-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Sock: I was thinking of snares also but wasn't sure it would be strong enough.
RW: methinks it would depend on the appearance of said ladies.

Infidel
12-15-2014, 07:49 PM
You're gonna have to let us know how that works, but the Elmers glue sounds like a great idea!

I definitely will. I may even try it this week if the rabbits don't cooperate when I try to chase them around. I had forgotten the whole thing until this thread so it kinda jump started me to try it out.

-Infidel

Infidel
12-15-2014, 07:51 PM
RW: methinks it would depend on the appearance of said ladies.

If your stranded long enough it won't matter what they look like.

-Infidel

Pauls
12-15-2014, 07:57 PM
The egyptians used sand, powdered stone and water on ropes to cut stones. You have to keep the slurry in the cut and it takes time but it works well.

Infidel
12-16-2014, 06:39 PM
The egyptians used sand, powdered stone and water on ropes to cut stones. You have to keep the slurry in the cut and it takes time but it works well.

The myth I've heard is that the floss/abrasive combo has been used to effect escapes from prison. That it will actually cut cell bars. I doubt very seriously it would do that but I see no reason why it wouldn't cut a softer material like wood or plastic, might make a handy coping saw in a pinch using not much more than a green stick some floss and a little glue.

Newer cell bars are generally a hollow tube of steel with a hardened steel rod in the center that spins if you cut through the outer tube. Maybe in the old days when they used mild steel bars or even flat stock for bars but I doubt very much you'd get out of Max with it these days.

-Infidel

Just Sayin'
12-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Newer cell bars are generally a hollow tube of steel with a hardened steel rod in the center that spins if you cut through the outer tube. Maybe in the old days when they used mild steel bars or even flat stock for bars but I doubt very much you'd get out of Max with it these days.

-Infidel

I didn't know that about the newer bars, nice piece of info to have.

Did they give you dental floss in the old days? LOL

Infidel
12-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Pretty sure that's been a standard technique for a few decades now. Although I have no idea if that's the case everywhere or just here. Point of fact the technology may have even progressed beyond that now, I think most newer facilities are built with solid doors and shatterproof windows. I think cell bars are rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

-Infidel

SquirrelBait
12-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Use strips of the space blanket to make and airtight seal on a sucking chest wound.

Line a box or basket to carry water.

SquirrelBait
12-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Or brad two or three bottle tops to a leather strap, Add a buckle, And voila! Ice cleats!