PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Rice A Roni"

Dwight55
01-12-2015, 07:09 PM
I was in the grocery today, . . . Rice A Roni was "on sale" at 10 for $10.

I don't know as I ever ate any, . . . just wondering on everyone's take on this stuff.

Do you add meat to it to make a sort of fried rice? Do you mix it with beans or anything else?

Thinking that it looked like maybe a cheap addition to a prepper package, . . . but if it is the Spam of rice dishes, . . . I'll just say thank you now and pass.

May God bless,
Dwight

Sarge7402
01-12-2015, 07:19 PM
mix it with corned beef or spam or treat and you've got a meal to die for/

:ar15::getdown::tommygun:

Inor
01-12-2015, 07:19 PM
I think it is pretty bland. I ate a lot of it when I was in college because it was cheap. If you mix some beans or sausage with it and a lot of red pepper flakes, it is okay. It is like Hamburger Helper without the hamburger.

Sparkyprep
01-12-2015, 07:43 PM
You must fry the pasta in it until dark brown, or it will boil up very mushy.

1moretoy
01-12-2015, 07:49 PM
I was in the grocery today, . . . Rice A Roni was "on sale" at 10 for $10.

I don't know as I ever ate any, . . . just wondering on everyone's take on this stuff.

Do you add meat to it to make a sort of fried rice? Do you mix it with beans or anything else?

Thinking that it looked like maybe a cheap addition to a prepper package, . . . but if it is the Spam of rice dishes, . . . I'll just say thank you now and pass.

May God bless,
Dwight

It's the San Francisco treat.

Dwight55
01-12-2015, 09:51 PM
mix it with corned beef or spam or treat and you've got a meal to die for/

:ar15::getdown::tommygun:

Now, Sarge, . . . I'm gonna do my best not to insult you or hurt your feelings, . . . but I love my dogs more than to feed them spam, . . . and I doggone sure ain't a gonna feed that stuff to myself, . . . with or without the Rice A Roni.

I ain't never ate no possum, . . . but I just figger that I'd choose possum afore I'd do the spam, . . . but then again, . . . might just go hungry, . . . that really ain't that bad an alternative to them two.

May God bless,
Dwight

Inor
01-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Now, Sarge, . . . I'm gonna do my best not to insult you or hurt your feelings, . . . but I love my dogs more than to feed them spam, . . . and I doggone sure ain't a gonna feed that stuff to myself, . . . with or without the Rice A Roni.

I ain't never ate no possum, . . . but I just figger that I'd choose possum afore I'd do the spam, . . . but then again, . . . might just go hungry, . . . that really ain't that bad an alternative to them two.

May God bless,
Dwight

Now let's not go overboard here buddy. :D Spam (made in Austin, Minnesota) is not THAT bad. Actually, the Spam spread on soda crackers is pretty good. (Mrs Inor gave me a few cans for Christmas. - I hope she is not looking forward to cashing in that life insurance policy that I cancelled last year?) But the original Spam, cut into thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick, and fried in maple syrup makes for a pretty tasty sammich, especially if you drizzle it with Cheese Whiz. :D

Deebo
01-13-2015, 04:09 AM
Come on Dwight, I can promise you, just like Inor said, you fry it crispy, on some toast with cheese and it is good.
As for possum, I haven't tried it, but I would of I was hungry.
Come on man, Deebo will try ANYTHING.....

Pauls
01-13-2015, 04:23 AM
I have had possum, and I have had Spam. I would sooner eat Spam than possum simply because with Spam you can boil it twice to remove some of the salt and then fry it and make it palatable. With possum you have to boil it three times and add salt and then brown the meat and it is still not palatable but it is edible.

MI.oldguy
01-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Rice-a-roni is not bad.its a serving meant to be eaten with a main dish or put your favorite meat in with it with the correct rice-a-roni flavor.it has a lot of sodium in it but its tasty.it wont last long if you try to store it long term. the ingredients in the mylar pouch want to cake and spoil because of the fat content.the rice portion would probably last quite a long time if you just put the rice in a baggie or etc.6 months is probably about the longest you could store it.we have had some in the larder for that length of time and it was still good.try a box or two and see what you think.at a buck a box it would be ok for short term shtf.same with pasta-roni,we like the fetuchini alfredo sometimes with some cooked Itialian sausages.

We like the chicken flavor or the pilaf,we have it with chicken once in a while.the rest of the flavors don't taste that good to us.like fried rice,spanish rice or beef flavors which you can duplicate with rice,wild rice and salsa or rice and half a cube of beef bullion.or make your own fried rice which is not too hard to do.

We do like spam too.fried for breakfast with our eggs.

Sarge7402
01-13-2015, 11:07 AM

May God bless,
Dwight

Just means more for me. Actually if you mix the two together with hot water it makes something that looks like MRE's i.e barf in a bag

:biggun::wall::tommygun:

MrsInor
01-13-2015, 03:36 PM
If you punch a couple of pin holes in the seasoning packet and them vac seal it - it will keep longer. Takes up less space too. A buck a box is still more than what Walmart carries them for - usually eighty nine cents about once a month. Add a can of tuna or chicken and a box will feed two people.

shootbrownelk
01-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Now let's not go overboard here buddy. :D Spam (made in Austin, Minnesota) is not THAT bad. Actually, the Spam spread on soda crackers is pretty good. (Mrs Inor gave me a few cans for Christmas. - I hope she is not looking forward to cashing in that life insurance policy that I cancelled last year?) But the original Spam, cut into thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick, and fried in maple syrup makes for a pretty tasty sammich, especially if you drizzle it with Cheese Whiz. :D

The "Spam Museum" is an inspiration to us all! Located in Austin,Minnesota. It's a popular vacation destination among folks from Hawaii I'm told.

James m
01-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Spam is good but i can't stomach the gel in the can, just don't look.

hawgrider
01-13-2015, 07:44 PM
Spam is the bomb on the charcoal grill and better yet cooked on a open fire. Love it!

http://youtu.be/anwy2MPT5RE

bigwheel
01-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Havent had no Rice a Roni since the late 50's but it was very tasty back in the day. Spam is special. Possum is too greasy. Coons with Collard greens aint bad.

OSFG
01-13-2015, 10:22 PM
It's the San Francisco treat.

Too many Price is Right episodes for you Mr.

Innkeeper
01-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Hey Spam is a good thing fried with Colby cheese....though you can cut it up and put it in ramen noodles with cheese wiz like we did in the field over in Korea.

rice paddy daddy
01-14-2015, 02:02 PM
I'm just a basic kind of guy. Open can of Spam, slice, put on bread as is, eat. Yummy.

1moretoy
01-14-2015, 03:45 PM
I've been in too many slaughter houses back in the day to even think about eating spam. As a kid we hung around the place while the adults prepped a pig or cow for the freezer. I've seen what goes into the ground up scrap pile.

hawgrider
01-14-2015, 04:22 PM
I've been in too many slaughter houses back in the day to even think about eating spam. As a kid we hung around the place while the adults prepped a pig or cow for the freezer. I've seen what goes into the ground up scrap pile.Hot dogs too.
"Parts are part's" :chainsaw::spam:

Inor
01-14-2015, 04:41 PM
You cannot tell me that this does not sound REALLY REALLY good!

http://www.spam.com/recipes/Bacon-Wrapped-SPAM-Bites

James m
01-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Have you guys ever tried diced spam with kernel corn? I myself haven't had it in a number of years. Dice the spam the same size as the kernel corn, then fry up the spam first because it takes longer to cook. Add kernel corn later because it takes less time to cook. You will need a can of spam and a can of kernel corn.

Sparkyprep
01-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Have you guys ever tried diced spam with kernel corn? I myself haven't had it in a number of years. Dice the spam the same size as the kernel corn, then fry up the spam first because it takes longer to cook. Add kernel corn later because it takes less time to cook. You will need a can of spam and a can of kernel corn.

Sounds good

Sarge7402
01-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Spam is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation, first introduced in 1937. The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, sugar, and sodium nitrite as a preservative. Spam's gelatinous glaze, or aspic, forms from the cooling of meat stock.[1]

That should make your mouth water - either that or trip the gag reflex.

:bigboss:

bigwheel
01-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Hey Spam is a good thing fried with Colby cheese....though you can cut it up and put it in ramen noodles with cheese wiz like we did in the field over in Korea.

Well to repeat what I was told by this Korea War Vet at the VFW one time when he was axed, "Did you like Kimchee?" He say, "Hell no..but I ate a lot of it because that was the only way a person could stand to be around the hooers." It sounded highly plausible.