Thread: Yellowstone and being prepared

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Yellowstone and being prepared

As we are talking about Jellystone popping it's lid, I have a few thoughts as to being ready/preparing for the couple of weeks of SHTF. I remember when Mt St Helens blew and what that was like.

I don't have all the correct terms and I'm sure some of my ideas are flawed but this would be a good chance to correct them.

Rain catch systems would have to be sealed off due to the ash and toxicity of any rain that fell. What filter would clean out the acid in the water?

What would you do with your garden? Again, any water would leach acid into the ground and either kill your plants or poison the edibles.

What can you do to keep your livestock and pets safe with all the ash in the air? I remember we couldn't go outside for two days after St Helens and then for a week it was with a dust mask on.

Running generators and any other motor was a sure fired way to ruin it within an hour or so due to the ash scoring the cylinder walls.

In closing- We talk about water, food, and other kinds of SHTF, but what are you doing about an air quality issue?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coppertop For This Useful Post:

Baglady (08-04-2014),omegabrock (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    good topic. to add, are there any other scenarios in the "meh, it might happen" to "it's a decent possibility" that could have the same effects?

Thanks
    Its a hard one for you guys in the states, but stockpile is what is really needed and this is why
    Tom Paris : When a bomb starts talking about
    itself in the third person, I get nervous. - star trek voyager

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    If Yellowstone erupts won't most of the US be fubar? I read it could be up to 2000 times stronger than st. Helens. There is so much data out there it is hard to find out what's bs and what isn't.

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    When Yellowstone has a MAJOR eruption any place downwind within 800 miles is going to be FUBAR. With yards of ash roofs will fail if they are not burned off. Beyond that "hot zone" cooler ash will fall deep enough acros the rest of the USA to the eastern seaboard to make travel very difficult. Walking will be nearly impossible with two to four feet of ash on the ground. Any open water will be muddy grinding compound so even tracked vehicles will be down and out. The European countryside will have over a foot of ash in places and the sky will be dark. Depending on the wind and rain patterns the west coast of the USA might be more or less free from ash, but the dark sky is likely to cover the entire northern hemisphere for a few years. Most of the worlds "bread basket" will be gone for about three years. Aircraft will have to fly around (south of) the ash or between the layers of ash in the air. The ash will short out electric substations if any moisture is present.

A major eruption would be a very bad three or more years, but a minor eruption could be as small as Mt. St. Helens.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pauls For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (08-04-2014),Baglady (08-04-2014),omegabrock (08-04-2014),pheniox17 (08-04-2014)

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    As pauls said, there will be yards of ash covering everything. If you can keep your house from burning up, how do you plan on getting power, water, and what are your plans for sustainable food? It seems to me that a air quality issue is a whole bunch different than a water problem (ohio), a power outage or an economic collapse.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Coppertop For This Useful Post:

omegabrock (08-05-2014)