Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I hate woodworking! Kitchen table for my camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Sand the edges with 150 grit but do not go anywhere near the veneer with 150. It is very thin and you will go right through it. Then sand the whole thing (including veneer) with 220. Do not go finer than that as it will close up the pours in the wood.

If you insist on staining it, you will need to put a coat of sanding sealer on it first. Birch gets really blotchy if you try to stain it without a sanding sealer. Personally, I would either just go with straight varnish or if you want to bring out the grain a bit, you could do a coat of boiled linseed oil first.

Then, use a wipe on varnish. Trust me on this. The old school paint-on varnish sucks to work with and trying to do a flat surface without leaving brush marks is tough. This is my secret weapon for finishing:

https://www.wwhardware.com/general-f...fault_products

You put it on with just a clean rag - no brush at all. An old tee-shirt works best. Wipe on two heavy coats letting them get completely dry. After the second coat dries completely, sand the whole thing with 320 grit, then do two more lighter coats. Don't let it scare you. It will look like absolute shit until you do the 4th coat; then it will look amazing.

You can be done after the 4th coat, but if you really want it to look like you can put your hand right through it, sand it again with 400 and do one or two more light coats.

This stuff works great because putting it on with a rag instead of a brush, you do not get drips or run marks. The downside is you do have to do at least 4 coats. With traditional brush-on varnish, you can usually get by with 2 coats (plus fixing all the damn mistakes and touching them up).
    Holy moly yeah this is why I hate woodworking lol!

Yeah your right this veneer is micro thin and won't hold up to much sanding.

Ok no stain eh! I could live with that. It looks like the product you linked me has a amber tone to it which darkens with time so that might just be the ticket. I like the t shirt rag application but holy shit thats a lot of coats. Well shit I'll see if I can find some of that ARM-R-SEAL gloss.

Wish me luck..... or break a leg!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (04-05-2022),Inor (04-02-2022),Slippy (04-03-2022),stevekozak (04-05-2022)

Found the ARM-R-SEAL TOPCOAT gloss on Amazon 39.95
    General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Oil Based Topcoat, 1 Quart, Gloss https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035YLSZE...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Looks easy to use. I would like to skip the stain sealer step if possible hopefully this top coat darken the veneer a little.

Inor do you think a quart will do both sides of my cheapo table?

The table dimensions are 36 7/8" x 28 1/2"
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,237 Times in 10,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Holy moly yeah this is why I hate woodworking lol!

Yeah your right this veneer is micro thin and won't hold up to much sanding.

Ok no stain eh! I could live with that. It looks like the product you linked me has a amber tone to it which darkens with time so that might just be the ticket. I like the t shirt rag application but holy shit thats a lot of coats. Well shit I'll see if I can find some of that ARM-R-SEAL gloss.

Wish me luck..... or break a leg!
    It turns an orange color over time which I think looks like old furniture. The high-gloss looks the best in my arrogant opinion. I use it for everything - jigs and furniture in my shop, all of the woodwork and cabinetry in our house is done with it as well as fine furniture. The can says it takes something like 12 hours to dry. Usually it is only about 3-4 hours until it is ready for the next step.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Box of frogs (04-03-2022),Dwight55 (04-05-2022),hawgrider (04-02-2022),Slippy (04-03-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,237 Times in 10,488 Posts
    Found the ARM-R-SEAL TOPCOAT gloss on Amazon 39.95
    General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Oil Based Topcoat, 1 Quart, Gloss https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035YLSZE...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Looks easy to use. I would like to skip the stain sealer step if possible hopefully this top coat darken the veneer a little.

Inor do you think a quart will do both sides of my cheapo table?

The table dimensions are 36 7/8" x 28 1/2"
    Yes, a quart will be more than enough. I am pretty sure you will like the look. The raw edges of the plywood will also look really cool with it.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Dwight55 (04-05-2022),hawgrider (04-02-2022),Slippy (04-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Yes, a quart will be more than enough. I am pretty sure you will like the look. The raw edges of the plywood will also look really cool with it.
    Excellent! Yup definitely going with the gloss not the semi gloss or satin.
    I'll order up the quart and then wait for the weather to hit the 70 degree low humidity range.

Appreciate the advice fella's!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Box of frogs (04-03-2022),Slippy (04-03-2022)

Don't get too close, I bite! Sasquatch's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,177 Times in 3,916 Posts
    I've used a lot of Thompsons water seal. It really doesnt have that high gloss to it.
    True. Wasn't even thinking of that.
    "That guy has the right idea, he wore the brown pants today!"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquatch For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-02-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,468 Times in 958 Posts
    Great topic guys.
    I use a old white sock or tee shirt to apply stains then hand rub the excess before applying the second coat. Hand rub both coats to ensure a even tone to the color
    My high school shop teacher would tell us that Minwax Special Walnut should be the only stain ever used, end of discussion.
    Coach Graves was a cool guy back in the 70’s

For poly I use a brush, not a cheap one but a good quality brush. You know the kind that make you say”shit -that’s a a lot of money for a brush” Work slow and as Inor says sand or steel wool between coats. For the very first coat I reduce the sealer 3 parts poly to 1 part mineral spirits. The reduction helps the wood to absorb the first coat. It really pulls it into the grain and helps to keep the next several coats smooth as glass.
    Good luck and post some pics of the finished product
    BoF

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Box of frogs For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-03-2022),Inor (04-03-2022),Prepared One (04-03-2022),Slippy (04-03-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,323 Times in 7,098 Posts
    If I was you, I'd add this to the table top pictures and poly over it. It should last forever!

Attachment 18209

Excellent! Yup definitely going with the gloss not the semi gloss or satin.
    I'll order up the quart and then wait for the weather to hit the 70 degree low humidity range.

Appreciate the advice fella's!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-03-2022),Inor (04-03-2022),MountainGirl (04-09-2022),Prepared One (04-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    If I was you, I'd add this to the table top pictures and poly over it. It should last forever!

Attachment 18209
    Red dogs rule!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Slippy (04-03-2022)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,323 Times in 7,098 Posts
    red dogs rule!
    amen!

Attachment 18210

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (04-03-2022),Inor (04-03-2022),MountainGirl (04-03-2022),Prepared One (04-03-2022)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast