Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ham Radio Help! Whose wife has their Tech license? Mine! That's who...

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,848 Times in 6,976 Posts

Ham Radio Help! Whose wife has their Tech license? Mine! That's who...

So me and Mrs Slippy are sitting around discussing our preps a month or so ago and we notice we don't have a good Communications Plan at all. So we do "rock paper scissors" and Mrs S loses...she has been selected to study for her Ham License.

Anyhow, Mrs Slippy gets to studying for the Tech License Test and today is the day...She aces it scoring 32 out of 35! Pretty proud of her on that one. Now we are looking at some different Radios. Help!!!

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated on radios/antenna/products!

Thanks all.

Slip

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-15-2015),Inor (08-16-2015),MI.oldguy (08-16-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    So me and Mrs Slippy are sitting around discussing our preps a month or so ago and we notice we don't have a good Communications Plan at all. So we do "rock paper scissors" and Mrs S loses...she has been selected to study for her Ham License.

Anyhow, Mrs Slippy gets to studying for the Tech License Test and today is the day...She aces it scoring 32 out of 35! Pretty proud of her on that one. Now we are looking at some different Radios. Help!!!

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated on radios/antenna/products!

Thanks all.

Slip
    Thats great congrats. Someday for me...maybe in retirement.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Slippy (08-15-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Baefongs are $35. And I believe you can talk on the radio if its under her supervision. I have 2 baefongs, they are cheap but good starters. My two even get AM FM radio. I hand tightened my antenna too much and pulled it out, so it gets staticky. Also when I put the belt clip screws on I could hear the threads squeaking.

They are good cheap starters. I don't have a license yet because the closest testing center is one state over.
    What's the difference between a crackhead and a tweaker?
    The crackhead will steal your shit and bounce--the tweaker will steal your shit and then help you look for it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to James m For This Useful Post:

Slippy (08-15-2015)

Enthusiast

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Congrats to her! That's awesome! Hmm, I'm really good at rock paper scissors, maybe I could do the same thing with hubs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tks For This Useful Post:

Slippy (08-15-2015)

Don't get too close, I bite! DerBiermeister's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,513 Posts
    Yes -- congrats to her. She has more sticktoitiveness than I. I got half way through the book and haven't picked it up in the last 6 months. I need to get back to it.

I have a very good hand-held (Yaesu VX-8), but I really don't think there is much activity in my end of the world. I probably need to rig up a much bigger antenna than the rubber-ducky that is on it. Anyway, I can't transmit until I get my license.

I have no real interest in HAM other than -- like you Slippy -- thinking I need some communications for THE BIG EVENT. Of course, when that happens, I don't think anyone is going to give a damn about licenses.
    “Keep your scope up and we’ll shoot that SOB down the throat” -- Dudley "Mush" Morton, USS Wahoo
    "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" -- Adm William "Bull" Halsey

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DerBiermeister For This Useful Post:

Inor (08-16-2015),Slippy (08-15-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HX03AMA/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00YMN42ZU/

I have the first one which was the new one for 2014, the second red one is new for 2015 allegedly.

But they are all made in China. But you should check prices on other brand name radios. They are outrageous.
    The crackhead will steal your shit and bounce--the tweaker will steal your shit and then help you look for it.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,716 Times in 3,587 Posts
    Will you/she be sticking with local comms, or will you also be looking into long range communications? two very different animals.
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TJC44 For This Useful Post:

Slippy (08-15-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 24,848 Times in 6,976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJC44 View Post
    Will you/she be sticking with local comms, or will you also be looking into long range communications? two very different animals.
    Probably will start out with local comms then progress into long range. We've budgeted approx. $350 for a radio/antenna. Kenwood is our preferred choice at this point but we are not set on a Kenwood.

Thanks for any suggestions TJC44

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Slippy I see you are going the reliable expensive route. You could still stash a few of the cheap radios in a BOB possibly.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to James m For This Useful Post:

Slippy (08-16-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Hey Slippy, I think it would be a good idea to talk to some of the ham folks in your area. You can usually get really good deals on equipment from them. I imagine 350 would go a hell of a lot further buying gently used high quality gear, the good ones run into the thousands nowadays. Just a suggestion.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Slippy (08-16-2015)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast