Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steel Entry Door

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    Well if you are going to spray flammible substances, I would assume that you have already made the area fireproof.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauls For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-21-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Get a mean a$$ dog.
    Get two! Two dogs working in tandem will hit 'em coming and going!
    The squirrels are lurking... @ http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SquirrelBait For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-21-2016),Slippy (01-09-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
    A 12 gauge shotgun will tear the hinges of even a steel door. Three quick shots and you are in. The door knob lock is a waste of time in most cases and the only lock that is secure is the dead bolt - but only if it is a security dead bolt. They are hardened steel with at least a one inch throw. Door hinges are the weakest point of most doors - even if you use 3 1/2 " screws into the fram the hinge is held to the door with very short screws that are only #8 or #10 screws. Since most doors open inward there is little to stop then from being breached. Three solid 2x6's into steel hangers that are bolted to studs would be very effective in keeping out most anyone, police included.

Windows are harder to harden but not impossible. A tripple glazed window with the center pane of 1/4" lexan will make it difficult to breach but it is not bullet resistant. Bars and screens on the outside are easy to circumvent but if they are on the inside of a lexan window then they can be more effective. Shutters on the inside are another good level of defense.

The best way to keep your house safe is to have a secret way out. You can exit the home and deal with the attackers at your leisure.
    Wow, one of the few times I disagree with you paul, but unless you really look at one of these steel doors, trust me it isn't a 3 shot and you are in.

Now it could be said that it is a 6-7-8-9 shot and you are in, but my point is most people don't come equipped to breach with shotguns, and this will stand up to the kick test all day long.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Montana Rancher For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-21-2016),juskom95 (09-30-2016)

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    I don't mind when folks disagree. Most often I learn a new view at least and sometimes I find that miscommunication enters into the picture.

I put steel, insulated, fire doors on my shop, garage and two entry doors, In the shop and garage there are three 2x6's making up the door jam but I didn't build the house so there are likely two 2x4s around the jam. One good kick and you're in. And that is with the long throw deadbolt locked. If a person can't break a 2x4 with a 1" hole bored in the center of it they're not trying.

I put in the bit about the weak point being the hinges because on the shop and garage the weakest link is the hinge screws into the door itself. A 3/4" sheet metal screw is a weak link no matter what kind of a door you have. One the best side of this is that there are 4 screws on each side of each hinge. Going into the door frame I have 3 1/2" # 12 screws. That is as close to you get as "shotgun proof".

I am pretty sure that with three blasts from 1 1/4 oz. Load at 1400 fps will break the screws going into the doors or shatter enough wood in the frame to tear it loose in my garage or shop. I wouldn't guarantee it because I don't know wood well enough to figure it out but I do know metal and its limitations.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pauls For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-21-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Hey Paul, sorry for the late reply but I'm done putting up hay now and have more time to devote to internet.

The door I posted doesn't have a wood frame, both the door and the frame it mounts in is steel, so really even your 1400 fps shotgun load is not a good choice. Unless you have a lot of time and a lot of ammo, but that gives me options on how to respond to the attack, which is my origional point.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana Rancher For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-21-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,303 Times in 6,021 Posts
    If I had it to do all over again or in my next house ( if ever ) -- no rear sliding glass doors -- instead a 36" basement fire rated door W/ wire lite --

http://www.homedepot.com/p/L-I-F-Ind...680L/202510530

And if I painted it in a nice wood grain finish for the Wifey -- front door too --

In fact I told her if the rear ever gets broken -- there's my excuse --

P of S -- I like piano hinges --
    Last edited by Ricekila; 08-21-2016 at 07:12 AM.

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / NYSRPA member / GOA member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / Wayne County PA - visitors CCW holder / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

The word liberal is a misnomer ( look it up )

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Μολών Λaβέ

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:

Gambit (08-21-2016),juskom95 (09-30-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    Hey Paul, sorry for the late reply but I'm done putting up hay now and have more time to devote to internet.

The door I posted doesn't have a wood frame, both the door and the frame it mounts in is steel, so really even your 1400 fps shotgun load is not a good choice. Unless you have a lot of time and a lot of ammo, but that gives me options on how to respond to the attack, which is my origional point.
    The goal of security is not to make an impenetrable target, but a target which is harder than your neighbor or the 'next guy'

Door breaching, even of a wooden door, is not that surgical. Even with known hinges, a blast does not 'magically' open the door and make an easy entry. One thing to consider, even if they have breached your door with a 12ga round, that is three rounds and someone clumsily trying to move through the wreckage to alert.

Security in layers.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123