Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home made coal forge

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts

Home made coal forge

Some of you may remember the coffee can propane forge I built last year, it worked pretty well but was just way too small and quite expensive to run. I was using Mapp gas because it gets so much hotter than propane, but even propane is more expensive than coal. So anyway I decided to break down and build my own coal forge. I started with an old propane BBQ grill and did some modifications. Bought a few pieces of 1 1/2" black iron for the blower (an old hair dryer with the heating element disabled). Cut the cooking grid to fit down into the bottom of the grill and removed all of the extraneous stuff from the grill. About an hour later I had a pretty good facsimile of a forge and needed to do a test burn. Got some wood and charcoal lit in it and turned on the blower and it worked great. Went out today looking for coal, stopped at the local pellet stove dealer and was happily surprised to find they actually carried smithing coal. So today I fired it up with coal for the first time and I am absolutely thrilled with how well this thing works. I know it won't last forever and I'll probably end up either building a better one or beefing this one up a bit but this will do for now.

The test burn

Here's how it works with coal.

To be continued.....
    Last edited by Infidel; 04-14-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (04-19-2015),hawgrider (08-01-2015),MI.oldguy (08-03-2015)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Ok not sure if those pictures came through or not I can only see 1 so I'll finish up the post and then go back and try to straighten it out.

So after firing it up I had to start making me some tools. My first tool is just to keep the coal over the air flange.

Next I needed a hot cut chisel for the Hardy hole in the anvil (provided by a friend of mine for free).

After putting the edge on it this thing cuts steel like hot butter. Could not be any happier with the way that turned out. Did a couple of smaller projects too that I didn't take pictures of. Made a hold down for the anvil. Basically it drops in the hardy hole and uses spring tension to hold the material your working on to the top of the anvil. Also made a dog for the chain to hold down the anvil. Have a Lag screw on one side and then ran the dog through the chain and hammered it into the log. That works pretty well and is easily removable should I need a new log.

Next project will be a proper set of tongs, the channel lock pliers just aren't cutting it. Then I'm thinking I might try making a hatchet head since my hot cut chisel looks an awful lot like a small axe head.
    -Infidel
    Last edited by Infidel; 04-14-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Etsy Store:

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (04-19-2015),hawgrider (04-15-2015),Inor (04-14-2015),MI.oldguy (08-03-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,175 Times in 10,477 Posts
    THAT IS REALLY COOL! I want to get into metalworking so bad I can taste it. I simply do not have the room without getting rid some other hobby that is enjoyable. Please keep posting pictures. If we ever move out of God forsaken Minnesota, one of the first things I am going to do after I get our house built is setup a proper metal shop.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Infidel (04-15-2015)

Good anvils are getting hard to find. Very Cool!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Infidel (04-15-2015)

Little Miss Chatterbox 1moretoy's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I remember as a kid watching my Grandfather working metal that way. He was a tuff old goat. I once saw him smack his thumb with the hammer and just grabbed an old work rag and wrapped it up. Never missed a beat until quitting time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 1moretoy For This Useful Post:

Infidel (04-15-2015)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I'll post up some of the projects as they progress. I now find myself looking at odd pieces of steel wondering what they want to be. I think I've decided that I'll be lining the bottom of the forge with some fire brick as I have the feeling it won't belong before that hot coal eats through the bottom of it. I need a lot of practice with the whole thing to figure out exactly how the steel reacts to beating on it. I will say it's quite the workout, woke up this morning pretty sore from swinging that hammer all afternoon yesterday. About the last thing I needed was another hobby, but this one is pretty relaxing. Having a bad day, grab a hammer and go pound on some metal for a while. First time I went back to work after a couple days off in a good mood, I always hate going back.

For those that didn't see the propane forge:

Hawg's right about anvils getting hard to find, cheapest I've seen them used is about $5 per pound and most of them are beat

1moretoy: They don't make them like that anymore. Most guys nowadays would be looking for a workman's comp hearing after that trying to get a settlement.

-Infidel

Etsy Store:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-01-2015)

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Pictures aren't showing up on my end- I would really like to see this.

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    They're showing up here Coppertop, not sure what the issue is. Maybe a mod has an answer to this one. Could be a hosting issue I suppose, using photobucket have any trouble with them in the past?

-Infidel

Etsy Store:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,175 Times in 10,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
    Pictures aren't showing up on my end- I would really like to see this.
    I am seeing the pictures here. What are you using to view the site (phone, PC, Mac, tablet, tin can with a string)?

I think Hawg uses Photobucket all the time for his pictures. I have never noticed a problem.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Very cool my friend. I think you're right about it not holding up. I've burned out several cheap smokers just using them normally. I think the brick idea will definitely help extend the life of your forge. Keep us posted on your projects. Thanks.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Infidel (04-19-2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast