PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated Veteran Threatens to Operate on Himself After VA Refuses to Pay His Medica

hawgrider
05-11-2017, 06:47 AM
“They handed me a slip of paper saying, ‘we are going to have to have you sign this, because the VA says they’re not going to pay the bill,” he said.

Irish receives benefits through the Veterans Affairs Choice program, which allows vets to access private care amidst lengthy wait times at VA medical facilities.

Irish says Veterans’ Choice has refused to pay for other bills and this was the final straw.

“I thought it was about time the VA of New England got exposed for what it’s doing on this Choice program,” he said.

Irish threatened to remove his own sutures, in his home, live on social media. Within hours, the VA agreed to pay for the procedure.

“It’s totally disgusting that they have to threaten, beg or borrow to get medical treatment,” he said.
http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/frustrated-veteran-threatens-to-operate-on-himself-after-va-refuses-to-pay-his-medical-bill_05102017

Broncosfan
05-11-2017, 08:13 AM
I went down this same type road with the VA in Ohio after we moved from SC. My Dad wasn't able to get his medicine without going though all the red tape. Was given a lesser dosage he didn't realize started feeling different. Had a small stoke, then surgery he had a major stroke spent 2 yrs in a nursing home before he died. I certainly believe that all the added stress about his medication sure didn't help his health but ultimately contributed to his stroke and later his death. They ended up sending the correct dosage several months after taking with our Congressman and several unpleasant phone calls from me. By then he had the strokes and was in a nursing home.

Gambit
05-11-2017, 11:42 AM
trouble here is that he is a American and not a illegal

GMFuzy
05-18-2017, 02:35 PM
I had this happen to myself about 4 years ago.
As some of you know, I broke my back in the Navy ( and yes it IS listed as service connected)
Prior to my spinal fusion I had many X-rays, mri's and other various tests.
The VA sent me a bill for roughly $2300 for the MRI. I contacted the billing dept and they had me file a claim.
2 months later I received a denial stating they would not cover it and asked if I had outside insurance.
My outside insurance also refused the bill stating it was the VA's responsibility since the injury was service connected and it was the VA that ordered the MRI.
I again appealed and the following february the VA took the $2100 out of my tax return- 4 months after they botched my surgery, denied me disability and left me in walker.

rice paddy daddy
05-18-2017, 09:46 PM
I am in the VA "health care" system.
I have to go once a year for blood work and a physical, just to stay enrolled.
I do this in case I ever develop one of the diseases the VA recognizes as being caused by Agent Orange exposure. It may cut down on the time it takes to get disability pay and medical treatment, maybe before I die.
Otherwise, I have Medicare, and Medicare supplemental from Humana. $5,000 deductible, but I'll use that before the VA.

The doctors and others at my VA clinic are good people, but if you need anything beyond preventative care you are shit out of luck.

Mister Mills
05-21-2017, 04:08 PM
There is an authoritarian streak in the VA, and it is like power plays are used, to show who is in charge.

Sparkyprep
05-21-2017, 09:14 PM
There is an authoritarian streak in the VA, and it is like power plays are used, to show who is in charge.

There shouldn't be any dick measuring contests when it comes to veteran's healthcare.

Mister Mills
05-23-2017, 12:13 PM
There shouldn't be any dick measuring contests when it comes to veteran's healthcare.

The VA is full of politics, and it is a mine field in my view. Civilians who have never served, seek out power positions; so that they can be in charge of something, and build a cushy career. It has become dangerous to liberty in a lot of ways, because it is a career path, and not a calling.

Civilians who are repulsed at placing themselves into any danger, get to micro-manage men who have served in Fallujah. It is not right, but it is the way of the world; and it pays to keep a sharp eye on any of those pencil pushers. They work behind the scenes, and out of danger, and they are dangerous.