Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Prepper stuff I've learned this year

  1. #11
    Moderator Sparkyprep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Backwoods of South Florida
    Posts
    2,943

    Ranks Showcase

    Thanks
    3,856
    Thanked 4,322 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    So we had our inspection today and failed as I expected. But what surprised me was what we failed on. He failed us because we did not have sediment traps on the propane lines, which after he explained to me what sediment traps were, makes perfect sense. The plumber is coming in the morning to install them.

    The second problem was we do not have arc fault breakers on the electrical circuits for the bedrooms. That was one that I wondered about, but it was not a requirement when we pulled the permits, but has since become a requirement. I called the builder, since the breaker panel was done during his part of the build. He mentioned that he told the electricians to install arc fault breakers and they even had a box of them at the house during their work, but must not have installed them. He figures they did not install them, trying to "get one past" the inspector and used them on another job. They are going to install them next Monday or Tuesday. Too bad boys, I am not going to pay you extra for them as they are about $120 each as opposed to about $8 each for normal breakers.

    But what really shocked me was what he said about the work Mrs Inor and I have done. He said that we FAR exceeded code on our part and that our craftsmanship was as good or better than the pros!

    So, hopefully next Wednesday or Thursday, our man Zach, the inspector, will be coming back to do the final again and give us the sign-off!

    Today was a VERY good day, even though we failed the inspection. But more about that on my next blog entry, Sunday or Monday.
    Inor, I could write ten paragraphs on arc fault breakers, but I will shorten it down to this-

    Keep the “regular” breakers that your electrician removes. You are going to want them. After you pass final inspection, change them back, and throw out the arc fault breakers. They are such useless, annoying, and unreliable pieces of junk that the National Electric Code eliminated their required use after only three years of having the requirement in the Code. I can only assume that you have a local building code that maintains their requirement in new construction.

    The only reason this new, untested, and crappy technology made it into the National Electric Code to begin with was the fact that the inventor/ patent holder was on a Code-making committee. Even then, it was eliminated a short three years later.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks. :pirateflag: :confederate:

    Proud Deplorable

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

    Inor (02-08-2018),juskom95 (02-14-2018)

  3. #12
    Just this guy Inor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Fire land
    Posts
    8,162

    Ranks Showcase

    Thanks
    14,087
    Thanked 16,778 Times in 6,204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    Inor, I could write ten paragraphs on arc fault breakers, but I will shorten it down to this-

    Keep the “regular” breakers that your electrician removes. You are going to want them. After you pass final inspection, change them back, and throw out the arc fault breakers. They are such useless, annoying, and unreliable pieces of junk that the National Electric Code eliminated their required use after only three years of having the requirement in the Code. I can only assume that you have a local building code that maintains their requirement in new construction.

    The only reason this new, untested, and crappy technology made it into the National Electric Code to begin with was the fact that the inventor/ patent holder was on a Code-making committee. Even then, it was eliminated a short three years later.
    Thanks for the info! I will keep them and put them back in after we pass the final!

    When I asked inspector what they were, he told me they are basically a GFI for the whole circuit. So I stupidly asked, why can't we just put a GFI as the first outlet on the circuit and get the rest of the power for the room from that?

    He just looked at me.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

    Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

  4. #13
    VIP Member! MountainGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    northern rockies
    Posts
    669

    Ranks Showcase

    Thanks
    1,365
    Thanked 952 Times in 439 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    So we had our inspection today and failed as I expected. But what surprised me was what we failed on. He failed us because we did not have sediment traps on the propane lines, which after he explained to me what sediment traps were, makes perfect sense. The plumber is coming in the morning to install them.

    The second problem was we do not have arc fault breakers on the electrical circuits for the bedrooms. That was one that I wondered about, but it was not a requirement when we pulled the permits, but has since become a requirement. I called the builder, since the breaker panel was done during his part of the build. He mentioned that he told the electricians to install arc fault breakers and they even had a box of them at the house during their work, but must not have installed them. He figures they did not install them, trying to "get one past" the inspector and used them on another job. They are going to install them next Monday or Tuesday. Too bad boys, I am not going to pay you extra for them as they are about $120 each as opposed to about $8 each for normal breakers.

    But what really shocked me was what he said about the work Mrs Inor and I have done. He said that we FAR exceeded code on our part and that our craftsmanship was as good or better than the pros!

    So, hopefully next Wednesday or Thursday, our man Zach, the inspector, will be coming back to do the final again and give us the sign-off!

    Today was a VERY good day, even though we failed the inspection. But more about that on my next blog entry, Sunday or Monday.
    Yay!!! Great to hear, Inor. You two have worked sooooo hard on this.
    So very awesome!!
    Not all who wander in the forests are lost... but some of us are. On purpose.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

    Inor (02-08-2018)

  6. #14
    Just this guy Inor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Fire land
    Posts
    8,162

    Ranks Showcase

    Thanks
    14,087
    Thanked 16,778 Times in 6,204 Posts
    We passed our final inspection today!

    The house is far from done. But it is good enough that the county will let us move in!!! WOO HOO!!!
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

    Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

  7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

    A Watchman (02-14-2018),hawgrider (02-14-2018),juskom95 (02-14-2018),MountainGirl (02-14-2018),TJC44 (02-15-2018)

  8. #15
    Troll under the bridge. hawgrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Posts
    18,468

    Ranks Showcase

    Thanks
    23,074
    Thanked 26,798 Times in 12,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    We passed our final inspection today!

    The house is far from done. But it is good enough that the county will let us move in!!! WOO HOO!!!
    Congrats! The pressure is off!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

    Inor (02-14-2018)

  10. #16
    No, YOU move. juskom95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    4,928

    Ranks Showcase

    Thanks
    10,471
    Thanked 8,692 Times in 3,880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    We passed our final inspection today!

    The house is far from done. But it is good enough that the county will let us move in!!! WOO HOO!!!
    Great news!

    "Every personís life is theirs by right. An individualís life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a manís throat and dictate how he must live his life."



    COFFEE!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

    Inor (02-14-2018)

  12. #17
    VIP Member! A Watchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    1,288

    Ranks Showcase

    Thanks
    2,637
    Thanked 2,592 Times in 1,038 Posts
    Congrats! Now get back to work and finish the darn thing!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to A Watchman For This Useful Post:

    Inor (02-14-2018)

  14. #18
    Moderator Sparkyprep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Backwoods of South Florida
    Posts
    2,943

    Ranks Showcase

    Thanks
    3,856
    Thanked 4,322 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Deep breath....
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks. :pirateflag: :confederate:

    Proud Deplorable

  15. #19
    VIP Member! MountainGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    northern rockies
    Posts
    669

    Ranks Showcase

    Thanks
    1,365
    Thanked 952 Times in 439 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    We passed our final inspection today!

    The house is far from done. But it is good enough that the county will let us move in!!! WOO HOO!!!
    That is great!!! Now yer legal.
    Not all who wander in the forests are lost... but some of us are. On purpose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •