Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pasta

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    And, post the recipe, Damn it, I'm lazy.
    Just kidding, thanks Inor
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    I did learn how to make awesome soppapillas. Easy, and great.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Nope. Powdered eggs also work.

This one was a HUGE eye opener for me. It means I can pack a LOT more calories and carbs in a lot smaller space and the shelf life is as long as the powdered eggs and flour or wheat (if you grind your own). Store bought pasta has a shelf life of about 5 years, give or take. PLUS, it satisfies the other big desirable that I have for all of my preps: It should improve my life even if SHTF does not happen. This stuff tastes better than anything you can buy from a store AND our estimate was it cost us about 43 cents to make more than enough pasta for four servings.

I am calling this experiment a success beyond all of our expectations. It was cheaper than store bought. It stores longer than store bought. It tastes better than store bought. It cooks faster than store bought. The only negative is that it took us about 2 hours to make it, plus about 3+ hours to dry it. The drying time is what it is. But I expect the time to make it will at least be cut in half once we get some more experience.

Yeah, it sounds stupid and gay and is not nearly as cool as test firing a P-90. But this is a prepper skill that has so many benefits that you should at least consider learning it.
    #1 It does not sound gay or stupid.....

#2 I agree with the fact that our "preps" can make our life better no matter what. And making your own Pasta is a huge upgrade in my opinion. I am very glad it worked successfully for you. It does get quicker as you get used to what you are making.

Happy this worked for you. I really like making foodstuff more than store bought.

Thanks

Occasionally Replies Back Smokin04's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Pictures of this process would be awesome and a solid contribution to the DIYers.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all"- Gen. James Mattis (Forcefully retired by Obama)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,104 Times in 10,465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin04 View Post
    Pictures of this process would be awesome and a solid contribution to the DIYers.
    2 cups of flour
    1 tsp salt
    4 tbsp water
    2 tbsp vegetable/olive oil
    2 eggs

Mix all of the stuff together.

Once it is mixed, knead the dough for a full 5 minutes. (If the dough seems dry and flaky, it has not been kneaded enough. It should be almost rubbery once properly kneaded.)

Cover the dough with a wet towel and let it sit for 15-30 minutes.

Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.

(Without a pasta machine)
    Roll each piece into a long flat piece 1/8 inch thick.

Using a knife, cut each piece into noodles of the desired width.

(With a pasta machine)
    Start with pasta roller at the widest setting and run each piece of the dough through 5-6 times.

Set the roller to each progressively thinner setting and run the dough through 5-6 times on each setting
    (Our pasta machine has settings from 1 to 7 with 7 being the widest. We rolled it down to the setting at number 3 which seems about right.)

Once the dough has been rolled to the desired thickness, let it sit for about 10 minutes before running through the cutter.

Run the flat sheet of pasta through the cutter head to cut it into noodles.

(Once the noodles are cut)
    Hang the noodles to dry on a pasta rack or on a broomstick propped up on a two chair backs for about 3 hours.

Once dry, the pasta can be cooked like you would with store bought although it only took about 4 minutes to cook in boiling water.
    (The dried pasta does break much easier than store bought. Do not worry about it. That is how it is supposed to be.)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,192 Times in 4,798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does fresh pasta cook "al dente". I've always heard that fresh pasta can be a little mushy. Am I wrong? I like my cooked pasta firm.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    Does fresh pasta cook "al dente". I've always heard that fresh pasta can be a little mushy. Am I wrong? I like my cooked pasta firm.
    It does have a slightly different texture than Creamette. I would not call it "mushy". But it is different. I expect if you cooked it before it was completely dry, it might be mushy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Sparkyprep (01-02-2015)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    It cooks up al dente. We made fettuccini and I think rolled it a little too thin. It took three and a half minutes to cook al dente.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsInor For This Useful Post:

Sparkyprep (01-03-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsInor View Post
    It cooks up al dente. We made fettuccini and I think rolled it a little too thin. It took three and a half minutes to cook al dente.
    It is freakin' good! I am calling the pasta experiment a success beyond my expectations. Unlike my beer, which may end up being okay to drink in a month or two but my vision of Inor's Post-Apocalyptic Beer Garden probably ain't happening due to the complexity of the process of making it.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James m View Post
    I was about to suggest making it yourself, then I read the second paragraph.

That stuff has to be a pain to cook. Boiling water after no power. Rice too, 30 minutes for rice in a rice pot.
    That's if you actually decide to make electric to cook, just heat it with wood or something.
    Just soak it in the morning with warm water.
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast