Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Heater maintenance

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts

Mr. Heater maintenance

I have two of these portable LP heaters. The buddy and the big buddy. Both of them have been great for the last couple years. I pulled them out of storage last week and was surprised that neither one of them would work. Here is the fix for a clogged up Mr Heater: https://youtu.be/L5UNAvPWXNE

I followed the instructions in the video and now they are both running like new. I did not use the computer dusting thing, I just blew it out with my air compressor and a small piece of hose. This is the first time I've had to do any maintenance on these things and they get used HEAVILY at my house all winter.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (12-14-2015),hawgrider (12-14-2015),rstanek (01-13-2018)

Spiders have a habit of plugging the pilot gas orifice when I leave my buddy heater in the deer blind to long. And then mice SUCK as the fill the whole insides stuffed full of nesting debris from leaving it in the deer blind to long.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-14-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    I had that problem one year. We had an explosion in the field mouse population and those little bastards got into everything over winter. Come springtime I found the damn nests everywhere in my equipment shed. In the mower, around boxes, even had a nest in the air box of my 92 Ford Ranger bov! Now I put out bait bars all over and problem solved.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (12-14-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Northern Tool had the Mr. Buddy on sale for $69, was thinking about getting one.
    Admin for the BEST gun site on the web! WELCOME TO THE OTP!

Quote Originally Posted by RWalls View Post
    Northern Tool had the Mr. Buddy on sale for $69, was thinking about getting one.
    Mr buddys are a damn good heater. Deer blind, tents, garage, house wherever. They have the low O2 sensor shut off so even idiots won't die from suffocation. Big buddy twice the fun. I run mine on a ten foot hose to a 20 lbs propane tank for the deer blinds.

Good price.... they have been running 79 bucks for the standard single ceramic buddy for years and years.

LOL great new avatar hahahahaha
    Last edited by hawgrider; 12-14-2015 at 11:45 AM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-14-2015)

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    I own 3.
    The Big Buddy great for garage or good size room. It has a built in fan also that runs on dcell or 110 plug.

I have the hunting buddy i like the heater single stone but larger then the mr buddy also the quiet ignition with a AA batery grill style ignitor.
    What I do not like is when run on low it makes noise like the wind is blowing the flame.
    If you crank it just a touch past low it stops. Like maybe the regulation is off from factory.
    I took it back the new on is the same.

I also have the old model mr buddy with the horizontal stone the new ones are vertical.
    Now other than the noisey ckick to start (i use a long lighter in blind to be more quiet) this is my favorite heater. It runs flawless on all settings an puts off plenty heat for blind.
    I have purchased one of the new ones and did not feel it put off as much heat an again it also flickered an made noise on low so took it back.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (12-14-2015),Arklatex (12-14-2015)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    I have a Mr Heater for my wood shop. It is the 115,000 BTU version. It heats things up pretty fast but it sure does burn the propane.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (12-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    I own 3.
    The Big Buddy great for garage or good size room. It has a built in fan also that runs on dcell or 110 plug.

I have the hunting buddy i like the heater single stone but larger then the mr buddy also the quiet ignition with a AA batery grill style ignitor.
    What I do not like is when run on low it makes noise like the wind is blowing the flame.
    If you crank it just a touch past low it stops. Like maybe the regulation is off from factory.
    I took it back the new on is the same.

I also have the old model mr buddy with the horizontal stone the new ones are vertical.
    Now other than the noisey ckick to start (i use a long lighter in blind to be more quiet) this is my favorite heater. It runs flawless on all settings an puts off plenty heat for blind.
    I have purchased one of the new ones and did not feel it put off as much heat an again it also flickered an made noise on low so took it back.
    Yup I have the original horizontal stone it runs great.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 12-14-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I have a Mr Heater for my wood shop. It is the 115,000 BTU version. It heats things up pretty fast but it sure does burn the propane.
    The original single stone will run 6 hours on low off a 1 lbs tank 4 hours on high. I get most of the hunting season off 1 20 lbs tank. That's from late October to late December

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    The original single stone will run 6 hours on low off a 1 lbs tank 4 hours on high. I get most of the hunting season off 1 20 lbs tank. That's from late October to late December
    Oh Lord no! I can burn through a 20 pound tank in about 5-6 hours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast