Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prepper stuff I've learned this year

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    So we had our inspection today and failed as I expected. But what surprised me was what we failed on. He failed us because we did not have sediment traps on the propane lines, which after he explained to me what sediment traps were, makes perfect sense. The plumber is coming in the morning to install them.

The second problem was we do not have arc fault breakers on the electrical circuits for the bedrooms. That was one that I wondered about, but it was not a requirement when we pulled the permits, but has since become a requirement. I called the builder, since the breaker panel was done during his part of the build. He mentioned that he told the electricians to install arc fault breakers and they even had a box of them at the house during their work, but must not have installed them. He figures they did not install them, trying to "get one past" the inspector and used them on another job. They are going to install them next Monday or Tuesday. Too bad boys, I am not going to pay you extra for them as they are about $120 each as opposed to about $8 each for normal breakers.

But what really shocked me was what he said about the work Mrs Inor and I have done. He said that we FAR exceeded code on our part and that our craftsmanship was as good or better than the pros!

So, hopefully next Wednesday or Thursday, our man Zach, the inspector, will be coming back to do the final again and give us the sign-off!

Today was a VERY good day, even though we failed the inspection. But more about that on my next blog entry, Sunday or Monday.
    Inor, I could write ten paragraphs on arc fault breakers, but I will shorten it down to this-

Keep the “regular” breakers that your electrician removes. You are going to want them. After you pass final inspection, change them back, and throw out the arc fault breakers. They are such useless, annoying, and unreliable pieces of junk that the National Electric Code eliminated their required use after only three years of having the requirement in the Code. I can only assume that you have a local building code that maintains their requirement in new construction.

The only reason this new, untested, and crappy technology made it into the National Electric Code to begin with was the fact that the inventor/ patent holder was on a Code-making committee. Even then, it was eliminated a short three years later.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-08-2018),juskom95 (02-14-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    Inor, I could write ten paragraphs on arc fault breakers, but I will shorten it down to this-

Keep the “regular” breakers that your electrician removes. You are going to want them. After you pass final inspection, change them back, and throw out the arc fault breakers. They are such useless, annoying, and unreliable pieces of junk that the National Electric Code eliminated their required use after only three years of having the requirement in the Code. I can only assume that you have a local building code that maintains their requirement in new construction.

The only reason this new, untested, and crappy technology made it into the National Electric Code to begin with was the fact that the inventor/ patent holder was on a Code-making committee. Even then, it was eliminated a short three years later.
    Thanks for the info! I will keep them and put them back in after we pass the final!

When I asked inspector what they were, he told me they are basically a GFI for the whole circuit. So I stupidly asked, why can't we just put a GFI as the first outlet on the circuit and get the rest of the power for the room from that?

He just looked at me.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts
    So we had our inspection today and failed as I expected. But what surprised me was what we failed on. He failed us because we did not have sediment traps on the propane lines, which after he explained to me what sediment traps were, makes perfect sense. The plumber is coming in the morning to install them.

The second problem was we do not have arc fault breakers on the electrical circuits for the bedrooms. That was one that I wondered about, but it was not a requirement when we pulled the permits, but has since become a requirement. I called the builder, since the breaker panel was done during his part of the build. He mentioned that he told the electricians to install arc fault breakers and they even had a box of them at the house during their work, but must not have installed them. He figures they did not install them, trying to "get one past" the inspector and used them on another job. They are going to install them next Monday or Tuesday. Too bad boys, I am not going to pay you extra for them as they are about $120 each as opposed to about $8 each for normal breakers.

But what really shocked me was what he said about the work Mrs Inor and I have done. He said that we FAR exceeded code on our part and that our craftsmanship was as good or better than the pros!

So, hopefully next Wednesday or Thursday, our man Zach, the inspector, will be coming back to do the final again and give us the sign-off!

Today was a VERY good day, even though we failed the inspection. But more about that on my next blog entry, Sunday or Monday.
    Yay!!! Great to hear, Inor. You two have worked sooooo hard on this.
    So very awesome!!
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-08-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    We passed our final inspection today!

The house is far from done. But it is good enough that the county will let us move in!!! WOO HOO!!!
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (02-14-2018),BlackDog (02-17-2018),hawgrider (02-14-2018),juskom95 (02-14-2018),MountainGirl (02-14-2018),TJC44 (02-15-2018)

The house is far from done. But it is good enough that the county will let us move in!!! WOO HOO!!!
    Congrats! The pressure is off!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-14-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts

Great news!

"Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-14-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Congrats! Now get back to work and finish the darn thing!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to A Watchman For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-14-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,781 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Deep breath....
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-17-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,330 Times in 5,120 Posts

That is great!!! Now yer legal.
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-17-2018)

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Great news friends!
    Congrats and good job.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coppertop For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-17-2018),Slippy (02-17-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast