Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Pepper Sauce

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts

Hot Pepper Sauce

I have been thinking about this for a couple of years. Last year my pepper crop wasn't big enough to try it. Anyone out there make there own aged pepper sauce?? Any advice? I have read some on the subject and I have a large crock just waiting for enough peppers to get started. Any recipes?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (07-08-2016),hawgrider (07-08-2016),RubberDuck (07-08-2016),shootbrownelk (07-09-2016),Slippy (10-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    I have been thinking about this for a couple of years. Last year my pepper crop wasn't big enough to try it. Anyone out there make there own aged pepper sauce?? Any advice? I have read some on the subject and I have a large crock just waiting for enough peppers to get started. Any recipes?
    Aged in a crock as in fermenting?
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (07-08-2016)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Yes sorry I didn't get the right word out. i was reading up some about making aged pepper mash to start and thats what came to mind when I wrote the thread.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (07-08-2016)

Yes sorry I didn't get the right word out. i was reading up some about making aged pepper mash to start and thats what came to mind when I wrote the thread.
    I do some fermenting. I've done crock dill pickles before. The pepper sauce sounds interesting. I only have a little 2 gallon crock.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (07-08-2016)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I have a 3 gallon I think. But I also have a huge glass jar that looks like a over sized canning jar. I have used it to do a sweet pickle recipe that takes a week or so to make. I have a Rumtopt that has been aging for 2 years this fall. It has raspberries, strawberries and so other fruit and of course rum. I'm waiting to try it becasue they say it mellows the longer it ages.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (07-08-2016)

What kind of peppers are recommended for the pepper sauce?

I envison my perfect pepper sauce somewhere between Louisiana hot sauce and Tabasco sauce.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (07-08-2016),RubberDuck (07-08-2016),Slippy (10-03-2019)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post

I envison my perfect pepper sauce somewhere between Louisiana hot sauce and Tabasco sauce.
    It just depends on what type you want. I have a book on them and it gives basic recipes for all the major brands of sauce. Most any king of pepper can be used. I plan to use a little of every kind for me not too hot then I would like to make a rear burner to give away. I already make a special salsa for some that I wouldn't touch due to the heat. It lit me up tasting it while I was cooking it.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (07-08-2016),hawgrider (07-08-2016),RubberDuck (07-08-2016),Slippy (10-03-2019)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post

That sounds about right to me. Not too much vinegar and not too much BS. Just right. I would call it the goldilocks sauce. Cause it's just right. I've never tried this but I'm real interested in learning more about it for next year's growing season. What are yalls peppers of choice? I'm thinking cayenne would be a good candidate for this.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (07-08-2016),RubberDuck (07-08-2016)

It just depends on what type you want. I have a book on them and it gives basic recipes for all the major brands of sauce. Most any king of pepper can be used. I plan to use a little of every kind for me not too hot then I would like to make a rear burner to give away. I already make a special salsa for some that I wouldn't touch due to the heat. It lit me up tasting it while I was cooking it.
    Hahaha nothing more gratifying than watching the bad ass friends sweat Lol Here hold my beer and watch this!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (07-08-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    That sounds about right to me. Not too much vinegar and not too much BS. Just right. I would call it the goldilocks sauce. Cause it's just right. I've never tried this but I'm real interested in learning more about it for next year's growing season. What are yalls peppers of choice? I'm thinking cayenne would be a good candidate for this.
    Yeah cayenne with one or two tabasco peppers.
    I like the new hickory smoked tabasco sauce they have out now... so maybe add a little smoke ?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (07-08-2016),RubberDuck (07-08-2016)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast