Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearing up for winter...

Thanks

Gearing up for winter...

Last winter i was NOT ready... My water preps were stupid low, canned propane (The green bottles) stock was way to low, this is my backup source of heat..Or was, we just bought a house and it has a wood stove. What are you doing NOW to prep for this winter?

Me, i have been working on the following list:

Buying a couple bottles of propane a week
    Looking for firewood
    Tuned up snow blower and made sure its ready for snow
    Bought 2 extra snow shovels
    Organizing cold weather gear, boots, coats, gloves, etc...
    Working on saving for a generator to run gas furnace blower during power outages.

What are you doing to prep for next winter in the event its as bad and cold as this past winter was?
    "Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, shits on the board and
    then struts around like it won the game."

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jbrooks19 For This Useful Post:

survive-it-all (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Oh, i also forgot to add....Tuned up the truck and replaced weak fuel pump so the -15 degree weather we had last year won't stop me this year.

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    We have a new driveway. Concrete and wider than the old one so I can get the snowblower between the cars without having to shovel a car out first. It should also make it easier to sell the house next spring.

Maybe that isn't really prepping but it sure is a beautiful driveway.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsInor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (08-26-2014),Slippy (08-18-2014),SquirrelBait (08-18-2014)

Daily Abuser
    Thanks
    I will be keeping a bit more water on hand than I have in past years. I had enough to make it through the past few ice storms but got down a bit low a couple of times. While I occasionally use a 1000-3000 BTU propane heater to knock the chill off the place early in the morning, this summer I ran a connector through the wall so I can keep a 40 lbs tank outside and run a larger 10000 BTU heater if it gets worse or if need be. I have a couple of 20 lbs tanks in the shed for back up. But this summer I also caught the 1 lbs Propane bottles on sale for a buck each at Bass Pro and bought 24 of them since the getting was good and they will be awesome for camping too. Life is a little bit different for me as a RVer than it is for the typical homeowner here, I have to occasionally think outside the box!

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Like you Jbrooks- I bought a house this year with a wood furnace in it. I have been gathering wood and filling propane tanks so far. I have been insulating my shop and getting it ready (although that helps to keep it cool during the summer too). The winter survival gear bag is spread out over the garage floor for sorting and repacking.

Hunting tags are bought. That is not only for food, but staves off cabin fever for a while longer through the winter.

I still need to insulate over the garage, spray the fence with sealant, and get more wood, but I am slowly working the right direction.

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,604 Times in 2,019 Posts
    I think they make hose coupler, to refill the small green bottles. I don't know the pound for pound value, versus buying, but at a dollar a can, you probably did good.
    Our winter prep was loading my truck fir s dump run, to facilitate the garage cleanout. Gonna have s huge load of throwaways, a huge load of clothes and dishes to goodwill, and hopefully a very small pile to put back. Gotta reclaim the garage for the daughters convertible, and the wifeys stair machine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

RWalls (08-18-2014)

Thanks
    I actually really, really need to get a generator... My little propane heater will work in a pinch but i'd much rather have the actual furnace.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Moved our little hothouse over,put a new u-joint on the outer shaft of my old Ford and greased up the whole truck so far.snowthrowers were serviced last year when they were put away.I was going to put an adapter box on our furnace to run the furnace off our gennie by shutting off its switch and pulling the fuse to it so we dont backfeed the whole house(we would use another cord for lamps,etc,).I have the stuff to do it but theres still time.

Thanks
    Buying a case of propane a month to power my little Mr. Heater.
    West and North side of building, And all blocked windows sealed and insulated.
    Washed, Repaired, And stored all Winter gear at the end of last Winter.
    Stocked up supplies for bread baking. (Home made bread and soup first thing in the door after a long cold day anyone?).
    Stocked up raw cocoa for hot chocolate.
    Seven heavy blankets, An emergency blanket, An electric blanket, And three sleeping bags.
    Winter vehicle kit stocked and waiting on the shelf. (Also has sleeping bag)
    Water stocked.
    Candle powered heater for bathroom.
    Candles.

I forgot! A tent to pitch indoors if all else fails...
    Last edited by SquirrelBait; 08-18-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    The squirrels are lurking... @ http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SquirrelBait For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (08-18-2014),MI.oldguy (08-18-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelBait View Post
    Buying a case of propane a month to power my little Mr. Heater.
    West and North side of building, And all blocked windows sealed and insulated.
    Washed, Repaired, And stored all Winter gear at the end of last Winter.
    Stocked up supplies for bread baking. (Home made bread and soup first thing in the door after a long cold day anyone?).
    Stocked up raw cocoa for hot chocolate.
    Seven heavy blankets, An emergency blanket, An electric blanket, And three sleeping bags.
    Winter vehicle kit stocked and waiting on the shelf. (Also has sleeping bag)
    Water stocked.
    Candle powered heater for bathroom.
    Candles.

I forgot! A tent to pitch indoors if all else fails...
    Do those candle heaters really work? I'm assuming you mean the home made ones with terra cotta pots. I have the little buddy mr. Heater. Mine is setup to run off a bbq bottle. Lasts a lot longer that way! Cheaper too. I still keep a few of the small ones though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast