Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google SketchUp

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,787 Times in 5,246 Posts

Google SketchUp

For our anniversary, Mrs Inor bought me a couple of DVDs on how to use the free version of Google SketchUp for creating project plans and cut lists for my woodworking. I figured I would use it for planning the kitchen cabinets for our house as cabinets are about the easiest woodworking thing you can plan. Since I have never used SketchUp before, the DVDs are bit advanced for me, so I have been going through the online tutorials from Google first. They are very good but from navigating around in virtual 3-D space, I am getting vertigo.

Do any of you all use it? If so, what makes it so much better than just using paper and a pencil?
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-04-2017),Ricekila (01-11-2017),Sasquatch (01-05-2017)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 889 Posts
    sounds greek to me brother.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-04-2017),Ricekila (01-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,544 Times in 3,585 Posts
    I can't help you with the drafting program, but it will probably be a big help for your home building project if you can figure it out. On another note

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-04-2017),Ricekila (01-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Happy Anniversary Mr & Mrs Inor!!!!!!!
    How many is this one?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (01-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    Happy Anniversary Mr & Mrs Inor!!!!!!!
    How many is this one?
    HAHAHA!! That was a couple months ago. I think it was 26 or something... She deserves the condolences, not me.
    Last edited by Inor; 01-05-2017 at 01:25 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Baglady (01-06-2017),Ricekila (01-11-2017),Sasquatch (01-05-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,548 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    For our anniversary, Mrs Inor bought me a couple of DVDs on how to use the free version of Google SketchUp for creating project plans and cut lists for my woodworking. I figured I would use it for planning the kitchen cabinets for our house as cabinets are about the easiest woodworking thing you can plan. Since I have never used SketchUp before, the DVDs are bit advanced for me, so I have been going through the online tutorials from Google first. They are very good but from navigating around in virtual 3-D space, I am getting vertigo.

Do any of you all use it? If so, what makes it so much better than just using paper and a pencil?
    I downloaded the free version and was completely lost. From the little I know I'm sure it's a fine program. I use a program for editing audio from my radio days and it was confusing as hell when I first learned it. With 15 years under my belt I fly when using it now but I didn't want to spend 15 years learning SketchUp so I went back to pencil and paper. Wish I could be more help.
    "That guy has the right idea, he wore the brown pants today!"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquatch For This Useful Post:

Inor (01-05-2017),Ricekila (01-11-2017)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,035 Posts
    duplicate, . . . sorry !!!
    Last edited by Dwight55; 01-05-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Inor (01-05-2017),Ricekila (01-11-2017)

Little Miss Chatterbox

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,035 Posts
    FWIW, . . . a long time ago I bid that stuff adieu, . . . moved on with my life.

I'll make a front view 2D drawing of what I want, . . . sit on it for a couple of days, . . . making changes as needed, . . .

Then just get out the saw, nails, screws, and glue. The house you saw us in, Inor, . . . was literally built that way.

My brother brought his skid loader over, . . . flattened off a big enough place for the house, . . . we nailed 2 x 10's together, . . . called for the concrete truck to bring us footing concrete, . . . and the rest is history.

It never failed for me, . . . drawing something out in it's entirety, . . . I'd screw up the dimensions, . . . it would never fit, . . . or I'd forget something crucial. I gave up.

Now, . . . it's built on the fly, . . . and if it don't fly, . . . it can always be turned into a boat.

ALSO......Microsoft publisher is my "go to" drawing software. Anything I have the skill set to create, . . . I can do it on paper there.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (01-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
    FWIW, . . . a long time ago I bid that stuff adieu, . . . moved on with my life.

I'll make a front view 2D drawing of what I want, . . . sit on it for a couple of days, . . . making changes as needed, . . .

Then just get out the saw, nails, screws, and glue. The house you saw us in, Inor, . . . was literally built that way.

My brother brought his skid loader over, . . . flattened off a big enough place for the house, . . . we nailed 2 x 10's together, . . . called for the concrete truck to bring us footing concrete, . . . and the rest is history.

It never failed for me, . . . drawing something out in it's entirety, . . . I'd screw up the dimensions, . . . it would never fit, . . . or I'd forget something crucial. I gave up.

Now, . . . it's built on the fly, . . . and if it don't fly, . . . it can always be turned into a boat.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    That is how I have always done it too. If I am building something with real complicated joinery, I will sometimes build a model out of #2 pine first. But all the woodworking magazines promise this will save me a bunch of wood, so I'll give it a try (if I don't throw up all over my keyboard from the vertigo first).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (01-11-2017),Sasquatch (01-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Okay, I spent 3 solid days going through the online tutorials from the SketchUp site and the first Fine Woodworking DVD that Mrs Inor bought me. (The second DVD will be useful in the future, but is more about how to design period furniture. That is obviously not something I need for a project as simple as kitchen cabinets.)

First, a couple of my thoughts on the Sketch Up program itself.

1 - It is a bitch to learn initially, especially on a Mac. The program was obviously designed for Windows and relies very heavily on a 2-button wheel mouse to navigate around. I tried using the Mac trackpad and it sort of works, but I finally gave up and bought a $10 mouse and it was worlds easier to use.

2 - Once you get used to the Sketch Up way of designing something, it does go pretty quickly. Furthermore, whoever designed the Woodworking Template for it obviously was an experienced woodworker. Once you get used to navigating around the program, you actually design the project pretty much following the same steps you follow in the shop cutting the actual parts.

3 - It does allow you to design parts using reference points on other parts rather than having to rely on measurements. That is a HUGE help and is basically how I work in the shop. (I rarely use a tape measure after I have cut the first few pieces. After the first couple parts, I just use piece of scrap wood to make pencil marks for most of my measurements.) Sketch Up allows you to design the same way.

4 - Sketch Up is designed for drawing everything along the X, Y and Z axises. That is fine for most cabinetry stuff. But Mrs Inor wants one cabinet with a face at a 45 degree angle. That is something that is really easy to build, but drawing it with Sketch Up was a serious pain in the butt because the program wants all cut lines to follow at least one of the Axises. I tried it several times but finally had to give up in frustration. I then turned the part (in my case the door frame) to be on one of the axises, designed the door with all of the joinery, then had to rotate it back to fit the cabinet. That was not fun at all.

5 - The way the tool works is you draw your completed cabinet using the parts drawn previously as you guide for drawing the new parts. Once the whole thing is completed, you can easily "explode" the drawing back into individual components that can be dimensioned automatically. That part is REALLY cool and saves a bunch of potential mistakes when cutting in the shop.

On the upside, I was able to catch a math mistake I would have made in the shop had I followed my usual way of building things (from plan roughly drawn out on a stained cocktail napkin). That probably save me about $150 and a day's worth of re-work.

All in all, I think I am going be using this thing more and more even after I get past the house build, for doing designs on my furniture. When we were living in MN, it was not quite as necessary because hardwood was easy to get and cheap. Here, it is quite a bit harder to find and the prices are quite a bit more. So I am less inclined to just "experiment" because if I run out of wood, it might take a week or two to be able to get more.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (01-11-2017),Ricekila (01-11-2017),Sasquatch (01-11-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast