Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New feature Blows Chunks

VIP Member!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    So, RW said only the person starting the thread, and the Mods will be able to see who's banned in a thread, right?

I can see who you banned at the top of the thread...
    That's the only good part of the feature. There's no hiding who you banned from other members. You can look at a thread and say (insert member's name) might have some input on this, wonder why he's banned from the thread.

I reiterate my earlier point, this feature will silence those with valuable information to add to threads based solely on who they are. We all have seen a few flame wars in our time and know how people can become bitter about it. No one around here holds a grudge right?

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-06-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,880 Times in 1,322 Posts
    I don't understand the problem. It works just like the "ignore" button, just to another level. I'm all about free speech, but I don't like the constant bickering that's been going on. So what if Sockpuppet bans you from all his threads? Do you really need to chime in on the latest episode of Jerry Springer?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-06-2015)

Site Addict

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I sent Inor a Nastygram since he said it wasn't working, tying to see if he bans me lol

I, Jeep, am such a weenie I sleep in a bun!
    Last edited by Inor; 01-06-2015 at 04:20 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeep For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-06-2015),Inor (01-06-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,674 Times in 5,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I sent Inor a Nastygram since he said it wasn't working, tying to see if he bans me lol
    Hell, I don't even know HOW to ban someone! I suppose I could figure it out, but why waste the time when it is more fun to just graffiti up your posts.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-06-2015),Sparkyprep (01-06-2015)

Site Addict

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Awesome lol

Something goes here but I can't remember what. hawgrider's Avatar
    Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 19,501 Times in 8,950 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    I don't understand the problem. It works just like the "ignore" button, just to another level. I'm all about free speech, but I don't like the constant bickering that's been going on. So what if Sockpuppet bans you from all his threads? Do you really need to chime in on the latest episode of Jerry Springer?
    No I don't. But look at it this way ..... technically one could be ostracized from all threads posted if enough people ganged up on a particular member.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,880 Times in 1,322 Posts
    I guess, but I don't think that most here are the type to gang up on anyone.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,569 Posts
    Here is how I think it could help....a topic comes up....after a few short posts it begins to devolve into a pissing match...rather than scrap the whole thread...one can ban the individual who is taking where it need not go. This can prevent a thread from going straight to the "of no value due to all the extra verbiage" category. I agree there is no need to start a thread with a banned member listed from the beginning. But it is a good tool for mods (and I do say mods) to use to keep a thread on or near topic. even though on occassion I may be the offending member, I still think it can be a good moderator/admin tool. This can keep a member who is heated up about one thread from carrying it over to another, and risk a ban from the entire site. WHich I am not in favor of except for the most extreme cases (i.e. Lancestar and Resister).

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Inor (01-06-2015),Jeep (01-06-2015)

VIP Member!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    No, if you are ignored by a member you can still post in their threads only they won't see it unless you're quoted. If you're banned from a thread by the OP you can't post at all and therefor must remain silent even though you may have valuable input. Personally I think the ignore feature is more than enough power for the general user, this new feature would be great for mods though as OSFG mentioned. I vote we make it a Mod only feature.

I have witnessed a couple of threads devolve into pissing matches between members. It happens, it's a fact of life, they will either get over it or they won't. But allowing one member to ban another from his threads will lead to incomplete threads. I'm not singling anyone out (trying not to anyway) but if OSFG for example was banned from posting in all of a member's threads think of all the information he possesses that might not get shared because of it.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-06-2015),OSFG (01-07-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,291 Times in 1,509 Posts
    It would hurt my feelings if someone banned me from a thread.

AND apparently I missed a good pissing match!!

Who won?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast