Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never Chance Canning These Items and Why

Never Chance Canning These Items and Why

When we are canning our food for later use we need to be careful which foods we are canning. Learn which food you should never can and why you shouldn’t. Should I can this food or not? This is a well-debated topic.
    http://thehomesteadsurvival.com/neve...canning-items/

WHY Can’t I *Can* that? http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2...-can-that.html
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (08-15-2016),Broncosfan (08-15-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Good article, I didn't know that you had to use pint jars for chili. But I'd bet it says that in my canning book.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-15-2016)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,207 Times in 1,559 Posts
    I didn't know that as well for chili. I have done it several times in quarts with no problem. It only takes one time to really mess your day up though. I use a lot of tomatoes so the acid probably kept it from being a real problem.

Thanks for the link Hawgrider always like info on canning

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-15-2016)

Occasionally Replies Back darsk20's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Good article. Thanks.

I really need to get on the canning band wagon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to darsk20 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-15-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    I didn't know that as well for chili. I have done it several times in quarts with no problem. It only takes one time to really mess your day up though. I use a lot of tomatoes so the acid probably kept it from being a real problem.

Thanks for the link Hawgrider always like info on canning
    Don't forget tomatoes today dont have the acid content they had in the old days so if canning even just tomatoes its wise to add lemon juice. The ball blue book(food nazis) will give you the most current safe pratices. Also your county extension service would be a good resource as well.

There are some here that still follow the ways there grandma did it. I follow some of my grandmas ways too but just dont leave common sense out of the process. The food chain since grandmas days has changed drastically.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,207 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Don't forget tomatoes today dont have the acid content they had in the old days so if canning even just tomatoes its wise to add lemon juice. The ball blue book(food nazis) will give you the most current safe pratices. Also your county extension service would be a good resource as well.

There are some here that still follow the ways there grandma did it. I follow some of my grandmas ways too but just dont leave common sense out of the process. The food chain since grandmas days has changed drastically.
    I use citric acid. For me its easier to use than lemon juice. Both work in the same way. I have several good canning books that I refer to regularly.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-15-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosfan View Post
    I use citric acid. For me its easier to use than lemon juice. Both work in the same way. I have several good canning books that I refer to regularly.
    Citric acid? Availible in the store? Ive never used it. We just use concentrated lemon juice in the big bottle.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,313 Times in 4,339 Posts
    Personally, I would add potatoes to the list as well.

A whole big bunch of people were badly sickened over in Lancaster, Ohio, . . . I think 2 years ago.

Lady took her home canned potatoes, . . . cut em up, . . . made potato salad, . . . one person died if I remember correctly.

TV tube personalities then were saying don't can taters, . . . and I could never see a good reason to do it, . . . they keep better other ways.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (08-15-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Citric acid? Availible in the store? Ive never used it. We just use concentrated lemon juice in the big bottle.
    I've used it too, you can get it in the canning section at walmart. I use it to keep apples and bananas from turning too brown in the dehydrator.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (08-15-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    I've used it too, you can get it in the canning section at walmart. I use it to keep apples and bananas from turning too brown in the dehydrator.
    Ill have to check it out. I use lemon juice on my apples and bananas for dehydration too. Is it cheaper than concentrated lemon juice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast