Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to revisit your GHB/BOB

Occasionally Replies Back

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Really for a 2 day hike its probably more than enough food (and I guarantee I'll be sick of it the first day) but it has adequate shelf life and has got the calories. and as ark pointed out, no prep. anything that requires prep means time wasted when I should be getting home as quick as possible. also why I prefer bottles of water (rotated more frequently) rather than a lot of filters, though I do have a filter in the bag. searching for water is another one of those things i'd rather not waste time on unless I had to.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (09-12-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    I'm in about the same situation, though I'm still lacking a water filtration device. I know of only a few bodies of water between my work and home . . . none of them would I trust a filter with unless I was dying.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    I'm in about the same situation, though I'm still lacking a water filtration device. I know of only a few bodies of water between my work and home . . . none of them would I trust a filter with unless I was dying.
    Sawyer mini for "clean-ish" water.

Berkey bottle for stuff that's worse.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Batou For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (09-13-2016)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    I have the sos rations, I did a one day trial, only eating the bar.
    They taste like a teething cracker, and made me thirsty. BUT, they are food.
    I haven't rotated from warm to cold weather yet, Hell, I think the truck bag is in the storage shed..
    And, its not a get home or go bag, just a "truck bag", im headed home..
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (09-16-2016)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Lifestraw and a Sawyer mini here.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,722 Times in 3,588 Posts
    My bag was small, but it was stuffed full. Extra clothes (pants, socks, sweatshirt), a couple ways to start fire, a water bladder that I keep empty and clean (I plan to fill it first if SHTF), water purifying tablets, paracord, a neat little hatchet tool (I posted a picture of it here sometime back). There's more, but I still haven't dug into it to re-organize.
    BAH FUCKING HUMBUG!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    I just redid my ghb from summer to winter. I was using a small tactical type bag and switched over to a medium Alice pack with the frame. I added a sleep system and some other extras. And now my weight is right at 25 pounds with full canteens (72 oz). I need to get out and test it because I've never carried an Alice before. It feels good with the hip belt but most packs do at first. Need to put some miles on this thing to see if in gonna stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    I just redid my ghb from summer to winter. I was using a small tactical type bag and switched over to a medium Alice pack with the frame. I added a sleep system and some other extras. And now my weight is right at 25 pounds with full canteens (72 oz). I need to get out and test it because I've never carried an Alice before. It feels good with the hip belt but most packs do at first. Need to put some miles on this thing to see if in gonna stick with it.
    Alice didn't like my frame. Infact she rubbed me raw. Hopefully she fits you better.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (09-16-2016)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Alice didn't like my frame. Infact she rubbed me raw. Hopefully she fits you better.
    We shall see, I remember you mentioning that before. I'm 6'3 185 and the pack "feels good" but that don't mean shit yet. I really like the design tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    We shall see, I remember you mentioning that before. I'm 6'3 185 and the pack "feels good" but that don't mean shit yet. I really like the design tho.
    your height and weight may be more suited to it. Im 5'9 240 I ended up with a kelty.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (09-16-2016)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast