Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to listen?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    If your going to adjust it frequently I recommend a braided copper or similar... jut to allow you to roll it up or adjust frequency by changing the length

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-17-2017),MountainGirl (12-17-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Length affects frequency? Boy do I have a lot to learn.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (12-18-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    Yes. Higher frequency, shorter line. Lower frequency, longer line.
    Also, any exposed copper / metal at the connection points need to be protected against the weather.
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-17-2017),MountainGirl (12-17-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Mountain Girl,now that I am not battling the snow today with our deadly black assault snowblower,This is what we have, a Grundig globe traveller S/W (short wave) radio.I bought it at Radio shack a few years ago before they failed for $49.99.the link provided (Amazon) is just for information,you can get one a lot cheaper elsewhere probably.it plugs into a wall socket,can use 4 AA batteries, and I am sure since its 6 volt aa 1.5v =6 v.can be adapted for your off grid use. the only antenna I use other than the telescoping antenna on it is a 100 foot piece of copper wire I soldered to an old 6 foot earphone jack that goes outside thru a hole I drilled in a window frame in our second bedroom and it runs up a tree about 25 feet (that's as tall as my tallest ladder)it gets a lot of different frequencies.just make sure to unplug it during a thunderstorm..and its programmable when you find something you want to keep or you can manually type in a freq you may have heard of.there is also a newer model available look at bottom of link....also,C.Crane Co.has their own stuff and these Grundig radios as well.this type radio is pretty good if you just want to find out whats happening around you and the world.when I first got it and hooked it up,I could sit by it and listen for hours but time flies and chore have to be done so,I only devote about an hour a day to listening to it.hope this is not TMI,just trying to help.

https://www.amazon.com/Grundig-Globe.../dp/B001QTXKEW

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p115268z.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	4048
    Last edited by MI.oldguy; 12-17-2017 at 11:53 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MI.oldguy For This Useful Post:

franklin (01-12-2018),Innkeeper (12-17-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MI.oldguy View Post
    Mountain Girl,now that I am not battling the snow today with our deadly black assault snowblower,This is what we have, a Grundig globe traveller S/W (short wave) radio.I bought it at Radio shack a few years ago before they failed for $49.99.the link provided (Amazon) is just for information,you can get one a lot cheaper elsewhere probably.it plugs into a wall socket,can use 4 AA batteries, and I am sure since its 6 volt aa 1.5v =6 v.can be adapted for your off grid use. the only antenna I use other than the telescoping antenna on it is a 100 foot piece of copper wire I soldered to an old 6 foot earphone jack that goes outside thru a hole I drilled in a window frame in our second bedroom and it runs up a tree about 25 feet (that's as tall as my tallest ladder)it gets a lot of different frequencies.just make sure to unplug it during a thunderstorm..and its programmable when you find something you want to keep or you can manually type in a freq you may have heard of.there is also a newer model available look at bottom of link....also,C.Crane Co.has their own stuff and these Grundig radios as well.this type radio is pretty good if you just want to find out whats happening around you and the world.when I first got it and hooked it up,I could sit by it and listen for hours but time flies and chore have to be done so,I only devote about an hour a day to listening to it.hope this is not TMI,just trying to help.

https://www.amazon.com/Grundig-Globe.../dp/B001QTXKEW

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p115268z.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	4048
    Hi and thanks for this, not TMI at all, and was kinda what I was looking for when I started the thread...but I got so much more thanks to the folks here willing to share and wanting to help. Very much appreciated, all of it. What gauge is the copper wire you ran?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

MI.oldguy (12-17-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Direction finding is far more difficult than some realize and easier than many realize depending on where you live.
    Having read OSFG's DF thread, several times, my leanings towards 'listening only' have increased.

I was going to ask (over there) just generally..who all has the kind of knowledge and high-tech equipment for doing these things? Like..would local SO/PDs have this capability? Would area military (NGs, etc) ?

Then I realized how irrelevant that question is. They'd be too busy to point anything in our direction. That said...there are, um, private groups within 50 miles of us that undoubtedly have the DF ability that might eventually get around to wandering up here, depending on what kind of an event it is, not to mention the random MacGyver like you guys, who might cobble up a yardstick & wire & string & a tree...and want to come eat our Cheerios. Y'all would be welcome, them not so much. OSFG can find us & Slippy can bring the milk.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Hi and thanks for this, not TMI at all, and was kinda what I was looking for when I started the thread...but I got so much more thanks to the folks here willing to share and wanting to help. Very much appreciated, all of it. What gauge is the copper wire you ran?
    It was 18 Ga.that I salvaged from an old electric motor,I think if I remember right,it was a washing machine motor.they have miles of copper winding in them.I see useable stuff in old junk.

Quote,by MG.
    I was going to ask (over there) just generally..who all has the kind of knowledge and high-tech equipment for doing these things? Like..would local SO/PDs have this capability? Would area military (NGs, etc) ?.

Generally,OG Ham radio operators are called "Elmer's" basically some of the older guys that are retired and Jaw all day on their ham (amateur radio).

The term "Elmer"--meaning someone who provides personal guidance and assistance to would-be hams--first appeared in QST in a March 1971 "How's DX" column by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD (now also VA3ZBB). Newkirk called them "the unsung fathers of Amateur Radio."

If you transmit illegally meaning you have some type of ham radio,without a license,they can (most of the time) and will triangulate your location to find you
    and normally call the FCC (federal communications commision)and report you for operating without a license.I have heard stories of hams finding people and ripping down antennas,cutting coax wire,etc.

You can buy small ham radios for as little as $39.00 but must be licensed to talk on it and at the lowest level,you can take a test from the FCC and get a technician license to get you started DX'ing (transmitting).

Come SHTF,if that ever happens,the LEO's and Govt.will be too busy.but,they do have the means to find people but you (illegally DX'ing) and others would just be little fish,to them.
    Last edited by MI.oldguy; 12-17-2017 at 05:05 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MI.oldguy For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (12-18-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! DerBiermeister's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,513 Posts
    Mt girl
    Hi there

I've toyed with the HAM stuff, was even going to take a class, but after buying a very nice portable unit from Yaesu (which I've since sold), I found that the subject matter is just too damn complicated for my old age. Like you, I've therefore decided that for long range, I'll just stick with receivers.

No matter what else you buy, I would highly recommend that you purchase a very good Police scanner. I have a Uniden BCD436HP. Comes with a rubber-ducky but you can always purchase an enhanced ducky or hook-up to some form of antenna system already covered in this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BCD436.../dp/B00I33XDAK

Buy used or reconditioned maybe from ebay and save big bucks.
    “Keep your scope up and we’ll shoot that SOB down the throat” -- Dudley "Mush" Morton, USS Wahoo
    "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" -- Adm William "Bull" Halsey

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DerBiermeister For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (12-18-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBiermeister View Post
    Mt girl
    Hi there

I've toyed with the HAM stuff, was even going to take a class, but after buying a very nice portable unit from Yaesu (which I've since sold), I found that the subject matter is just too damn complicated for my old age. Like you, I've therefore decided that for long range, I'll just stick with receivers.

No matter what else you buy, I would highly recommend that you purchase a very good Police scanner. I have a Uniden BCD436HP. Comes with a rubber-ducky but you can always purchase an enhanced ducky or hook-up to some form of antenna system already covered in this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BCD436.../dp/B00I33XDAK

Buy used or reconditioned maybe from ebay and save big bucks.
    Good ideas, thanks! Is there a HF receiver you like/use?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MI.oldguy View Post
    It was 18 Ga.that I salvaged from an old electric motor,I think if I remember right,it was a washing machine motor.they have miles of copper winding in them.I see useable stuff in old junk.

Quote,by MG.
    I was going to ask (over there) just generally..who all has the kind of knowledge and high-tech equipment for doing these things? Like..would local SO/PDs have this capability? Would area military (NGs, etc) ?.

Generally,OG Ham radio operators are called "Elmer's" basically some of the older guys that are retired and Jaw all day on their ham (amateur radio).

The term "Elmer"--meaning someone who provides personal guidance and assistance to would-be hams--first appeared in QST in a March 1971 "How's DX" column by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD (now also VA3ZBB). Newkirk called them "the unsung fathers of Amateur Radio."

If you transmit illegally meaning you have some type of ham radio,without a license,they can (most of the time) and will triangulate your location to find you
    and normally call the FCC (federal communications commision)and report you for operating without a license.I have heard stories of hams finding people and ripping down antennas,cutting coax wire,etc.

You can buy small ham radios for as little as $39.00 but must be licensed to talk on it and at the lowest level,you can take a test from the FCC and get a technician license to get you started DX'ing (transmitting).

Come SHTF,if that ever happens,the LEO's and Govt.will be too busy.but,they do have the means to find people but you (illegally DX'ing) and others would just be little fish,to them.
    ^^^That settles that. LOL

Right now, it feels like our comms will start with something like the C Crane 2E, and a Ham receiver, and a police scanner. It will be fun to learn (through research and trial & error) and set up the wires.

Thanks, MIoldguy, you've been a great help.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-18-2017),juskom95 (12-18-2017),MI.oldguy (12-18-2017)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast