Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Did God Come From?

I'm a little teapot short and stout! My pronouns are "they/them" Kusa's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    I think everyone has their own idea of what & who GOD is.
    I wonder why that is.
    I'm a big baby I get butthurt easily.
    I'm over 50 years old but act like a 13 year old.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kusa For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (05-21-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,319 Times in 4,341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester-ND View Post
    every time I try to wax religous-like... it doesn't end well... as For God, I believe it is possible we are all right and all wrong at the same time. All we know is what we can comprehend... and it's the stuff that lies outside that circle of comprehension that is the actual truth..
    Hey . . . Jester . . . if you don't mind . . . I'd like to disagree with you . . . on 3 points.

First two are kinda easy to deal with . . . it is impossible to be ALL right or ALL wrong . . . much less at the same time. We all are somewhere in the middle of each . . . kinda maybe like a 60 / 40 mixture . . . 60 percent right . . . 40 percent wrong . . . or some such percentage . . . and that goes for all of us . . . saints and sinners.

The last one takes a bit more to deal with it's the stuff that lies outside that circle of comprehension that is the actual truth..

The ACTUAL TRUTH is actually very easy to comprehend . . . as it is truth . . . truth . . . truth . . . nothing but the truth . . . and you probably have access to one right there at home. It is called the Bible.

NEVER . . . let me say that again . . . NEVER . . . has one sentence or one concept put forward by it ever been proven to be totally wrong. There are things within the Bible . . . folks disagree with . . . including creation . . . but that is all that can be done . . . is disagree.

What the Bible does do . . . it outlines and defines sin . . . sinful ways . . . sinful lives . . . sinful acts . . . and also defines the absolute reward for sin and it's ways.

As well . . . it defines the work around for sin . . . called righteousness . . . and we most certainly can know and comprehend what is sinful . . . what is righteous.

The righteous we need to do . . . the rest we need to avoid.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (05-22-2021),BucketBack (05-24-2021),inceptor (05-22-2021),Innkeeper (05-21-2021),Jester-ND (05-22-2021),shootbrownelk (05-22-2021)

I'm a little teapot short and stout! My pronouns are "they/them" Kusa's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    NEVER . . . let me say that again . . . NEVER . . . has one sentence or one concept put forward by it ever been proven to be totally wrong. There are things within the Bible . . . folks disagree with . . . including creation . . . but that is all that can be done . . . is disagree.
    That can be said about a lot of things.

Can everything in the Bible be proven to be totally right?
    I'm a big baby I get butthurt easily.
    I'm over 50 years old but act like a 13 year old.

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    I think everyone has their own idea of what & who GOD is. I believe in God, I prayed to him and he saved my wife's life after she died on the operating table 2 weeks ago. The surgeons were great, but I feel they had help.
    Praise the Lord for your wife's healing. The only ones I know who have their own idea about what or who God is are those who have not been adopted into His Family by the shed blood of Jesus Christ. Agnostics come immediately to mind. As we know those are folks who don't know what they believe and are too lazy to find out. lol

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusa View Post

Can anything in the Bible be proven totally wrong?

I got what @jester-nd said, at least what I'm pretty sure he meant.

I also agree with @Dwight55. The basics of fundamental living are in the Bible. Do I always get it right? No. I still screw up but He stays here with me. I see His works quite a lot actually and I'm glad I recognize it.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is a good start.

These are the two most important commandments taught by Jesus.

Mathew 22:35-40
    One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inceptor For This Useful Post:

Innkeeper (05-22-2021),shootbrownelk (05-22-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusa View Post

From what I have "observed" in my poor 76 year existence . . . MY answer would be "yes".

I say that because everything . . . absolutely EVERYTHING touched by the hand of man will either be "right" or "wrong". Middle ground is not found in God's word . . . only the two extremes.

And of course that also stands for His creations . . . "true" science . . . mathematics . . . thermodynamics . . . etc.

That being said . . . if something cannot be proved wrong . . . it stands as "right" until such a time as it can be proved wrong.

May God bless,
    Dwight

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

inceptor (05-24-2021),Innkeeper (05-22-2021),Jester-ND (05-22-2021),shootbrownelk (05-22-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,687 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    Ah. Or maybe I was a little dull last night... I was sipping bourbon. I'm sure it was funny, but I missed it LOL.
    Naw, you are sharp as a razor. I'm a bit preoccupied with a job at work, right now. My partner and I get stuck with the troubleshooting jobs nobody else can fix and it get taxing on the sense of humor.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Denton For This Useful Post:

shootbrownelk (05-23-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,065 Times in 947 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    Hey . . . Jester . . . if you don't mind . . . I'd like to disagree with you . . . on 3 points.

First two are kinda easy to deal with . . . it is impossible to be ALL right or ALL wrong . . . much less at the same time. We all are somewhere in the middle of each . . . kinda maybe like a 60 / 40 mixture . . . 60 percent right . . . 40 percent wrong . . . or some such percentage . . . and that goes for all of us . . . saints and sinners.

The last one takes a bit more to deal with it's the stuff that lies outside that circle of comprehension that is the actual truth..

The ACTUAL TRUTH is actually very easy to comprehend . . . as it is truth . . . truth . . . truth . . . nothing but the truth . . . and you probably have access to one right there at home. It is called the Bible.

What the Bible does do . . . it outlines and defines sin . . . sinful ways . . . sinful lives . . . sinful acts . . . and also defines the absolute reward for sin and it's ways.

As well . . . it defines the work around for sin . . . called righteousness . . . and we most certainly can know and comprehend what is sinful . . . what is righteous.

The righteous we need to do . . . the rest we need to avoid.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    aaaand this is where I get into trouble.... in my belief that those that collated the bible (the church which wasn't above corruption.. ) were simply the independent fact checkers of their time.. anything that was preached, written, or passed down that countered their traditions or took any focus/power away from the centralized church was labeled as heresy and they actually tortured you til you recanted.

My problem isn't with the bible per se, it's more with what was possibly left out of it (and we may never know) because it didn't fit with the fact checker's agenda. My point of us all being completely right AND completely wrong stems from our lack of knowledge of anything outside of/before the bible. (how many teachings/ books have been destroyed by the church as heresy and scrubbed from history? why do Christian holy days fall on similar pre-christ pagan holy days? Why is he Jesus of Nazareth and not Jesus of Bethlehem? We could ALL be right that there is a creator of us all and he sacrificed his only son to save us... And we could ALL BE WRONG that the Bible is his inspired word.

And furthermore anytime you bring up this argument to a bible devotee, they simply repeat to trust in god and that faith in God means that everything he wanted you to know he put in the bible. The ONLY instance of completely fallible men leading a fallible church, being COMPLETELY INFALLIBLE is when they chose what inspired teachings/ books made the cut into the bible...because it says so in the bible...

My problem isn't with God, it's with the fact-checked manual on how to explain him to people who had limited knowledge of biology, chemistry, physics, the universe, etc... that we still use to this day.

Somewhere in our history we lost a vast amount of knowledge that we had... and that makes me wonder why, how, who... and suspicions arise from knowledge that history is written by the winners.
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jester-ND For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    aaaand this is where I get into trouble.... in my belief that those that collated the bible (the church which wasn't above corruption.. ) were simply the independent fact checkers of their time.. anything that was preached, written, or passed down that countered their traditions or took any focus/power away from the centralized church was labeled as heresy and they actually tortured you til you recanted.

And we know all this . . . how??? Obviously with the "knowledge" written by the winners . . . then the losers were all killed . . . and there could be no dissenting argument . . . unless it never existed in the fist place . . . and was only fabricated by men and women jealous of the righteous way of life.

My problem isn't with the bible per se, it's more with what was possibly left out of it (and we may never know) because it didn't fit with the fact checker's agenda. My point of us all being completely right AND completely wrong stems from our lack of knowledge of anything outside of/before the bible. (how many teachings/ books have been destroyed by the church as heresy and scrubbed from history?

Again . . . this is as above . . . only an argument that questions . . . what if?? It lacks any quantitative or qualitative background. Something akin to the question and argument "What if sometimes 2 + 2 = 5?? "

why do Christian holy days fall on similar pre-christ pagan holy days?

Well . . . with several umpteen thousand pagan deities / false gods / animals (to worship) etc . . . and only 365 days to choose from . . . it stands to reason that there had to be at least a few that would happen to land on the same day. The two most important don't . . . just in case you had not noticed . . . Easter and the day of Pentecost . . . they fall on their own days . . . never before used by pagans . . . never since.

Why is he Jesus of Nazareth and not Jesus of Bethlehem? We could ALL be right that there is a creator of us all and he sacrificed his only son to save us... And we could ALL BE WRONG that the Bible is his inspired word.

He was given the title of Jesus of Nazareth by his peers . . . as they assumed He was born there. He did grow up there . . . and just as a token thrown thrown to his persecutors . . . did you notice that not one of them bothered to ask him "where were you born?". Had they done so . . . the trial would have stopped there . . . search would have been made . . . discovery would have been made . . . and my belief is the rest of the story would have been much different.

And furthermore anytime you bring up this argument to a bible devotee, they simply repeat to trust in god and that faith in God means that everything he wanted you to know he put in the bible. The ONLY instance of completely fallible men leading a fallible church, being COMPLETELY INFALLIBLE is when they chose what inspired teachings/ books made the cut into the bible...because it says so in the bible...

And you have a problem with God labeling thieves . . . murderers . . . liars . . . extortionists . . . wife beaters . . . child molesters . . . and the like as bad persons??

You have a problem with "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?"

AND . . . you label the entire church . . . it's programs . . . it's institutions . . . all of it's people as being some kind of bad . . . simply because a few of the men and women associated with the church . . . were indeed bad men and women. Gee . . . I wonder where you buy your bushel of apples that has none bad in it . . . or your box of strawberries that are all at the perfection of sweetness, ripeness, and firmness.

My problem isn't with God, it's with the fact-checked manual on how to explain him to people who had limited knowledge of biology, chemistry, physics, the universe, etc... that we still use to this day.

If that's truly the case . . . then I wonder where they did in fact get their understanding of biology, chemistry, physics, . . . etc . . . if in fact that it did not come from the divine hand of Almighty God . . . giving it to them.

Back up just a bit my friend . . . go check out what / which / and ALL countries that were founded . . . championed . . . and underpinned by the statement "One nation Under God". There is one . . . 1 . . . and one only. Which just happens to be the country that created manned flight . . . the telegram, automobile, telephone, television, the computer, virtually all advanced computer languages, sent men to the moon and back several times, were the first to do successful heart transplants, kidney transplants, lung transplants . . . was the first nation to begin a "community funded education system" in New England . . . has the single greatest health care system in the world . . . has had the taxpayer surplus of money available to pay for floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, typhoons, droughts, famines, and many other catastrophic problems. . . . throughout the world . . . and has never received even so much as one Euro, one Dinar, one Yen . . . or any other $$$ contribution when 9/11 happened . . . Katrina . . . etc.

You won''t find it . . . left alone with no Christian interference . . . Africa would still be boiling their neighbors in cast iron pots for dinner . . . china would still be growing rice with cattle as beasts of burden . . . Eastern Europe and the Mongol hordes would still be at each other's throats aboard camels and short legged fat horses . . . and the Saharan portion of Africa would still be trying to sell purple from their Camel laden caravan. South America would still be building gold statues on pyramids . . . and sacrificing their children to the Aztec deities.

Somewhere in our history we lost a vast amount of knowledge that we had... and that makes me wonder why, how, who... and suspicions arise from knowledge that history is written by the winners.

Yes, my friend . . . you are perfectly correct here . . . the world did lose the reasoning as to why hundreds of infants were sacrificed monthly to the Aztec deities . . . we lost the knowledge of how and why we build vast stone pyramids pointing to the sky . . . so when the emperor dies . . . his and his wife's bodies can be immortalized in coffins . . . food for their afterlife can be placed inside the pyramid . . . and their slaves can be chained to the walls, destined to die a horrible death from starvation or dehydration after being entombed with their dead king . . . on the belief that they would serve them in the afterlife as they did here.

Thankfully . . . God . . . His Bible . . . and God fearing Christians did in fact . . . as winners . . . erase and stamp out that knowledge

May God bless,
    Dwight

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (05-22-2021),inceptor (05-24-2021),Innkeeper (05-22-2021),Ricekila (05-22-2021),shootbrownelk (05-23-2021)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,065 Times in 947 Posts
    a few of the men and women of the church were corrupt? I was talking about the popes (The Vicar of Christ) and it's leadership...

Easter falls on it's own day?????? and other Christian holidays randomly match up with Pagan holidays due to fact that there are only 365 days in the year and it's luck???

Eostre is the Germanic goddess of dawn who is celebrated during the Spring Equinox. On the old Germanic calendar, the equivalent month to April was called “Ōstarmānod” – or Easter-month. As a holiday, Easter predates Christianity and was originally the name for Spring Equinox celebrations.

The date of the Christian celebration of Easter changes each year and the reason the date changes is because it is based on a ‘Pagan’ solar calendar. Easter occurs on the Sunday after the first full moon occurring after the Spring Equinox. So for example this year if the Spring Equinox is on March 19th, the first full moon after the equinox is on April 7, and the first Sunday after the full moon is April 12, which would be the date of Easter this year.

Most of the symbolism around this holiday actually comes from the pre-christian Pagan celebrations of the Spring Equinox. For example, we paint Easter eggs with bright colors at this time of year. The bright colors are a reflection of the spring flowers blooming and egg itself may be linked to chickens’ return to laying after the long winter months where chicken’s lay very few, if any, eggs. The Easter rabbit symbolizes fertility. We all know that bunnies get pretty busy if you know what I mean so they are a perfect animal to symbolically represent the fertility of springtime.

The Jewish feast of Pentecost (Shavuot) was primarily a thanksgiving for the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, but it was later associated with a remembrance of the Law given by God to Moses on Mount Sinai. The church’s transformation of the Jewish feast to a Christian festival was thus related to the belief that the gift of the Holy Spirit to the followers of Jesus was the firstfruits of a new dispensation that fulfilled and succeeded the old dispensation of the Law.

so it is just coincidence that The Christian Holy days fall on corresponding Roman Sun-cult pagan holidays? The Holy-Roman empire trying to impose a universal religion (usually through bloodshed) on pagan worshipers had nothing to do with it???

the bible was written written by 40 authors... over 2000 years... and people began to wonder which books were to be followed and which were to be ignored..

Church leaders worldwide gathered in various Councils to answer these questions. (council of Nicea 325AD Council of constantinople 381AD) which decided a book should be included in the Bible if it was:

-Written by one of Jesus' disciples, someone who was a witness to Jesus' ministry, such as Peter, or someone who interviewed witnesses, such as Luke.
    -Written in the first century A.D., meaning that books written long after the events of Jesus' life and the first decades of the church weren't included.
    -Consistent with other portions of the Bible known to be valid, meaning the book couldn't contradict a trusted element of Scripture.

After a few decades of debate, these councils largely settled which books should be included in the Bible. A few years later, all were published by Jerome in a single volume.

By the time the first century A.D. ended, most of the church had agreed on which books should be considered Scripture. The earliest church members took guidance from the writings of Peter, Paul, Matthew, John, and others. The later councils and debates were largely useful in weeding out inferior books that claimed the same authority.

was I wrong when I said they were simply the "independent fact checkers" of their day?

1000 years after lefties have taken over and scrubbed religion from the world, and MAN MADE CLIMATE CHANGE IS THE religion of the future and the leftie cult puts out it's manifest on the settled science... and they hold councils stating what science is true and which is heresy.... their manifest will include only what their "fact-checkers with an agenda" choose... and the climate "holy days" will magically fall on christian accepted days of worship... and 1000 years after that everyone will have forgotten what really happened... and the Climate Manifest will be the inspired word of whomever...

answer me only this....... is it at all possible the church leaders during the Council of Nicea and Council of Constantinople had any sort of underlying agenda when they chose the books that were scripture? or were they at those moments infallible?
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jester-ND For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast