Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart Meters

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,120 Times in 10,468 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    When I built Slippy Lodge, my choice was to accept the Smart Meter or allow some numbskull access to my property to read my meter monthly. I decided to go with the Smart Meter and take my chances that 300+ million people's info will freakin' overwhelm the idiots who monitor this shit.

**** em, I say
    Not for M.T. Acres! We are strictly propane baby and I even got a line on a guy that will sell it to me for cash (at a good discount of course). Now if I could just get the Goddamn plumber to show up and hook up the gas lines I'd have it made...
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-11-2018),MountainGirl (01-11-2018),Ricekila (01-11-2018),Slippy (01-11-2018),Unclefred (01-11-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,115 Times in 14,733 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    No its a great post! And a good video! People should know about it. I already knew but it was a trade off for keeping my backyard secure. Nothing to hide about my electric habits... I just didnt want the brothas who read the meters in my fenced back yard. So it was a trade off.
    The Meme gif I posted didn't show
    Keep Your Head Up, And your Stick On The Ice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (01-11-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,352 Times in 5,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BucketBack View Post
    The Meme gif I posted didn't show
    maybe its Big Brother banned.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (01-11-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Two things about smart meters:

1 - Depending on the area, region, city and county homeowners have the option of replacing the smart meters with the old analog meters. They have to pay for it, but it can be replaced.

2 - Utility companies still have the right/power to enter your property to manually read the meter or check on their equipment. Having a meter which can be read from the road does not remove the easement laws.

That said, some of the new smart meters are very invasive. I know here in KY they can/will turn off your furnace and AC unit if they draw "too much," during a period of time along with other "high energy use devices." This was stated (in the fine print) when the local utilities tried to get my house to switch. Right now we still have the old analog meter.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

MI.oldguy (01-11-2018),Ricekila (01-11-2018),Walter Tyler (01-11-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,537 Times in 6,093 Posts
    This is why I sit in the dark --

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / NYSRPA member / GOA member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / Wayne County PA - visitors CCW holder / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

The word liberal is a misnomer ( look it up )

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Μολών Λaβέ

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-11-2018),Unclefred (01-11-2018),Walter Tyler (01-11-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    Two things about smart meters:

1 - Depending on the area, region, city and county homeowners have the option of replacing the smart meters with the old analog meters. They have to pay for it, but it can be replaced.

2 - Utility companies still have the right/power to enter your property to manually read the meter or check on their equipment. Having a meter which can be read from the road does not remove the easement laws.

That said, some of the new smart meters are very invasive. I know here in KY they can/will turn off your furnace and AC unit if they draw "too much," during a period of time along with other "high energy use devices." This was stated (in the fine print) when the local utilities tried to get my house to switch. Right now we still have the old analog meter.
    ON Residential units??? I have see this on highrise buildings in Saint Louis, but a separate meter "circuit" has to be installed on the equipment. I could see the Electric Company changing the wave length so certain motors wont work but SOMETHING has to be on the equipment for them just to shut that off during high use times... other wise folks WOULD be sitting in the dark.

Ameren has an easement on to Tyler Island. They even have their own lock on the gate. IT has never been used with out permission/notice. Most folks cant even find the gate. We lost grid power for a couple of days last year when the floods took out the power pole to the Island. Ameren didnt even know we were out, so Im not sure if we got a "smart" meter or not. It IS digital.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-11-2018),Ricekila (01-11-2018),Slippy (01-11-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
    ON Residential units??? I have see this on highrise buildings in Saint Louis, but a separate meter "circuit" has to be installed on the equipment. I could see the Electric Company changing the wave length so certain motors wont work but SOMETHING has to be on the equipment for them just to shut that off during high use times... other wise folks WOULD be sitting in the dark.
    The new smart meters have more pieces I believe. Keep in mind things like the AC compressor and furnace are their own circuit too.

Ameren has an easement on to Tyler Island. They even have their own lock on the gate. IT has never been used with out permission/notice. Most folks cant even find the gate. We lost grid power for a couple of days last year when the floods took out the power pole to the Island. Ameren didnt even know we were out, so Im not sure if we got a "smart" meter or not.
    I have a dog (looks like a fake Pitbull from a distance), which stopped any of the meter readers and line workers from entering my property without notification first. After two accidents (line worker didn't tell us he was there and I let the dog outside . . . .) they knock now.

It IS digital.
    I believer there are different kinds of smart meters out there. My parents' had one on their old home for about a decade, but the power company didn't have any more power than they did before. The new ones I was offered are truly worrisome.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (01-11-2018),Walter Tyler (01-11-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    They changed to smart meters here a while ago.our dog misses the meter reader because he used to talk to her and give her biscuits.

The township is changing to smart water meters in the spring.wife's uncle said that his water bill went up considerably,he called the water board (heh)and they said the old mechanical ones slow down with age.looks like our water bill will probably go up too.

Still have older style NG meter but gas guy reads ours with bino's.lazy bastard.good thing some meters are on sides of some houses.

I have read about peak times and people with smart appliances getting shut off by the power companies.all our stuff is dumb old school...

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MI.oldguy For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-11-2018),MountainGirl (01-11-2018),Ricekila (01-11-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,537 Times in 6,093 Posts
    The only S/M's we have around here is the water meter -- instead of mailing in the card -- they drive down the street in the Prius with the big antenna on the roof -- the little antenna on the meter in the basement I covered with 3 layers of tin foil with just a little hole on the street side - to stop or distort the sideways pinging --

They wanna know how often I wash my ------------- feet -- fine -- LOL

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / NYSRPA member / GOA member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / Wayne County PA - visitors CCW holder / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

The word liberal is a misnomer ( look it up )

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Μολών Λaβέ

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (01-11-2018),MountainGirl (01-11-2018),Slippy (01-11-2018),Walter Tyler (01-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by MI.oldguy View Post
    They changed to smart meters here a while ago.our dog misses the meter reader because he used to talk to her and give her biscuits.

The township is changing to smart water meters in the spring.wife's uncle said that his water bill went up considerably,he called the water board (heh)and they said the old mechanical ones slow down with age.looks like our water bill will probably go up too.

Still have older style NG meter but gas guy reads ours with bino's.lazy bastard.good thing some meters are on sides of some houses.

I have read about peak times and people with smart appliances getting shut off by the power companies.all our stuff is dumb old school...
    Thats some high tech shit for being up der in da U.P eh!.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast