Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Hawg Hens

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
    Well Hell... Why didnt ya just say you were pickleing them...
    Vinegar in the boiling water will help soften the shell.
    Have you ever left an egg (not boiled) in a far of vinegar (3% acetic acid)??
    The vinegar eats the calcium carbonate off the shell and you are left with an "egg bag" or a perfect example of a cell.
    Ive tried the vinegar in the boiling water method and the salt method. The shell comes off but its the membrane that is still to the shell and takes the white with it.
    Ive also tried varying boiling times. tried boil then ice then short dip in simmered water.

I have not tried the steam or your shake in jar of water method I'll give that a shot.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Walter Tyler (03-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Yeah, i use to have 36 chickens when I lived in Nevada. We had a hell of a time trying to peel the eggs. Not sure why farm fresh is different, but that's pretty much the only method that worked for us. You can always try steaming them, though. I haven't tried it but my mother-in-law suggested steaming them. I hate my mother-in-law so anything she says or suggests is crap to me. . It probably does work, though. lol. . .
    There we go... you know first hand exactly what Im talkin bout.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Radio (03-21-2017)

I hate my mother-in-law so anything she says or suggests is crap to me. . It probably does work, though. lol. . .
    That tickles the shit outta me!
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-21-2017),Radio (03-21-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    I use the egg genie that is basically a steamer it will make some of the best moist yolks ever in a hard boild egg but unfortunately it does not make them peal any easier.

So you may continue thinking what she says is crap.

here is the egg genie

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

hag (03-21-2017),hawgrider (03-21-2017),juskom95 (03-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    I use the egg genie that is basically a steamer it will make some of the best moist yolks ever in a hard boild egg but unfortunately it does not make them peal any easier.

So you may continue thinking what she says is crap.

here is the egg genie
    So steam is going to suck too. Guess that leavess the jar full of water method then. Crap!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    OK, let me put my chicken plucker hat back on.... eggs peel easier if they are old eggs, notice how store bought eggs typically hard boil and peel easier... yep store bought "fresh" eggs are at least 1 month old, farmer has 30 days to "carton" the eggs, they are stored in flats until then, and another 30 days to sell them. So if you go to the farmers market to buy Organic, Free Range eggs, they will be fresh, don't hard boil them, they also may have a blood spot, just scoop them out with the edges of the egg shell, that's a hazard of letting your chickens run free.

Rancher

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azrancher For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-21-2017),juskom95 (03-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
    OK, let me put my chicken plucker hat back on.... eggs peel easier if they are old eggs, notice how store bought eggs typically hard boil and peel easier... yep store bought "fresh" eggs are at least 1 month old, farmer has 30 days to "carton" the eggs, they are stored in flats until then, and another 30 days to sell them. So if you go to the farmers market to buy Organic, Free Range eggs, they will be fresh, don't hard boil them, they also may have a blood spot, just scoop them out with the edges of the egg shell, that's a hazard of letting your chickens run free.

Rancher
    Yup thats the truth. I've aged mine 3 weeks + and they peel no better. Blood spots cook up fine they don't bother me. Rarley do we get any but yes we get a few. We don't candle them to see. Ya git what ya git. I was given a tip today that looks like its a hit for peeling . I answer in the next post.

Similar to what I do with peeling garlic (I put the cloves in a sealed container and shake the crap out of it), you can do that with eggs in a glass of water. Crack the top and bottom of the egg, stick it in a glass of water, cover the top of the glass and shake. . For me, it works every time. Shell just comes right off. You really don't even need to crack it first.
    Ok we have a winner at this point. I did 6 of my right out of the coop eggs from today along with 18 small eggs from the raw milk lady. The milk ladys small eggs peel pretty easy and they are old at least 3 weeks.

So I used the pint jar about 1/3+ full of water. Cracked the egg on both ends as recommended shook the daylights out of it a few times and I'll be darned they peeled pretty darn good no craters in the whites. I'll give this method a thumbs up for my right from the coop fresh eggs. Thanks for the tip either I got real lucky or this method works! Further testing in the near future.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

hag (03-21-2017),juskom95 (03-22-2017),Radio (03-21-2017),Walter Tyler (03-21-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Ok we have a winner at this point. I did 6 of my right out of the coop eggs from today along with 18 small eggs from the raw milk lady. The milk ladys small eggs peel pretty easy and they are old at least 3 weeks.

So I used the pint jar about 1/3+ full of water. Cracked the egg on both ends as recommended shook the daylights out of it a few times and I'll be darned they peeled pretty darn good no craters in the whites. I'll give this method a thumbs up for my right from the coop fresh eggs. Thanks for the tip either I got real lucky or this method works! Further testing in the near future.
    Do I sense a How To Video in your future

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
    Do I sense a How To Video in your future
    Hmm.... proof is in the puddin good Idea! Credit will have to go to Radio if I do a video.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 03-21-2017 at 06:06 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (03-21-2017)

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213