Thread: Who is ready for an extended power outage?

Threaded View

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    Died young, most often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I don't much care if I have electricity for lights or computers or phones. But I definitely want it for refrigeration. Mrs Inor and I have talked on that several times. If we had an EMP or some other catastrophe that left us without electricity in October or November we would be fine. We could cut enough ice in the winter months and turn our garden shed into an ice house. We have an old 75 pound ice box to keep a few days worth of food at a time cold with an ice block. We would have no problem. But if the same event happened in April or May, we would be screwed, blued and tattooed. We would not have fresh food for at least 6 months.

Having electricity is a BIG deal for being able to have some free time when you are not constantly trying to gather or kill enough food to get by for a few days. Could I do it? Yep. Would I want to? Not a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    MR, you have the best power set up of anyone I've seen. Hopefully, I will get to the point that you are at. I don't get the whole "EPA can fine you" part though. Fine you for what, exactly?
    I would guess that if you have to USE fossil fuels so much that a 20K generator is neccessary then you have a bigger carbon footprint than just being tied to the grid.

Read that again real slow, that is my best guess.

But here is the point and it adjusts depending where you are and what you intend to do.

I am powering 95 cubic feet of freezers, a really nice refer, a deep well 220v well and I run my NG heating system which doesn't apply now.

The system I discribed is at 100% capacity about 11:00

In the summer I am OFF THE GRID

So the generator I am putting in is to take me through thte 3-4 months that I get 5 hours of over cast skies between November and Feburary.

Of course the good news is when the cold weather comes I can easily move the refrigerator outside or unplug the force air furnace and just burn some wood.

My freezers are already outside, and would benefit from the colder temperatures, and if it really did SHTF i would probably empty out at least 1 of the 2 freezers feeding everyone I have invited to come to me.

My intention is to help not only my close relative (many) but my neighbors through any collapse. The neighbors I know of are 48.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana Rancher For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (06-11-2015)