Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New holster review

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Do not use neats foot or any leather softeners on holsters. They will soften the leather and make re holstering difficult.
    Only if you use too much. I use Neatsfoot oil on every holster I make after molding and before the final finish. This replaces the natural oils drawn out of the leather in the dying and molding processes. After that an annual thin coat of oil is plenty, brush it on and then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. Do not saturate the leather or it will soften the leather. Neatsfoot oil is my preferred leather treatment since it's cheap and I always have it on hand.

-Infidel
    Custom Leather goods, check out the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/StuMillerLeatherWorks

Etsy Store:
    http://StuMillerLeather.Etsy.com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infidel For This Useful Post:

DerBiermeister (12-21-2016),RubberDuck (12-21-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    Only if you use too much. I use Neatsfoot oil on every holster I make after molding and before the final finish. This replaces the natural oils drawn out of the leather in the dying and molding processes. After that an annual thin coat of oil is plenty, brush it on and then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. Do not saturate the leather or it will soften the leather. Neatsfoot oil is my preferred leather treatment since it's cheap and I always have it on hand.

-Infidel
    Maybe on super thick leather holsters. I have a Don Hume OWB that looked dry to me I put a light coat of neatsfoot oil on it and it softened the holster. I'll leave mine dry.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (12-21-2016)

Don't get too close, I bite! RubberDuck's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 11,105 Times in 4,188 Posts
    I have use Hoppes gun oil on leather just on the contact pionts inside to reduce carry wear I also picked up a nice older holster very dry and cracked sprayed it down with hoppes an brought it back to life it never over penetrated and softened the leather but can not say it's the same for all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123