Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Wood stuff

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Do not waste the money on a router table. Get yourself a cheap hole saw about 2 1/4" diameter and a quarter sheet of good 3/4" plywood. Use the hole saw to punch a hole in the middle of the plywood. Remove the glide plate from the router and drill holes in the plywood to mount the router to it. Hang the router upside down from the plywood between a pair of saw horses. Use a straight board as a fence and a couple of clamps to position it where you need it. It is far safer and far more accurate than trying to hand route anything.

The only other tricky bit with routers is figuring out the feed rate for your wood. That is tricky because it is different for each species of wood. With maple, you need to go pretty fast because it will burn otherwise. With cherry or walnut if you go too fast, it will tear out. For your first few projects, buy a little extra stock just to experiment.

The only other bit of advice I can give is do not skimp on your tablesaw. That is the most important tool in your shop.
    Practice is what I intend to do. Quite a number of years ago I bought a router table top along with an Incra router fence. Got both on sale and they are still new in the box. Learning how is what I will focus on when I have the time.

Ditto with the Kreg stuff I own and haven't used yet. I have tendency to buy stuff I want when there is a really good sale.

For Christmas I got a Dewalt DEWALT DW682K 6.5 Amp Plate Joiner. I've wanted one of those for a long time. I have a project for later in the spring I intend to use it on.

Room to work in is the first thing I need and then time to learn the equipment. I'm working again on the room right now. Up to this point every time I've made room in my garage it got filled up again with stuff. Not this time, I've cleared out and thrown away or condensed stuff so I'm finally getting some room.

I wish I had the room for a full blown table saw but I don't. What I'm looking at and posted above is a quality contractor grade saw that folds up nicely. Hopefully some time this summer. Sooner if it goes on sale. What I really want is a Saw Stop brand but that's WAY out of what I can afford.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inceptor For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-06-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Nice work here guys, I haven't made anything from wood in years, but have made a couple beds with a detailed bookcase/headboard and several book cases in the past. Seems these days I just make shelving.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Nice work here guys, I haven't made anything from wood in years, but have made a couple beds with a detailed bookcase/headboard and several book cases in the past. Seems these days I just make shelving.
    Shelving and benches is what I mostly make. I have at least 2 more shelves to make to get more stuff out of the way. This is after I make my garden beds.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inceptor For This Useful Post:

A Watchman (02-05-2017),Inor (02-06-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    Practice is what I intend to do. Quite a number of years ago I bought a router table top along with an Incra router fence. Got both on sale and they are still new in the box. Learning how is what I will focus on when I have the time.

Ditto with the Kreg stuff I own and haven't used yet. I have tendency to buy stuff I want when there is a really good sale.

For Christmas I got a Dewalt DEWALT DW682K 6.5 Amp Plate Joiner. I've wanted one of those for a long time. I have a project for later in the spring I intend to use it on.

Room to work in is the first thing I need and then time to learn the equipment. I'm working again on the room right now. Up to this point every time I've made room in my garage it got filled up again with stuff. Not this time, I've cleared out and thrown away or condensed stuff so I'm finally getting some room.

I wish I had the room for a full blown table saw but I don't. What I'm looking at and posted above is a quality contractor grade saw that folds up nicely. Hopefully some time this summer. Sooner if it goes on sale. What I really want is a Saw Stop brand but that's WAY out of what I can afford.
    That Incra router fence is the greatest thing ever made for your router. I have one and absolutely LOVE it! The positive stops every 1/32 inch make it REALLY easy to cut just about any joint that can be cut on a router.

And quit making excuses for not having room for a full-blown cabinet saw! The wife can park her car in the driveway or the street. We have not had a car in the garage since 1995.

Just do not do what I did first off and try to learn with cheap #2 pine. All you will do is get frustrated. Find some cheap oak or other hardwood. Old shipping pallets are a good cheap source. Practice with that. Trying to do any kind of fine woodworking with pine is just an exercise in frustration if it is anything below select grade and then you are paying as much as you do for good maple or oak.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

inceptor (02-06-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    That Incra router fence is the greatest thing ever made for your router. I have one and absolutely LOVE it! The positive stops every 1/32 inch make it REALLY easy to cut just about any joint that can be cut on a router.

And quit making excuses for not having room for a full-blown cabinet saw! The wife can park her car in the driveway or the street. We have not had a car in the garage since 1995.

Just do not do what I did first off and try to learn with cheap #2 pine. All you will do is get frustrated. Find some cheap oak or other hardwood. Old shipping pallets are a good cheap source. Practice with that. Trying to do any kind of fine woodworking with pine is just an exercise in frustration if it is anything below select grade and then you are paying as much as you do for good maple or oak.
    I wish I could blame it on the wife. The only time she ever parked in the garage was when I lived in Colorado. The pile in the garage has been a combination of our stuff and family stuff. All the family stuff is gone now. I have tossed a bunch of my stuff and are condensing other stuff. Attic space is quite limited. I have to get creative on where and how I store stuff. 2 work benches and 2 tool boxes. 1 area is storage and ham gear that also has the TV for when I want to watch the news.

Much of the work I do for the time being is outside the garage. Right now my building project is the salad bar. I got the frame cut up this weekend. I don't have corner clamps to put it together, they'll be here tomorrow. I have to pick up the screws I need to put it together at Loews. I'm gonna need 3 1/2" deck screws. My #1 priority is my garden preps.

I forgot to add I also have a grow system in the garage. This is what I have. We did the 3 shelf system with the bottom extended up.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/stack-n...S.html#start=1

Once everything is started, this system stores quite nicely.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inceptor For This Useful Post:

Inor (02-06-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Sasquatch's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,043 Times in 3,888 Posts
    Don't think this qualifies as "wood working" since I only stained the wood and attached it to the frame.

This is my first stab at welding though. Spent some quality time with the Old Man and he taught me some pointers from his former profession. I learned really quick to appreciate the work he does/did. It takes a skilled touch to weld.

The top is Birch butchers block and the shelf is birch I beat on for a little while to give it a weathered look (which the pictures really don't show).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desk one - Copy.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	5332

Name:	Desk two - Copy.jpg 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	5333

Name:	Desk three - Copy.jpg 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	5334
    "That guy has the right idea, he wore the brown pants today!"

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sasquatch For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (07-10-2018),Inor (07-10-2018),MountainGirl (07-10-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,019 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Don't think this qualifies as "wood working" since I only stained the wood and attached it to the frame.

This is my first stab at welding though. Spent some quality time with the Old Man and he taught me some pointers from his former profession. I learned really quick to appreciate the work he does/did. It takes a skilled touch to weld.

The top is Birch butchers block and the shelf is birch I beat on for a little while to give it a weathered look (which the pictures really don't show).

Name:	Desk one - Copy.jpg 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	5332

Name:	Desk two - Copy.jpg 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	5333

Name:	Desk three - Copy.jpg 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	5334
    Nice work!

Yes, welding is an art all to itself.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

KnuteFartne (07-10-2018),Sasquatch (07-11-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post

I generally dont like dewalt tools, that being said the dewalt portable table saw is the best one out there. If you need a portable table saw you cant go wrong with it. I have ripped many a 2x treated with it and it just goes on. Have built slightly primitive cabinets with it no problem. If you dont have a full blown shop and need to move it, its the best for the job.
    Thread Killer .................................................. .......................

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigmund For This Useful Post:

MountainGirl (07-15-2018),Sasquatch (07-15-2018)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmund View Post
    I generally dont like dewalt tools, that being said the dewalt portable table saw is the best one out there. If you need a portable table saw you cant go wrong with it. I have ripped many a 2x treated with it and it just goes on. Have built slightly primitive cabinets with it no problem. If you dont have a full blown shop and need to move it, its the best for the job.
    I ended up getting the SawStop contractor grade. It folds up nicely and fits in my mess. I've used it a couple of times now and what a sweet saw. Plus this is the one the wife wanted me to get. Who am I to argue???

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inceptor For This Useful Post:

Inor (07-15-2018),sigmund (07-14-2018)

Thanks
    Well I never cut my hand or a hotdog, but your right. She rules.
    Thread Killer .................................................. .......................

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast