Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Clueless Delusional 'Preppers'

Quote Originally Posted by Unclefred View Post
    The problem with most peoples view on a shtf scenario is that it's colored by TV, Movies and online paranoia. It assumes everyone will be at their worst and all for themselves. I don't think that is the historic reality of humanity in major crises. With exceptions, but exceptions don't make the rule.
    Don't take offense at what I am saying or anything, but I am making taking an exception to your view. It isn't wrong or anything, it is just that I have had experiences that were fraught with danger; or death, if they had caught me just right.

Keep in mind that my perceptions are colored by a lot of reading, and thinking too hard sometimes; and maybe making mountains out of molehills. Yet, it is also colored by sad experience, like being chased by a gang, and having to use my .45 to back 'em down. And on another occasion, drawing my Gerber Gator on them, and backing them down that way.

I would have killed them either way, or messed them up beyond repair. That happened in a town of 50,000 people, which was invaded by Detroit/NYC gang lander's, who recruited the locals. It has happened in a lot of America.
    “He had been all things, and all was of little value.” Said of Severus Emperor of Rome.

(As quoted by Gibbons, in Decline of the Roman Empire.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Mills For This Useful Post:

Unclefred (01-07-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,663 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Maybe perhaps one needs to clarify what a shtf scenario means. First there are events of short duration. Hurricanes and tornado's come to mind. Then there are local SHTF - like our furnace going out four days ago and the coldest weather on the east coast in over a decade. Other local events could include a land war (non Nuke) on the Korean *****nular - trust me in the 80's after Park was killed it sure looked like it was a gonna happen. Then there's those SFTH that are world wide - the depression of the late 20's - early 30's is a good example. Then there's the type - man made or natural disaster; financial collapse, pandemic, World War, Zombie Apocalypse (had to enter the bizzare into the mix), break down in government.

Depending on where you sit for each of these types of event you could be in the middle of it or not touched at all. Each type of event can have a totally different response, so being prepared for them may require different plans and resources. In some cases staying in central florida is not such a bad idea.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sarge7402 For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-08-2018),MountainGirl (01-06-2018),Unclefred (01-07-2018)

Don't get too close, I bite! DerBiermeister's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,513 Posts
    IMO, the SHTF event is going to be so horrific, that none of us are going to survive for very long.

Too many "bad" countries have nukes. Forgetting for a moment about NK and Iran, the ones that really scare me are India and Pakistan. If the balloon goes up with them, it will very quickly evolve into an all-out nuclear war with the rest of the world. The USA will be targeted pdq by China and Russia just because they will feel that we will do a pre-emptive strike on them and no one will have the time to call a halt to the madness. It will expedite so quick it will make your head swim. The number of nukes going off around the world will be in the hundreds. Radiation exposure will be the death of us all unless of course you happen to live in a hardened bunker built for such an event. I really don't look forward to that kind of death (by radiation), so I hope I happen to be right under ground zero when it all starts.

Coming in a close second place for what I think is coming is the super volcano explosion of Yellowstone. If it blows the way they say it could, bend over and kiss your butt goodbye. Being buried under many inches of volcanic ash will not be a fun way to live for however long our life expectancy is predicted.
    “Keep your scope up and we’ll shoot that SOB down the throat” -- Dudley "Mush" Morton, USS Wahoo
    "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" -- Adm William "Bull" Halsey

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DerBiermeister For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (01-06-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge7402 View Post
    Maybe perhaps one needs to clarify what a shtf scenario means. First there are events of short duration. Hurricanes and tornado's come to mind. Then there are local SHTF - like our furnace going out four days ago and the coldest weather on the east coast in over a decade. Other local events could include a land war (non Nuke) on the Korean *****nular - trust me in the 80's after Park was killed it sure looked like it was a gonna happen. Then there's those SFTH that are world wide - the depression of the late 20's - early 30's is a good example. Then there's the type - man made or natural disaster; financial collapse, pandemic, World War, Zombie Apocalypse (had to enter the bizzare into the mix), break down in government.

Depending on where you sit for each of these types of event you could be in the middle of it or not touched at all. Each type of event can have a totally different response, so being prepared for them may require different plans and resources. In some cases staying in central florida is not such a bad idea.
    Hi Sarge, and you're right, it depends on what it is that happens... think what I had in mind when starting the thread was an event that was too big for the govt to rescue everybody, and the reaction of the people as soon as they realized they were on their own. It's the people, the sheeple, that are different, now, and maybe not taken into enough consideration in prepper's decisions. Here's a great animated vid I just found... maybe you've seen it before...

Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBiermeister View Post
    IMO, the SHTF event is going to be so horrific, that none of us are going to survive for very long.

Too many "bad" countries have nukes. Forgetting for a moment about NK and Iran, the ones that really scare me are India and Pakistan. If the balloon goes up with them, it will very quickly evolve into an all-out nuclear war with the rest of the world. The USA will be targeted pdq by China and Russia just because they will feel that we will do a pre-emptive strike on them and no one will have the time to call a halt to the madness. It will expedite so quick it will make your head swim. The number of nukes going off around the world will be in the hundreds. Radiation exposure will be the death of us all unless of course you happen to live in a hardened bunker built for such an event. I really don't look forward to that kind of death (by radiation), so I hope I happen to be right under ground zero when it all starts.

Coming in a close second place for what I think is coming is the super volcano explosion of Yellowstone. If it blows the way they say it could, bend over and kiss your butt goodbye. Being buried under many inches of volcanic ash will not be a fun way to live for however long our life expectancy is predicted.
    Your first scenario reminded me of the'83 movie War Games with Matthew Broderick. Yeah, Yellowstone. It's downwind of us but I don't think that would matter much...

Anything could happen at any time; some events are more likely than others. It might be that the best any of us can to is to live our lives in the way that brings us the most joy, make choices and decisions with the best information possible, and just not worry about it. What comes, comes, and if we're all nuked - God will sort us out.
    Thanks for your reply, stay safe.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,017 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclefred View Post
    The problem with most peoples view on a shtf scenario is that it's colored by TV, Movies and online paranoia. It assumes everyone will be at their worst and all for themselves. I don't think that is the historic reality of humanity in major crises. With exceptions, but exceptions don't make the rule.
    I think you are 100% correct outside of major metropolitan areas.

One of the main reasons we chose to build M.T. Acres where we did is because the people here are mostly good genuine country people. Our belief was validated last spring. Most of you will remember some of my posts from last May/June when the wildfire was threatening M.T. Acres. I cannot count the number of folks we met that were boarding horses and even cattle on their land for complete strangers who were threatened by the fire. There were even ads in the local newspaper offering land to keep stock for free for the folks threatened by the fire. And that does not include the number of people from the little town near us (population of about 500 this time of year, normally about 200) who just showed up at the fire lines and said "put us to work".

Cities, on the other hand, are a completely different matter. Most folks in the city are self-absorbed. I think it is because there enough people in close proximity, you have the option of choosing friends that are exactly like you.

You also have the option of not having to have skills in a wide variety of areas. A few years ago I had a broker that would find computer work for me. He drug me over to London on a training engagement and took me to supper in a very upscale restaurant (I assume to impress me). I never give details of my personal life to people I do business with. So, unprompted by me, this stick goes off on a diatribe about how perfectly inept he is at anything regarding home maintenance. He grew up in Manhattan and now lives in Boston and he viewed it as a sign of success that he had to call an electrician to replace a light switch. I had a few too many beers and asked him if he had to sit to take a piss too. (Obviously, I do not do business with him anymore.)

My point is, folks that live in mass population centers generally do not cultivate the skills to get by in a bad situation; folks in the country can generally do a little bit of everything, even if they cannot do it exceptionally well. Which would you rather have as neighbors SHTF?
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-08-2018),MountainGirl (01-07-2018),Unclefred (01-07-2018)

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    That's all well and good when society is functional however when it collapses and basic survival takes over when their loved ones are starving or dying in front of them and their neighbors no matter what community city or country will be targets.
    Unless you have a preplaned group of people you can trust with your childs life then anyone and everyone in shtf is a potential threat. Period...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (01-07-2018),juskom95 (01-08-2018),MountainGirl (01-08-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,663 Times in 1,211 Posts
    First, the mega SHTF event that Mtn Gal described while it is within the realm of possibility, the likelyhood of one happening is very low (IMHO). But on the other hand, the results of communities coming together during the hurricane season last I think is ay bell weather makrer for what will likely happen in most non catastrophic events. One needs to remember that restoring the electrical grid (not the whole system as in Puerto Rico) in Florida was done almost totally by the private sector. Just like it always has been.

As for the sheeple as we tend to call them, the majority are going to be hurt. With regards to ghetto folk gangs raiding the outside of their inner city world, you may have some, but bigger pickings are closer to the bigger cities. 30 - 40 miles out there's little in most cases but farm and crop land

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sarge7402 For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-08-2018),MountainGirl (01-08-2018),Unclefred (01-07-2018)

Little Miss Chatterbox Unclefred's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    I hope your right, but I'm wondering... Did the historic reality of humanity include several generations (1980's to now) of people with a strongly developed sense of instant desire fulfillment and entitlement? There are still lots of people who have a strong work-ethic; hopefully there's enough of them and they're not to old... but even they will put self/family first; as they should, imo.

There's still the matter of logistics/resources. Local help may be provided, for a time, while there's something there to help with. Outside help might be long in coming, if it does.
    Maybe when the phones go dark and the atm doesn't work people will be able to surprise themselves and rise to the occasion. I wouldn't want to be living anywhere around ethnic ghettos if I had the choice.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclefred For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post

My turn to play devil's advocate, lol.

Other than your family, who I assume you'd let in, how many starving folks will be crawling your way, and will you shoot them when they reach your gate?
    Close family consists my 2 daughter's and their husband's and children. After that...

All surviving trespassers will be shot again!

No handouts period... all that will do is cause a chain reaction with no good to come of it.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (01-07-2018)

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast