Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 954 Posts

Suggestions?

Years ago I bought a Coleman camping oven for use on a Coleman type camping stove. The thing folds up into a flat box for storage. I’ve never used it. Recently I saw an article where most if these type SHTF type ovens will not heat up high enough to bake bread due to zero insulation. One author had a friend with a business making custom insulation pads and this worked well. Unfortunately I don’t have a local business that could make me these pads. So I thought cement board might work. Cheap. Good insulator. It should work. The problem is attaching the panels to the oven. I can cut 4 side pieces and one top panel, but how to fix them to the stove? Obviously the front panel needs to be removable to access the oven interior. Any ideas on how to make this idea work?
    The world needs assholes too

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Years ago I bought a Coleman camping oven for use on a Coleman type camping stove. The thing folds up into a flat box for storage. I’ve never used it. Recently I saw an article where most if these type SHTF type ovens will not heat up high enough to bake bread due to zero insulation. One author had a friend with a business making custom insulation pads and this worked well. Unfortunately I don’t have a local business that could make me these pads. So I thought cement board might work. Cheap. Good insulator. It should work. The problem is attaching the panels to the oven. I can cut 4 side pieces and one top panel, but how to fix them to the stove? Obviously the front panel needs to be removable to access the oven interior. Any ideas on how to make this idea work?
    Nix the whole idea, cast iron dutch oven and lots of hot coals?
    Politicians can kiss my ass!!!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T-Man 1066 For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (04-18-2024),Chiefster23 (04-18-2024),Mad Trapper (04-18-2024),Slippy (04-18-2024)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-18 070101.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	29289

Inor might know an AI that can help you out.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to White Shadow For This Useful Post:

1skrewsloose (04-18-2024),Chiefster23 (04-18-2024),Inor (04-18-2024),Michael_Js (04-18-2024),Slippy (04-18-2024),StratBastard (04-18-2024)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,862 Times in 5,283 Posts
    Drill some holes and use stainless: screws, fender washers, and wing nuts.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad Trapper For This Useful Post:

Chiefster23 (04-18-2024),Slippy (04-18-2024)

There are also through bolts of many sizes, then there is nothing protruding inside or outside, almost flush

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rstanek For This Useful Post:

Chiefster23 (04-18-2024),Mad Trapper (04-19-2024),Slippy (04-18-2024)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,336 Times in 4,829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Forget attaching the panels to the oven. attach them to each other. Build a box that the entire oven fits inside, with a hinged lid on the front.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Chiefster23 (04-18-2024),MountainGirl (04-20-2024),Slippy (04-18-2024),SOCOM42 (04-18-2024),stevekozak (04-21-2024),StratBastard (04-18-2024),T-Man 1066 (04-18-2024)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 25,297 Times in 7,094 Posts
    I'd probably assign this task to one of my illegals. Preferably Maria or Consuella or whatever wetback name they go by, since they do the cooking...

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slippy For This Useful Post:

Chiefster23 (04-18-2024),stevekozak (04-21-2024),StratBastard (04-18-2024),T-Man 1066 (04-18-2024)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,862 Times in 5,283 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    There are also through bolts of many sizes, then there is nothing protruding inside or outside, almost flush
    Carrige bolt with a square hole inside, nut or wingnut outside with fender washer.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 954 Posts
    All excellent suggestions. Thanks to all of you.
    The world needs assholes too

VIP Member! / Firearms expert SOCOM42's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,647 Times in 2,330 Posts
    YOU CAN HINDGE THESE TOGETHER TO FORM A BOX. THREE FOR THE SIDES AND A LATCHED ONE ON ONE SIDE FOR THE TOP.

This shit will not burn, I use it to line old oil burners. BETTER THAN THE CEMENT BOARD.

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Insul...%2C100&sr=8-18
    A STORM IS COMING! LET'S GO BRANDON!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SOCOM42 For This Useful Post:

Mad Trapper (04-19-2024),Slippy (04-18-2024),stevekozak (04-21-2024)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast