Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPEAR and BALCS

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts

SPEAR and BALCS

I dug up my old plate carrier tonight while working, I wanted to get the model and size for rifle plates.

When I served we had the IIIA SPEAR/BALCS inserts, and I was wondering what everyone else thought?

The plate carriers are good, but the soft armor provides small caliber protection around more of the body. The weight is negligible, but unfortunately the price significant (in the $500 range) while rifle plates can be purchased for around $200.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,018 Times in 10,450 Posts
    I am confused. (I have never spent any time trying to figure out body armor.) Wouldn't the rifle plates be better anyway, especially if they are cheaper?
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (02-09-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I am confused. (I have never spent any time trying to figure out body armor.) Wouldn't the rifle plates be better anyway, especially if they are cheaper?
    It is a layered system. The soft armor covers a larger area too, so even if a rifle round might penetrate, it may not cause as much damage. I'm thinking about getting both in the end, probably the plates first.

I brought it up more for those whom may not know about the soft armor inserts in modern body armor, and just see the plate carriers.

There is also the likelihood that the average person here in the states would face small arms over rifle rounds too.

Now I just need to find a few private security gigs here in KY so I can write off the equipment as a business expense, and I'm good!

Just mildly inebriated musings.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (02-09-2017),Inor (02-09-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,018 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Got ya.

That is probably something I should look into. There are some areas down where we live now that I would really like to explore because of the old cowboy legends. One place I would really like to see is the canyon where Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday killed Curly Bill. But I am told that canyon is way overrun by cartel drug runners.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (02-09-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Got ya.

That is probably something I should look into. There are some areas down where we live now that I would really like to explore because of the old cowboy legends. One place I would really like to see is the canyon where Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday killed Curly Bill. But I am told that canyon is way overrun by cartel drug runners.
    Down side is they are in the expensive side. I'm looking for cheaper suppliers, but there are not many out there.

COFFEE!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 33,020 Times in 14,691 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I' running a IBA OTV with soft armor and level IV standalone plates in a Plate carrier
    My 10 x 12 highcom plates swim in the XL OTV by Point Blank, and the 11 x 14 sapis are $$$$$$$$
    Ask and you shall receive here

https://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/10_Tactical-Gear.html

I wish I was rich like you guys.
    I fear the nation I loved may be gone. The best I hope for now is to die with honor in the coming civil war, and that my grandchildren be spared the pain of a tyrannical government.

News Flash: Statistics show the last time Blacks had a 100% employment rate was 1863

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BucketBack View Post
    I' running a IBA OTV with soft armor and level IV standalone plates in a Plate carrier
    My 10 x 12 highcom plates swim in the XL OTV by Point Blank, and the 11 x 14 sapis are $$$$$$$$
    Ask and you shall receive here

https://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/10_Tactical-Gear.html
    Did you put plates in a secondary carrier?

COFFEE!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastie dad View Post
    I wish I was rich like you guys.
    Nah. I bought the plate carrier back in 2011 when I was contracting over in Afghanistan (better than the garbage the company provided) and plates are running around $100 from AR500.

COFFEE!

I just have to not get hit. It's kind of an old school theory, but worked for a lot of guys for years.
    I fear the nation I loved may be gone. The best I hope for now is to die with honor in the coming civil war, and that my grandchildren be spared the pain of a tyrannical government.

News Flash: Statistics show the last time Blacks had a 100% employment rate was 1863

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Coastie dad For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (02-10-2017)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast