PDA

View Full Version : Midland Walkie-Talkie

Inor
08-15-2016, 06:00 PM
A couple weeks ago Mrs Inor and I bought a pair of Midland GTX2050 walkie talkies for our drive to AZ. I don't know squat about radio things, so I would like to hear your opinions on them. They seem to work pretty well, but then we were all of about 50 feet apart when we tested them. But I do like that they have a weather alert function on them and can pick up NOAA weather broadcasts.

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT2050VP4-50-Channel-36-Mile-Range/dp/B007B5ZNDG/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1471301624&sr=1-10&keywords=midland+gxt1000vp4+36-mile

Arklatex
08-15-2016, 06:15 PM
Mine work great. I've had them for about 2 years. Maybe not the exact model since mine are black and don't have those headsets. But I've gotten around a mile range from them. They would probably work farther than that but we have lots of pine forest that messes up the signal. Good buy imo. One gripe is that one of the battery packs gave out but no big deal since they will also run on regular batteries.

TJC44
08-15-2016, 11:05 PM
Midlands are good radios. Use the GMRS channels as opposed to the FRS. There is less likely to be traffic on the channel. And be sure to set the PL codes the same. Usual OPSEC applies. You never know who's listening.
I've not heard if a common chat channel (like CB19) has grown on the FRS/GMRS band. Would have to research that.

JM2C
TJC