Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weeds

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,339 Times in 4,829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anyone know of a pasture-safe spray weed killer that kills fennel, and other weeds without harming grass?
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Inor (08-05-2023),Slippy (08-05-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,335 Times in 7,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    Anyone know of a pasture-safe spray weed killer that kills fennel, and other weeds without harming grass?
    Good question, I use a lot of 43% and 53% glyphosate (chemical found in brush and weed killers like Roundup etc) and sometimes I over-spray in areas I wished I hadn't. Tractor Supply is my go to on glyphosate. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/ca...s-weed-killers

Glyphosate ERADICATES dang near everything "green" it touches. Other than that, I got nothing on selective weed killer that doesn't harm grasses.

Bump for answers!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Inor (08-05-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,339 Times in 4,829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Good question, I use a lot of 43% and 53% glyphosate (chemical found in brush and weed killers like Roundup etc) and sometimes I over-spray in areas I wished I hadn't. Tractor Supply is my go to on glyphosate. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/ca...s-weed-killers

Glyphosate ERADICATES dang near everything "green" it touches. Other than that, I got nothing on selective weed killer that doesn't harm grasses.

Bump for answers!
    Yea. I've been spot-spraying with Round-Up, but I was hoping to find something I could just blanket-spray the whole pasture with. Would save me a lot of time and energy. It was 103 degrees today.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Inor (08-05-2023),Prepared One (08-05-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,883 Times in 5,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    Yea. I've been spot-spraying with Round-Up, but I was hoping to find something I could just blanket-spray the whole pasture with. Would save me a lot of time and energy. It was 103 degrees today.
    Pretty sure there is stuff that does broad leaf and not grasses. Maybe vice versa too.

Can you run a disc over it before it seeds?

Also took a look into it, mow before > 6". Repeat......Got a rotary cutter?

https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/bakerco/2...trol-pastures/

This one might be best for you Sparky

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

IIRC 2-4-D kills broadleaf. Glysophate (Round-Up) is grass killer, that is why field corn you buy as Round Up Ready 2. It is glysophate resistant. Don't quote me on this, but IIRC when I sprayed I used 36 OZ of glysophate, about 8 OZ of 2-4-D, and a surfactant to help with bonding. Mixed with 20-25 gallons of water per acre, on an air sprayer. My sprayer was only 36' boom, eventually I sold it and just hired COOP to spray for me, 90' booms. Money well spent. All I had to do was keep my Monsanto license current, and sign affirmation that all my seeds were Round Up Ready 2.

In my experience, disking or using a rotary hoe might push the weeds back about10-20 days, and if they have reasonable roots, then you may only knock down about 40-60% of them. Rotary hoe works better if you got a bad weed infestation, but they like to wrap around spindles. Moldboard plowing works better for weed destruction, but takes about 25-30 HP per 16" plowshare, so a 4-16 like my old Mini-Mo I had, used most of my 120HP tractor. I tried it with a 706 Farmall that dynoed about 50-55 HP, and I could stall the tractor if I went to full depth. You are moving a tremendous amount of soil, scouring helps, if you can get into a sandy field for about 5 acres, natural polishing.
    Politicians can kiss my ass!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T-Man 1066 For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man 1066 View Post
    IIRC 2-4-D kills broadleaf. Glysophate (Round-Up) is grass killer, that is why field corn you buy as Round Up Ready 2. It is glysophate resistant. Don't quote me on this, but IIRC when I sprayed I used 36 OZ of glysophate, about 8 OZ of 2-4-D, and a surfactant to help with bonding. Mixed with 20-25 gallons of water per acre, on an air sprayer. My sprayer was only 36' boom, eventually I sold it and just hired COOP to spray for me, 90' booms. Money well spent. All I had to do was keep my Monsanto license current, and sign affirmation that all my seeds were Round Up Ready 2.

In my experience, disking or using a rotary hoe might push the weeds back about10-20 days, and if they have reasonable roots, then you may only knock down about 40-60% of them. Rotary hoe works better if you got a bad weed infestation, but they like to wrap around spindles. Moldboard plowing works better for weed destruction, but takes about 25-30 HP per 16" plowshare, so a 4-16 like my old Mini-Mo I had, used most of my 120HP tractor. I tried it with a 706 Farmall that dynoed about 50-55 HP, and I could stall the tractor if I went to full depth. You are moving a tremendous amount of soil, scouring helps, if you can get into a sandy field for about 5 acres, natural polishing.
    Roundup/gyphosate kills everything.

GMO corn is gylposhate resistant/Monsanto crap. It's made it's way into the food chain, corn oils etc.....

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (08-05-2023),BucketBack (08-05-2023),Inor (08-05-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,470 Times in 958 Posts
    2.4D for broadleaf
    MSMA for grass type weeds
    RM43 if you don’t ever want it to grow again in your lifetime.

BoF

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Box of frogs For This Useful Post:

Inor (08-05-2023),Mad Trapper (08-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Roundup/gyphosate kills everything.

GMO corn is gylposhate resistant/Monsanto crap. It's made it's way into the food chain, corn oils etc.....
    More than corn. Back in probably 2016 or so I was planting RoundUp ready Alfalfa, and of course Dicamba tolerant soybeans... Good or bad GMO is here to stay for the moment. Otherwise, we could go back to non-GMO conventional corn, and enjoy 45 bu/ac yields instead of 270 bu/ac.
    Politicians can kiss my ass!!!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T-Man 1066 For This Useful Post:

Box of frogs (08-06-2023),Inor (08-05-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,237 Times in 10,488 Posts
    EXCELLENT THREAD GUYS!!!!

I have to plow up our pasture so I can get more and better pasture grasses growing. Right now, it is just native high-desert grass. That is fine but it requires about 40 acres per beef. I need to get it planted with something that is a little more fast growing and dense as I am going broke buying hay at more than $22 per bale!

I was waiting until after the monsoons this year to plow it hoping the rains would soften the ground up some. But since it is starting to look like we might not get a monsoon this year, I need to get going pretty soon on the plowing with or without the rain.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (08-07-2023),Box of frogs (08-06-2023),Slippy (08-06-2023),Sparkyprep (08-06-2023)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Man 1066 View Post
    More than corn. Back in probably 2016 or so I was planting RoundUp ready Alfalfa, and of course Dicamba tolerant soybeans... Good or bad GMO is here to stay for the moment. Otherwise, we could go back to non-GMO conventional corn, and enjoy 45 bu/ac yields instead of 270 bu/ac.
    I'm sure there are ways for good yields without dealing with Monsteranto.

I stopped buying most GMO stuff but it is hard for corn and soy containing products. They infest everything.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (08-07-2023),Box of frogs (08-06-2023),Slippy (08-06-2023)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast