Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gloves

Thanks

Gloves

Not really survival gear related but what are some good, cheap (less than $50) gloves? Cold weather, outdoor and durable. I don't have any gloves and everything is ice here. I have been wrapping my sleeve around my hands but that doesn't give me much grip with an axe or chainsaw and impossible to do anything where I need to use my fingers (like fixing a 4 wheeler) so then I just deal with the cold until it feels like my fingers are frozen solid...but I mean who doesn't love the burning sensation when they thaw out right?

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    They dont fit your criteria of being under $50 but I have an older pair of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cloth...3Bcat104002380 and they're awesome. I use them for snow blowing and working around the yard when it's frigid. Never get cold or wet wearing them, even out in the freezing rain my hands stay dry. I've had mine for about 5 years and they're still in good shape. Sale price is $74.99 right now so if you're going to get a pair now is the time. I seem to recall them being cheaper when I bought them.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

omegabrock (11-18-2014)

Thanks
    Damn those sound awesome. I'll see if I can swing the extra money.

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Omega-

First I think that gloves are very important survival gear. If you are using an axe/chainsaw/or even just walking through the woods, Protection is very important. It is pretty easy to fall down and scrape them or to get blisters on your hands when working/surviving. If your hands are somehow injured- it decreases you effectiveness buy a huge amount.

For most work I do in here (oilfield, ranching, hunting) in cold weather, I generally wear an insulated leather work glove. They are fairly inexpensive, not overly bulky and keep your hands at a comfortable level. They won't keep your hands hot- but slightly cooler than what you think would be best(if you are just hanging out)

Remember that when you work, your body circulates blood faster and you warm up- Warm up to much, you start to sweat- the moisture in your clothes (hat and gloves included) makes you that much colder when you slow down. Hypothermia is not a joke!!!!

Thanks

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coppertop For This Useful Post:

Infidel (11-18-2014),Innkeeper (12-03-2014),oldmurph58 (11-26-2014),omegabrock (11-18-2014)

Thanks
    Oh definitely, I just meant not survival gear in the sense of I'm not really looking for an end all right now, just something to keep the hands warm this winter.

Daily Abuser
    Thanks
    I checked out the gloves that a link was posted by a previous poster from Cabelas just yesterday and I have to say for rough and rugged working gloves for being out in the cold, those look pretty dang good! If they would have been in camo...Id a got 'em! Sorry I just kind a have a Camo fetish of a sorts these days. Not sure youll have the dexterity to work on equipment like 4 wheelers but for chopping wood, working the fence line of the property and such they ought to be the cats meow.

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Imaexpat2 View Post
    I checked out the gloves that a link was posted by a previous poster from Cabelas just yesterday and I have to say for rough and rugged working gloves for being out in the cold, those look pretty dang good! If they would have been in camo...Id a got 'em! Sorry I just kind a have a Camo fetish of a sorts these days. Not sure youll have the dexterity to work on equipment like 4 wheelers but for chopping wood, working the fence line of the property and such they ought to be the cats meow.
    Yeah they're pretty bulky so fine motor skills will be hampered but they will keep you warm. Even at the full retail price if mine finally go I'm buying another pair, I can't stand having cold hands or feet.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I have a pair of shooting gloves. I hate cold hands. I just fixed the cold feet problem with boot socks. But driving for me is a problem. Thats why the shooting gloves for control. They aren't probably as good at keeping warm as a real winter glove but.
    What's the difference between a crackhead and a tweaker?
    The crackhead will steal your shit and bounce--the tweaker will steal your shit and then help you look for it.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Go search cabelas website for shooting gloves. They have a lot with thinsulate now. Mine don't have the thinsulate. Most are 20$ - 40$ with the insulation.
    What's the difference between a crackhead and a tweaker?
    The crackhead will steal your shit and bounce--the tweaker will steal your shit and then help you look for it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James m For This Useful Post:

oldmurph58 (11-26-2014),omegabrock (11-19-2014)

Thanks
    I didn't even think of shooting gloves. I could also check mechanic gloves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast