Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawg Hens

Quote Originally Posted by omegabrock View Post
    Attachment 1218got my bigger coop with the roost built
    I like the multi tier roosts. So do the chickens. It definitely will show the pecking order.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post

And Isa's are not a heritage breed they are a hybrid. Your buff's are a heritage breed I believe right?

edited: http://www.orpingtonchickens.co.uk/p...gallery/page/3
    The eggs from a buff are amazing. Large. A lot of double and even triple yolks.

Also buffs are great cold weather birds. And great mothers. Had a self sustaining flock. I loved that aspect

And yes they are a heritage breed

Now to convince Innkeeper that I NEED chickens
    "Liberty is too precious a thing to be buried in books, Miss Saunders. Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say, 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will' "

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justlooking For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-04-2015),MrsInor (03-04-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking View Post
    The eggs from a buff are amazing. Large. A lot of double and even triple yolks.

Also buffs are great cold weather birds. And great mothers. Had a self sustaining flock. I loved that aspect

And yes they are a heritage breed

Now to convince Innkeeper that I NEED chickens
    Yeah my kid gets a lot of doubles too. They are a big bird and quite vocal.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Thanks
    Very sweet temperament.

My girls would play with them
    "Liberty is too precious a thing to be buried in books, Miss Saunders. Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say, 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will' "

Thanks
    It definitely helps show the pecking order. It was relatively cheap and extremely easy too. Plus, with the frame, it's easy to move and clean under.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omegabrock For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-04-2015),Innkeeper (03-05-2015)

It definitely helps show the pecking order. It was relatively cheap and extremely easy too. Plus, with the frame, it's easy to move and clean under.
    Coop and roost nice job! The birds will be happy! The days are getting longer spring ahead this weekend.
    The daylight is running about 11 hours and 23 minutes here. Egg production will be picking up soon.

Thanks
    I've been using a light to supplement that some. Out of 7 hens, I average 3-4 eggs a day. Looking to have about 15 hens total, able to lay with a couple rotating into peak laying. Hopefully I can start selling soon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to omegabrock For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-04-2015)

I've been using a light to supplement that some. Out of 7 hens, I average 3-4 eggs a day. Looking to have about 15 hens total, able to lay with a couple rotating into peak laying. Hopefully I can start selling soon.
    Me too I've been running 14 hours day light but my new hens were not getting additional light so it will take a couple weeks. That's what I have in mind too is peddle some free range eggs to cover the feed. The Yuppies are paying 4 bucks a dozen. I need 2.50 to break even on feed. Ill sell them to the yuppies for 3.00 ish and under cut the competition.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

omegabrock (03-04-2015)

Thanks
    That's the bad thing about being out here, there's a pretty standard going rate of $2 a dozen. (Store bought are about $2.50/dozen) so I'm hoping to break even on feed lol. But that's not including if I start selling the hens past prime. People buy them for about $30 a head for pets.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to omegabrock For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-04-2015)

That's the bad thing about being out here, there's a pretty standard going rate of $2 a dozen. (Store bought are about $2.50/dozen) so I'm hoping to break even on feed lol. But that's not including if I start selling the hens past prime. People buy them for about $30 a head for pets.
    The price of POL (point of lay) hens went up here this year 20 to 30 bucks. I got mine for 12.00 Yeah drive 50 miles out in the sticks from here and 2.00 per dozen.... stupid yuppies lol

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast