Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lemons

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    You sir have a very short growing season up there in God's Country! Id love to have a nice big green house with all the fixens. I am In zone 5
    Very short.looks like even shorter this year.we would love to have a hoop house but,would not be able to afford to even try to keep it warm.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,036 Times in 7,028 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    That is what I am thinking. They are so small it would not be any different than any other houseplant in the winter. I am guessing they would not get enough sun to produce fruit in the winter. But if you could keep them alive, I bet they would LOVE the longer days in the summer. Hmmm...
    Attachment 1213

Inor,

Lemon Trees do come in different varieties and sizes. They can be picky little bastards but if you are willing to take some time with them they can and will produce fruit. As you know, Slippy Lodge is in the SE US in Zone 8.

The larger tree is about 6 years old and is approx. 3 feet tall. We've transferred it every 2 years or so into a larger pot and make sure the soil drains well otherwise you'll drown the tree. Every winter we bring it inside and it goes dormant and loses some, but not all of it leaves.

Most of the time, we keep it by the window to get as much sun as possible and if you can zoom in, you'll see it has started to bud already. Usually, after the last freeze in March or so, we put it back outside.

We started the smaller 2 trees last summer from seeds of the fruit of the larger tree and they have done very well this winter. Notice they have NOT gone dormant for some reason.

Also note, that the larger tree did not produce fruit the first two years. Every other year it produces more fruit than the year before and I have no idea why. We try and fertilize it with a basic high nitrogen fertilizer but may go to a Citrus Specific fertilizer this year to see if that improves the yield. The lemons stay green a long time then quickly change to yellow.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Slippy; 02-26-2015 at 12:21 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (02-27-2015),hawgrider (02-26-2015),Inor (02-26-2015)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Good luck? I will need it as Inor is absent from home more than at home. I suppose since I made it through the great tomato plant experiment last winter, I can do a lemon tree.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsInor For This Useful Post:

Slippy (02-26-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really don't like dwarf varieties of fruit trees. Semi dwarf are ok. Animals beat them up pretty bad and steal the fruit. It would be great to have OJ in GA if this country falls apart.
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, just found this site. I may give this a go.

http://www.appalachianfeet.com/2012/...-oranges-more/
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    In order to keep the dwarf trees alive, indoors and in the winter, you will need to have them under grow lights for between 12 and 14 hours a day. You should move them indoors before the first frost and keep them indoors until after the last frost. Dwarf trees do not withstand the cold at all.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,110 Times in 10,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Attachment 1213

Inor,

Lemon Trees do come in different varieties and sizes. They can be picky little bastards but if you are willing to take some time with them they can and will produce fruit. As you know, Slippy Lodge is in the SE US in Zone 8.

The larger tree is about 6 years old and is approx. 3 feet tall. We've transferred it every 2 years or so into a larger pot and make sure the soil drains well otherwise you'll drown the tree. Every winter we bring it inside and it goes dormant and loses some, but not all of it leaves.

Most of the time, we keep it by the window to get as much sun as possible and if you can zoom in, you'll see it has started to bud already. Usually, after the last freeze in March or so, we put it back outside.

We started the smaller 2 trees last summer from seeds of the fruit of the larger tree and they have done very well this winter. Notice they have NOT gone dormant for some reason.

Also note, that the larger tree did not produce fruit the first two years. Every other year it produces more fruit than the year before and I have no idea why. We try and fertilize it with a basic high nitrogen fertilizer but may go to a Citrus Specific fertilizer this year to see if that improves the yield. The lemons stay green a long time then quickly change to yellow.

Good Luck!
    Very cool Slip!

Mrs Inor: Do you think Long Rider would want grandson's bed back? He doesn't use it that often and that space would be perfect for 2 lemon and 2 lime trees! Grandson is young. He can take one for the team when he spends the night at our place.

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Ummmm - No.

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Very cool Slip!

Mrs Inor: Do you think Long Rider would want grandson's bed back? He doesn't use it that often and that space would be perfect for 2 lemon and 2 lime trees! Grandson is young. He can take one for the team when he spends the night at our place.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsInor For This Useful Post:

Coppertop (02-27-2015),hawgrider (02-27-2015),Inor (02-26-2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12