Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canning game meat

Canning game meat

Attempting to can meat (or any other low acid food, for that matter) without the use of a pressure canner is every bit as foolhardy as arming up with the wrong gun for your chosen quarry … sort of like going after grizzly with a .22 rifle!
    Most old-timers like my grandma never heard of pressure canners so they used the boiling water bath method to can jars. I’m thankful that we never got sick eating Grandma’s canned goods. The highest temperature a boiling water bath canner can reach is 180° F, which is considered safe for canning high acid foods like fruits, jams, and jellies. For processing low-acid foods, only a pressure canner can reach the internal temperature of at least 240° F, which is required to kill botulinum toxins.
    If you’re not familiar with pressure canners, don’t confuse them with pressure cookers. Pressure cookers are strictly meant to be used for making fast suppers. Pressure cookers are not designed to reach high enough temperatures or maintain the adequate pressure needed for safe canning.
    Pressure canners, on the other hand, are made especially for the purpose of canning low-acid foods and come in various sizes from around 10 to more than 40 quarts. The size refers to the capacity of the pot " not how many jars it will hold. For instance, a 10.5 quart canner will process up to four quart jars or seven pint jars in one session.
    There are two main types of pressure canners: dial-gauge and weighted-gauge. You can read the pressure on a dial-gauge model and thus control it by either turning the temperature up or down to raise or lower the heat as needed. A weighted-gauge regulates pressure inside the canner and automatically releases any pressure above the desired amount.
    The plus side of a weighted-gauge model is that they do not need to be periodically tested for accuracy as does the dial-gauge model. The disadvantage of a weighted-gauge model is that people who live at altitudes above sea level have to process their foods at a higher pressure.
    Pressure canners can be expensive but are well worth the investment for the peace of mind they afford knowing you’re doing it right! They have a very long life when properly cared for and maintained. I have a dial-gauge, 15½-quart canner with the old-fashioned “petcock” on it that is more than 20 years old and it is still in top working condition " perfect for canning smaller batches of food. I also have a 30-quart newer model with the weighted pressure regulator that allows me to can a larger batch in one session.
    After a few canning seasons,
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/canning-game-meat/
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-04-2018),RubberDuck (01-04-2018),StratBastard (05-01-2020)

Take me to task if you wish, I still can the way my mother and grandmother did, nobody has ever been sick, and canned venison is the best......

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rstanek For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-04-2018),Dwight55 (05-01-2020),hag (05-01-2020),hawgrider (01-04-2018),MountainGirl (01-04-2018),RubberDuck (01-04-2018),shootbrownelk (01-04-2018),StratBastard (05-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    Take me to task if you wish, I still can the way my mother and grandmother did, nobody has ever been sick, and canned venison is the best......
    Pressure cooker here always for meat. If you waterbath meat the risk is pretty high! Why take the risk over purchasing a pressure canner?
    Is it really worth the risk of botulism? For me the answer will always be no.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (01-04-2018),hag (05-01-2020),RubberDuck (01-04-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    And how did your mother and grandmother do it?
    I hope you can share... cause it's time for me to get busy.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    And how did your mother and grandmother do it?
    I hope you can share... cause it's time for me to get busy.
    They water bathed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (05-02-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,183 Times in 4,306 Posts
    My aunt didn't even own a water bath canner.

She did everything except jelly in 1/2 gallon jars, . . . jelly and jam went into the small jars, . . . the quarts.

There was a minimum of 12 at her table at feeding time, . . .

She used a wash tub, . . . over a wood fire out in the front yard, . . . with water from the creek behind the house.

Had an old piece of metal roofing for a lid, . . .

I ate there all the time growing up, . . . whenever Mom wanted to go visit, . . . went with her, . . .

Aunt Inez didn't have a huge menu that she cooked off of, . . . but what she did cook, . . . never hurt anyone.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (05-01-2020),hag (05-01-2020),hawgrider (05-01-2020),Innkeeper (05-01-2020),MountainGirl (05-01-2020),shootbrownelk (05-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    My aunt didn't even own a water bath canner.

She did everything except jelly in 1/2 gallon jars, . . . jelly and jam went into the small jars, . . . the quarts.

There was a minimum of 12 at her table at feeding time, . . .

She used a wash tub, . . . over a wood fire out in the front yard, . . . with water from the creek behind the house.

Had an old piece of metal roofing for a lid, . . .

I ate there all the time growing up, . . . whenever Mom wanted to go visit, . . . went with her, . . .

Aunt Inez didn't have a huge menu that she cooked off of, . . . but what she did cook, . . . never hurt anyone.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Sounds familiar lolol... we can in half gallons still
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (05-01-2020),hawgrider (05-01-2020),MountainGirl (05-01-2020),shootbrownelk (05-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by hag View Post
    Sounds familiar lolol... we can in half gallons still
    The Ball food nazi's say no no no but like you guys say its been being done for a century or so.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (05-01-2020),shootbrownelk (05-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    The Ball food nazi's say no no no but like you guys say its been being done for a century or so.
    Had to get the time weight etc... from my grandma's old hand written recipe books cause everything said it was unsafe on the internet lolol
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (05-01-2020),Innkeeper (05-01-2020),shootbrownelk (05-02-2020)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    They water bathed.
    For how long?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (05-02-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast