Thread: Sun Drying Fruits and other Foods

Sun Drying Fruits and other Foods

Sun Drying Foods

Sun drying is one of mankind’s oldest and most reliable ways to preserve food. Archeological sites in ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia show this method of food preservation has been used since 4,000 B.C.

Sun drying is actually pretty simple; it relies on the sun and airflow – that’s pretty much it. While newer methods like electronic dehydrators speed up the process, sun drying is a slow gentle process that can really bring out the flavor of your food. It’s also a reliable method of preserving food during an emergency.
    http://offgridsurvival.com/sun-drying-fruits-foods/
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    My grandpa used to dry apricots. Man, the flavor intensifies a lot. Funny thing, just two days ago was telling the wife about it.
    Would like to try some tomatoes, but got so many dang things going on right niwnow.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    If you live in areas that have humidity over about 50% forget sun dried anything! Most sunny days here we get between 30 and 45% humidity so it will work here but when

I was in Seattle with humidity over 50% throughout most of the summer it was useless to try to dry anything. That was when I started to use my frost free freezer to dry herbs and berry leather. That works great! You do have to freeze the jar you are going to store them in and close it up while it is still in the freezer because the simple act of taking them out of the freezer causes condensation from the air to collect on the dried product. When everything is cold and dry you can put the lid on the jar and keep it dry when you remove it.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.