Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to listen?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    I appreciate the fact that you and your mate want to be stand-alone, self sufficient preppers in SHTF. But, in my opinion, two people, alone, against the entire world simply wont last long, and is impractical. Humans, as well as many other species, survive, thrive, and are successfull because of our social abilities. Communities are one main reason that humans became the dominant species on Earth. No one can know how to do everything, all the time. To survive SHTF, you are going to need knowledge, supplies, and resources that you simply dont have, but a trusted friend might. You will eventually need to be able to call for help.
    Sparkyprep, hi. I appreciate your words and concern - and you would be right if we were normal people; we're not.

Nor is it a matter of 'two people against the world'. We're not 'against' anything, just have no use for it; and I doubt the 'world' has any interest in us... we're not rich enough, or important enough, to bother with...even if someone could find their way up here. We're old folks, and eventually we'll die up here - but until then we live up here, running naked wild-assed and free, lol. We drive down to town on occasion in the summer for a beer & some slow-elk, but everything we need to survive is already here - and I'm not talking about long-term food & supplies, things that eventually run out, etc. We subscribe to the old ways; EMP wont affect us other than switching out the well pump to a manual water draw...and drying the venison in the freezer, etc. Wont miss the internet (except for OTP of course!) and there is no one to 'call for help', so it's on us to handle whatever comes, and our choice to live in this manner, which we're already doing, and wouldn't trade it for the world.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

DerBiermeister (12-17-2017),hawgrider (12-15-2017),Innkeeper (12-16-2017),Inor (12-15-2017),juskom95 (12-15-2017),MI.oldguy (12-17-2017),Sparkyprep (12-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    So... I was thinking maybe something like this to start with?

Any SHTF (up to EMP) this might be enough...to listen. Or, we might want more.

https://www.rei.com/product/874373/c...enhanced-radio

Attachment 4042
    C Crane CCRadio-2E Enhanced Radio

Features

NOAA Weather Band with loud alert and 2-Meter Ham band help keep you informed during storms and emergencies
    5 memory buttons on top of the radio make it easier to change stations rather than front-mounted buttons
    Auto-search 5 progammable memories for Ham radio communications; sensitivity/squelch can be adjusted for best results
    Patented Twin-Coil FerriteŽ AM antenna provides a noticeable boost to weak AM signals
    After you select a station, the radio evaluates the signal for several seconds and then locks it in for the best possible signal
    Display features a full backlight with 3 levels of brightness; when turned on, it shows the station you are on and then automatically changes to the clock after 15 seconds
    The C Crane CCRadio-2E Enhanced Radio features adjustable bass and treble, clock alarm, sleep timer, auto scan, stereo headphone jack, line-input jack and line-output jack
    Runs on included AC power cord or 4 "D" batteries (sold separately)

All thoughts welcome.
    Last edited by MountainGirl; 12-15-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,017 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Sparkyprep, hi. I appreciate your words and concern - and you would be right if we were normal people; we're not.

Nor is it a matter of 'two people against the world'. We're not 'against' anything, just have no use for it; and I doubt the 'world' has any interest in us... we're not rich enough, or important enough, to bother with...even if someone could find their way up here. We're old folks, and eventually we'll die up here - but until then we live up here, running naked wild-assed and free, lol. We drive down to town on occasion in the summer for a beer & some slow-elk, but everything we need to survive is already here - and I'm not talking about long-term food & supplies, things that eventually run out, etc. We subscribe to the old ways; EMP wont affect us other than switching out the well pump to a manual water draw...and drying the venison in the freezer, etc. Wont miss the internet (except for OTP of course!) and there is no one to 'call for help', so it's on us to handle whatever comes, and our choice to live in this manner, which we're already doing, and wouldn't trade it for the world.
    Your situation sounds VERY similar to what Mrs Inor and I are building with M. T. Acres. Keep a very LOW profile and be forgotten in the unfashionable backwaters of nowhere.

If you are interested in HAM radio stuff, I strongly suggest you PM Paraquack on the green site. He is a hardcore HAM guy and is very good at explaining things in English to those of us that do not speak HAM language. We have met him a couple times in real life and he is damn good guy. Plus, he might be able to steer you away from some problem units. He sent me an e-mail this week about some Baofeng (spelling?) radios that he had stored in EMP containers that did not survive too well, even without an EMP.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-16-2017),juskom95 (12-15-2017),MountainGirl (12-15-2017),Slippy (12-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    He sent me an e-mail this week about some Baofeng (spelling?) radios that he had stored in EMP containers that did not survive too well, even without an EMP.
    I've heard people raving about those Baofeng radios, I've always had doubts about them, being cheap pieces of Chinese crap. Did he say what happened to them?
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post
    I've heard people raving about those Baofeng radios, I've always had doubts about them, being cheap pieces of Chinese crap. Did he say what happened to them?
    He stores them in some kind of heavy anti-static bags and then inside sealed metal containers. They worked when he stored them away several months ago. He took them out and they tested them and they no longer receive shit. Obviously, in the middle of the desert, humidity is not the problem. The last e-mail on it that I got from him was the day before yesterday and he was trying to track down individual circuits that failed... The same black magic you work. But I have not heard a conclusion.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Your situation sounds VERY similar to what Mrs Inor and I are building with M. T. Acres. Keep a very LOW profile and be forgotten in the unfashionable backwaters of nowhere.

If you are interested in HAM radio stuff, I strongly suggest you PM Paraquack on the green site. He is a hardcore HAM guy and is very good at explaining things in English to those of us that do not speak HAM language. We have met him a couple times in real life and he is damn good guy. Plus, he might be able to steer you away from some problem units. He sent me an e-mail this week about some Baofeng (spelling?) radios that he had stored in EMP containers that did not survive too well, even without an EMP.
    Thanks for that. BTW, just bookmarked your mtacres link; will very much enjoy reading it. You want thoughts/questions/feedback on it or maybe here somewhere instead? Our 'environments' are opposites, lol, but some tricks might work anywhere.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Inor (12-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    I have listened to radio all around the world. Here is what I know.

Most short range radio 30-50 miles or so is typically HF, VHF, or UHF line of site communications. These are transmitted typically with vertically polarized antennas (think Pole or a 1/4 wave slant).

To effectively receive them you want to also be vertically polarized with your antenna or you will take roughly a 22dB hit in receive quality. What that means is that what you might hear with a regular radio (down to - 90dB or so) you won't hear unless it is roughly 10 times closer to you. Also many are repeated through repeater systems.

These do not have to be very big antennas, since your not transmitting, but they need to be of the correct wave length as to your target frequency range.

Longer range radio transmission (300 miles and beyond) are typically bounced off the atmosphere back to earth (BBC, Public broadcast) These are most effectively done with horizontal polarized antennas, such as di-poles, inverted vee's etc. The same holds true about matching the polarization. So the quality can be affected by the direction of your dipole. (Think running it north/south to best hear signals from Europe or Japan...vise East/west to hear from central America, Canada...etc.)

I have transmitted and received from 3,000 miles using nothing but wire, some string, a rock, and a tree.so it doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor. Just gotta know a little math.

I am a big fan of the inverted Vee antenna since it actually has more of a diagonal portion that reduces the loss of mis matched polarity stations, down to about 3dB.... essentially lets you recieve both vertical and horizontal with less loss.
    Last edited by OSFG; 12-15-2017 at 09:38 PM.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-16-2017),Inor (12-15-2017),juskom95 (12-15-2017),MountainGirl (12-15-2017),Slippy (12-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Thanks for that. BTW, just bookmarked your mtacres link; will very much enjoy reading it. You want thoughts/questions/feedback on it or maybe here somewhere instead? Our 'environments' are opposites, lol, but some tricks might work anywhere.
    Post 'em there. Post 'em here. Whatever.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (12-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OSFG View Post
    I have listened to radio all around the world. Here is what I know.

Most short range radio 30-50 miles or so is typically HF, VHF, or UHF line of site communications. These are transmitted typically with vertically polarized antennas (think Pole).

To effectively receive them you want to also be vertically polarized with your antenna or you will take roughly a 22dB hit in receive quality. What that means is that what you might hear with a regular radio (down to - 90dB or so) you won't hear unless it is roughly 10 times closer to you. Also many are repeated through repeater systems.

These do not have to be very big antennas, since your not transmitting, but they need to be of the correct wave length as to your target frequency range.

Longer range radio transmission (300 miles and beyond) are typically bounced off the atmosphere back to earth (BBC, Public broadcast) These are most effectively done with horizontal polarized antennas, such as di-poles, inverted vee's etc. The same holds true about matching the polarization. So the quality can be affected by the direction of your dipole. (Think running it north/south to best hear signals from Europe or Japan...vise East/west to hear from central America, Canada...etc.)

I have transmitted and received from 3,000 miles using nothing but wire, some string, a rock, and a tree.so it doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor. Just gotta know a little math.
    Wow, thanks for that. I need to research antenna orientation, etc.

One of the reviews on that REI site, said this:

The twin ferrite internal antenna is highly effective, but in the unlikely event you need stronger reception you have the option of attaching a 50-foot insulated wire to a rear connector for even stronger signals.
    Now, I dont know if that 50-foot wire is an extra that can be bought, or just something that user did, but either way we'd want to run 100' up the hill - or would going up the hill even be necessary?

If I'm asking too much from ya, feel free to point me to the best 'Antennas for Dummies' website you know of. I need that anyway, lol.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    One thing to keep in mind is Line loss. Most cable, even the best cable can lose close to 3 dB over 100 foot run (For transmitting that is a reduction by half of your radiated power. For recieve it equals about a 1/4 reduction in range/quality). Line loss can be recovered by a Low Noise Amplifier (LNA).

Going up the hill depends on where you expect to receive from. Obviously higher usually means better as far as line of sight comms, But will not help greatly if your listening to skywave signals, unless the mountain/hill is in the direction of the distant station.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (12-16-2017),MountainGirl (12-16-2017)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast