Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Did God Come From?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,700 Times in 1,337 Posts

Where Did God Come From?

https://media.gab.com/system/media_a...9dbba4b5d2.mp4

"Where did God come from?" A question that has confounded people for a long, long time. This guy makes a very good case about this question. Well worth the few minutes of viewing.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Denton For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (05-20-2021),BucketBack (05-20-2021),inceptor (05-20-2021),Ricekila (05-19-2021),shootbrownelk (05-20-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    https://media.gab.com/system/media_a...9dbba4b5d2.mp4

"Where did God come from?" A question that has confounded people for a long, long time. This guy makes a very good case about this question. Well worth the few minutes of viewing.
    That's way above my pay grade. I've got enough on my plate without adding philosophical mysteries to it.

He's there, He watches over me and mine, we talk daily. He's provided me more than enough evidence to start the relationship a long time ago. I'm good with my beliefs.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to inceptor For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (05-24-2021),Denton (05-20-2021),Innkeeper (05-20-2021),Inor (05-20-2021),shootbrownelk (05-20-2021),Slippy (05-20-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    That's way above my pay grade. I've got enough on my plate without adding philosophical mysteries to it.

He's there, He watches over me and mine, we talk daily. He's provided me more than enough evidence to start the relationship a long time ago. I'm good with my beliefs.
    Same here, but did you watch the video and see how he explained it?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Denton For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (05-20-2021),inceptor (05-20-2021),shootbrownelk (05-20-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 48,657 Times in 13,807 Posts
    Kent Hovind. The King of preaching to the credulous. There ARE substantial scholars who make robust arguments for the existence of a God (Frank Turec, for example, or Dinesh D'souza), and these robust debates are intriguing in a modern Thomas Aquinas manner, and take into account what we have learned since. He isn't one of them. His asserted, unsubstantiated assumptions followed by false premises and empty claims is nearly breathtaking in its scope. His pseudo-science is so very bad, he has been openly criticized by other evangelical groups for utilizing long discredited arguments all others have conceded and abandoned. "Please don't help" seems to be their plea to him. His theme park "Dinosaur Adventure Land" was built to demonstrate to children visiting just how dinosaurs and humans co-existed 4000-6000 years ago. His nuttiness extends to many arenas...
    WIKI:
    Hovind claims that the cyanide-releasing compound laetrile is a "cancer cure" which the U.S. government is conspiring to suppress and that diseases including HIV, Gulf war syndrome, Crohn's colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, and Alzheimer's were engineered by "the money masters and governments of the world" for the purpose of global economic domination. He has denounced democracy as "evil and contrary to God's law". A bit excitable and frenetic, in 2002 Hovind was arrested for assault, battery, and burglary in an incident with a CSE secretary. He does seem to like the money he makes:
    WIKI: According to the IRS, Hovind earned $50,000 a year through speaking engagements, and in 2002 alone, CSE sold more than $1.8 million in merchandise. On average, Hovind made bank deposits in excess of $1 million each year, and eventually that grew to about $2 million a year. About half that income went to employees who were salaried or were paid hourly wages. However, Hovind derived "substantial revenue" from these activities that appeared to be "income to [him] personally".

The Hovind Bankruptcy Decision
    On March 1, 1996, Hovind filed a Chapter 13 bankruptcy petition to avoid paying federal income taxes, claiming he was not a citizen of the United States and that he did not earn income. He claimed that as a minister, everything he owned belonged to God and he was not subject to paying taxes for doing God's work. On June 5, 1996, the Court dismissed Hovind's bankruptcy case, finding he had lied about his possessions and income. The court upheld the IRS's determination that his claim "was filed in bad faith for the sole purpose of avoiding payment of federal income taxes" and called Hovind's arguments "patently absurd". It also said that "the IRS has no record of the debtor ever having filed a federal income tax return."
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFa4g5nQPss

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (05-24-2021),Denton (05-20-2021),shootbrownelk (05-20-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    Kent Hovind. The King of preaching to the credulous. There ARE substantial scholars who make robust arguments for the existence of a God (Frank Turec, for example, or Dinesh D'souza), and these robust debates are intriguing in a modern Thomas Aquinas manner, and take into account what we have learned since. He isn't one of them. His asserted, unsubstantiated assumptions followed by false premises and empty claims is nearly breathtaking in its scope. His pseudo-science is so very bad, he has been openly criticized by other evangelical groups for utilizing long discredited arguments all others have conceded and abandoned. "Please don't help" seems to be their plea to him. His theme park "Dinosaur Adventure Land" was built to demonstrate to children visiting just how dinosaurs and humans co-existed 4000-6000 years ago. His nuttiness extends to many arenas...
    WIKI:
    Hovind claims that the cyanide-releasing compound laetrile is a "cancer cure" which the U.S. government is conspiring to suppress and that diseases including HIV, Gulf war syndrome, Crohn's colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, and Alzheimer's were engineered by "the money masters and governments of the world" for the purpose of global economic domination. He has denounced democracy as "evil and contrary to God's law". A bit excitable and frenetic, in 2002 Hovind was arrested for assault, battery, and burglary in an incident with a CSE secretary. He does seem to like the money he makes:
    WIKI: According to the IRS, Hovind earned $50,000 a year through speaking engagements, and in 2002 alone, CSE sold more than $1.8 million in merchandise. On average, Hovind made bank deposits in excess of $1 million each year, and eventually that grew to about $2 million a year. About half that income went to employees who were salaried or were paid hourly wages. However, Hovind derived "substantial revenue" from these activities that appeared to be "income to [him] personally".

The Hovind Bankruptcy Decision
    On March 1, 1996, Hovind filed a Chapter 13 bankruptcy petition to avoid paying federal income taxes, claiming he was not a citizen of the United States and that he did not earn income. He claimed that as a minister, everything he owned belonged to God and he was not subject to paying taxes for doing God's work. On June 5, 1996, the Court dismissed Hovind's bankruptcy case, finding he had lied about his possessions and income. The court upheld the IRS's determination that his claim "was filed in bad faith for the sole purpose of avoiding payment of federal income taxes" and called Hovind's arguments "patently absurd". It also said that "the IRS has no record of the debtor ever having filed a federal income tax return."
    Tourist, I have no idea what you are saying. I don't think it has anything to do with what was offered in the video, though. Did you watch it? Could you respond to what was offered in the video?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denton For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (05-20-2021),StratBastard (05-20-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Tourist, I have no idea what you are saying. I don't think it has anything to do with what was offered in the video, though. Did you watch it? Could you respond to what was offered in the video?
    Tourist? No idea what that means, but it smells a bit passive-aggressive. No need for any of that, and I won't be taking any offence: this isn't about YOU, it's about Hovind.

Yes, I watched it several times many years ago. He was vigorously pilloried in both the scientific and religious realms. Both. And it has everything to do with what was offered in the video. Everything. Unsubstantiated suppositions and claims. False premises. Empty assertions without substantiation. Abysmal "science".

Hovind LOVES to utilize sciencey terms like "time, space, and matter". With visual aids. Like Kant, he makes assertions that are both completely unprovable AND un-falsifiable (though not as artfully)... and every claim offered thereafter depends on not questioning the original premise. Makes him sound credible to the ones he seeks to huckster and fleece. He's a con artist, and does not represent science OR those of faith.

Though he has become tedious, I am happy to yet once again go through this video, point by point, with any who feel he is making anything remotely resembling a rational argument. He isn't. But rather than having to write a novella about everything wrong with these absurd claims, pick the one point which you feel centers on and proves his claims. His very BEST point. We'll discuss that specific dreck.
    Last edited by StratBastard; 05-20-2021 at 05:04 AM.
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

Denton (05-20-2021),shootbrownelk (05-20-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,138 Posts
    Now deferring to the judgement of horses ~ because Truth comes in 30 round bursts.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MountainGirl For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (05-20-2021),Denton (05-20-2021),inceptor (05-20-2021),Michael_Js (05-20-2021),SGG (05-21-2021),shootbrownelk (05-20-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,347 Times in 4,345 Posts
    I really don't want to wade out too awful deep in this big muddy . . .

I'll just stand in the shallows and say simply that God gave us some specific warnings about the end times.

This is one: 1 Thessalonians 5:1-2 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

This tells us of the time frame in which Paul references this . . .

And the "big ending" . . . the particular phrase relegated to last (the one most likely to be remembered if any at all) . . . of the things we should personally try to make a part of our way of living . . . said this: 1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Is/was the man evil . . . a liar . . . a manipulator . . . a con man? He certainly had the trappings of such . . .

He missed that last commandment . . . big time . . . which sadly brings an ugly scent and aura to those who are trying desperately to share the truth of Jesus Christ to a lost and dying world.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

bigwheel (05-21-2021),BucketBack (05-24-2021),inceptor (05-20-2021),Innkeeper (05-20-2021),shootbrownelk (05-20-2021),StratBastard (05-20-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    I really don't want to wade out too awful deep in this big muddy . . .

I'll just stand in the shallows and say simply that God gave us some specific warnings about the end times.

This is one: 1 Thessalonians 5:1-2 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

This tells us of the time frame in which Paul references this . . .

And the "big ending" . . . the particular phrase relegated to last (the one most likely to be remembered if any at all) . . . of the things we should personally try to make a part of our way of living . . . said this: 1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Is/was the man evil . . . a liar . . . a manipulator . . . a con man? He certainly had the trappings of such . . .

He missed that last commandment . . . big time . . . which sadly brings an ugly scent and aura to those who are trying desperately to share the truth of Jesus Christ to a lost and dying world.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    While we may disagree on the nature of our existence, I think you hit that one squarely on the head. I hope you are well friend, and wish you only the best.
    A.K.A. StratBastard
    "It can't be fixed."
    NRA Member

18. The Following User Says Thank You to StratBastard For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (05-20-2021)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,402 Times in 5,945 Posts
    I think everyone has their own idea of what & who GOD is. I believe in God, I prayed to him and he saved my wife's life after she died on the operating table 2 weeks ago. The surgeons were great, but I feel they had help.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (05-20-2021),BucketBack (05-24-2021),Dwight55 (05-20-2021),inceptor (05-20-2021),Innkeeper (05-20-2021)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast