Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to revisit your GHB/BOB

Occasionally Replies Back

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Time to revisit your GHB/BOB

I got my GHB more or less "good to go" a few years back and now its time to revisit. I know my rations will be out of date and some other stuff might need replaced. If you're like me its easy to forget to do this sort of maintenance. Now's a good time to go through your bags with the knowledge you've gained since the last time. Besides things that need replaced, you might realize that you've got something in there you don't need, or are missing something you shouldn't be.

Anyone else got something like this they've been putting off?

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:

Baglady (10-04-2016),Batou (09-09-2016),DerBiermeister (09-09-2016),hawgrider (09-09-2016),Inor (09-09-2016),juskom95 (09-09-2016),RubberDuck (09-09-2016),Slippy (09-10-2016),Sparkyprep (09-12-2016),TJC44 (09-09-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
    My emergency bag needs re-evaluated, but I have no BOL, so no BOB.

I need to empty and rebuild my water storage too . . . but I'm trying to avoid that.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Batou (09-09-2016),merlinfire (09-12-2016),RubberDuck (09-09-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
    I got my GHB more or less "good to go" a few years back and now its time to revisit. I know my rations will be out of date and some other stuff might need replaced. If you're like me its easy to forget to do this sort of maintenance. Now's a good time to go through your bags with the knowledge you've gained since the last time. Besides things that need replaced, you might realize that you've got something in there you don't need, or are missing something you shouldn't be.

I try to keep mine in good shape.

That said I can't tell you how may times a bic lighter has dried out on me. Something presses the gas and it's gone quick. Always keep a bic in an tin mint box.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Batou For This Useful Post:

DerBiermeister (09-09-2016),merlinfire (09-12-2016),RubberDuck (09-09-2016)

I really dont like to depend on Bic lighters. Been a smoker since 1974 and Ive seen all kinds of failures from disposable lighters.

The flints go bad the gas runs out and they dont work worth crap in the winter months until you warm them up. Using a Bic in the wind is not dependable either.

I depend on flint steel.

I don't care for the magnesium starters either. To many cheap knock off that dont work.

Do I have disposable lighter with me? yes I smoke. Do I depend on them when the chips are down? No.

Good thread. I need to go back thru my hello kitty bag its been a while.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 09-09-2016 at 03:04 PM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Batou (09-09-2016),juskom95 (09-09-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,103 Times in 14,729 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The crackheads like scripto lighters. "They" claim the BIC butane ruins the taste of the poison

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Good thread. I need to go back thru my hello kitty bag its been a while.
    Is this you BOB?

"Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-09-2016),Kfilly (10-02-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,104 Times in 10,465 Posts
    I need to go through ours badly. Right now, they are both setup to allow us to survive -30 degree temps but not 100 degree temps.

The rest of our stuff is due to show up Sunday so after that it will be a good time to go through them.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,103 Times in 14,729 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    is this you bob?

meow

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BucketBack For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-09-2016),juskom95 (09-12-2016)

Don't get too close, I bite! DerBiermeister's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,513 Posts
    Excellent thread

I have a very complex set of stuff that I can put in the bag or replace it depending on what I think my bag will actually be used for.
    For instance -- I very rarely anymore travel beyond -- call it my safety zone. Into town (some 18 miles away) or over to my yacht club (65 miles away). So I envision my bag as being a GHB. Do I really need things in there like a compass or a signaling mirror (just to name a couple)?

My bag, while quite roomy, is certainly not large enough to be classified as a BOB. But then again, my wife and I are in no condition to make a trek over the Blue Ridge mountains (probably the safest place to head to) on foot, with a 50 lb backpack on either of our shoulders. So, I should plan on how to stock our SUV. But but but -- what if it is an EMP as discussed elsewhere on this forum? So I think we've narrowed our options. 99% of my plan is going to be to make a stand at our home. We'll have provisions for a month or so, but that is about it, unless I really go full out on building a self-sustaining fortress. (If I could just stop buying more guns, maybe I could divert my funds in that direction )
    “Keep your scope up and we’ll shoot that SOB down the throat” -- Dudley "Mush" Morton, USS Wahoo
    "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" -- Adm William "Bull" Halsey

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DerBiermeister For This Useful Post:

BlackDog (09-17-2016),juskom95 (09-12-2016),merlinfire (09-12-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,034 Times in 7,028 Posts
    I went through mine a few weeks back prior to our rafting trip. My bag is good to go.

I will also add my snow tire chains and an extra blanket to my truck tool box in a month or so like I've done every year since I got stuck on Interstate 64 in West Virginia in the huge East Coast Blizzard of Dec 2009 while heading to Snowshoe WV. Made it out fine but got stuck twice mainly due to 18 wheelers getting stuck and causing a backup. The second time I got stuck along with 50 or so other vehicles an independent tow truck operator was giving free tows to stuck drivers on the Interstate. I offered him 100 bucks and he shook his head no, then shook my hand and blessed my travel. What a good man!

Thousands of poor slubs spent two nights on the Interstate of WV. 30 inches fell that day.

Haven't had to use the chains but I practice putting them on every fall before I put them in my tool box.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast