Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Fiction?

Banned

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Favorite Fiction?

Reading is one of my favorite pastimes. My tastes are pretty broad but figured I'd share a few of my relevant favorites...

Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour - An American pilot is shot down in Siberia and is pursued by Soviet agents.

Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter - It was made into a movie (Shooter) that wasn't half bad... but as usual the book was a lot better.

Exodus by Andreas Christensen - It's free! The moral of the story is to not keep all your eggs in one basket. On another forum I compared it to a non-fiction book also about a potential global catastrophe.

Among Wolves by R.A. Hakok - It's also free! Post apocalyptic story that's slow in the beginning... and in the middle... but it's worth recommending.

We, The People by Jack C. Haldeman II - It's also free! It's a short sci-fi story about people choosing where their taxes go.

What are some of your favorite works of fiction?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Xerographica For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-03-2017),Baglady (03-01-2017),Camel923 (03-17-2017),juskom95 (03-01-2017),Slippy (03-25-2017)

Found my way back to the barn. Baglady's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 Times in 1,868 Posts
    When I was a kid, "Watership Down" was my favorite.

The "Left Behind" series.

Just finished "2012". That was amazing.

I read way too much to say I have any favorites.
    Being cremated...my last chance for a SMOKING HOT BODY!!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baglady For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-03-2017),juskom95 (03-01-2017),Slippy (03-25-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baglady View Post
    I read way too much to say I have any favorites.
    Same here.

My favorite is probably the "Sword Of Truth" series, I've read over them a few times.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-03-2017),Baglady (03-01-2017),Walter Tyler (03-17-2017)

Occasionally Replies Back Jerry D Young's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Several of my favorite Disaster/Prep/PAW fiction:

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
    Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny
    Deathland series by James Axler
    Doomsday Warrior series by Ryder Stacy
    EMP Contrast – A Tale of Two Cities by Donald R J White
    Endworld series by David Robbins
    Farnhams Freehold by Robert Heinlein
    Forbidden Area by Pat Frank
    Malevil by Robert Merle
    Meeting The Bear - Journal Of The Black Wars by Lloyd Zimpel
    On The Brink Benjamin Stein & Herbert Stein
    Overload Arthur Hailey
    Siege Edwin Corley
    The Billion Dollar Killing Paul E Erdman
    The Crash of '79 Paul E Erdman
    The Deadly Frost Terrence Moan
    The Hab Theory Allan W Eckert
    The Silver Bears Paul E Erdman
    The Wanderer Mika Waltari
    The Warlord Series Jason Frost

Probably my favorite Prep/PAW Fiction (more or less):
    The Traveler Series D. B. Drumm (Probably my favorite of the PAW fiction series)
    The Outrider Series Richard Harding (Second place favorite of the PAW fiction series)
    Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle (Another early good prep book that influenced me)
    The Survivalist Series Jerry Ahern (The earlier ones) (More Prep/PAW stories that were entertaining and kept my interest up in prepping)
    Three Amazons Versus The Last Eligible Male by Ollie Elliott (A bit strange, but some interesting prep ideas)

These are the books I read in Junior High School, Senior High School, and as a young adult that shaped me into who I am:

Fiction:

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (Really got me started in prepping)
    Have Space Suit, Will Travel by Robert A. Heinlein (An inspiration to me when I was young)
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (Socio/political commentary in novel form.)
    And the rest of the works of Robert A Heinlein (for the same reasons as above.)
    Bulldozer by Stephen W. Meader (Another inspirational story when I was in my teens.)
    A Hero For Henry by Herbert R. Purdum (A great old west comedy with valuable lessons.)
    An Elephant For Aristotle by L. Sprague de Camp (Another Socio/political commentary in novel form.)
    The works of Louis L'Amour The westerns and Night Over The Solomons & West From Singapore
    The works of Zane Gray
    The works of Edgar Rice Burroughs especially Tarzan At The Earth’s Core
    The works of Earle Stanley Gardner
    The works of Andre Norton especially Sea Siege
    The works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    The works of Sir Henry Rider Haggard
    The works of Sandra Brown (Believe it or not, I learned a lot from romance novels.)
    The works of Nora Roberts (Another fine romance novelist that gave me a lot to think about.)

Non-fiction:

Power! by Michael Korda (How to get it and how to use it for good or evil)

Breaking the Rules by Kurt Wright (A book and seminar that gave me great insights into people and how they treat each other and why)

Dress for Success by John T Molloy (More than just clothing. How people actually see each other and act accordingly. Urban camouflage that also teaches the hows and whys of field camouflage)

The Miss Manners Guides by Judith Martin (More than just manners. How people interact in many different situations.)

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Jerry D Young; 03-02-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jerry D Young For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-03-2017),juskom95 (03-02-2017),RWalls (03-05-2017),Slippy (03-25-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Everything Louis L amour, Zane Gray, Western....especially ones written in the 20's - 50's
    Disclaimer....
    They can't write "pow" "pow" when describing a gun fight or I rip it to pieces...
    The lead character cannot be a red head....
    The lead character can not shoot a running animal at 300 feet...just clipping it enough to knock it down...or throw a knife any distance and stick it in a fellows throat every time...

All war novel not written by the enemy or Liberals.

Fifty Shades of Gray - I didn't read it...but I liked when my wife did.

Sci-fi
    Incarnation of Immortality series - Piers Anthony
    Bio of a Space Tyrant - Piers Anthony

Non Fiction:
    FM 7-8
    Ranger Handbook
    FM 31-20 series
    (you can look them up here https://archive.org/details/)
    Last edited by OSFG; 03-02-2017 at 05:17 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-03-2017),hag (03-17-2017),Slippy (03-25-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I love to read. These are my favorites.

Louis L'Amour, especially the Sackett series.

The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey

The Black Berets series by Mike McCray

The Executioner series by Don Pendleton

Edge series by George G. Gilmer

Renegade series by Ramsay Thorne

Drizzt Do'Urden, The Dark Elf Trilogy series by R.A. Salvatore
    "You're Never Lost If You Don't Care Where You're At" Tom Massey

Lifetime NRA Member
    Lifetime GPAA Member

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-17-2017),juskom95 (03-17-2017),Walter Tyler (03-17-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
    Same here.

My favorite is probably the "Sword Of Truth" series, I've read over them a few times.
    One of my Favorites as well!!
    Did ya ever see the TV series on CW? It sucked... but I held on watching for the whole ride.
    Well, It didnt suck it just didnt follow the story line... not like GoT does... BUT they have the HBO budget.

I also love the Drizzt Do'Urden, The Dark Elf Trilogy series by R.A. Salvatore...

The other one is with Pug the Magician... cant remember the Series but it is HUGE.

ALL TIME FAVORITE is Robert Jordans Wheel of Time. I have reread it MANY times.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:

inceptor (03-17-2017),juskom95 (03-17-2017),TXplowgirl (03-17-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
    One of my Favorites as well!!
    Did ya ever see the TV series on CW? It sucked... but I held on watching for the whole ride.
    Well, It didnt suck it just didnt follow the story line... not like GoT does... BUT they have the HBO budget.
    I watched it on NetFlix, and it is what actually got me hooked on the books. I have not read the last two yet (one came out in 2016 I think) so I'm behind some, but I own the rest. In physical form.

I also love the Drizzt Do'Urden, The Dark Elf Trilogy series by R.A. Salvatore...

The other one is with Pug the Magician... cant remember the Series but it is HUGE.

ALL TIME FAVORITE is Robert Jordans Wheel of Time. I have reread it MANY times.
    I have heard great things about Drizzt and Wheel Of Time, but I couldn't get into them for some reason.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Walter Tyler (03-17-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,120 Times in 10,468 Posts
    I just finished the new Brad Thor book "Foreign Agent" about a week ago.

I am a HUGE fan of Brad Thor and this is his best book ever. In my arrogant opinion, you can never go wrong with a story where there is a detailed description of the hero breaking muslims' kneecaps with a hammer.

This week's book was Bill O'Reilly's "Killing the Rising Sun". I generally stay away from O'Reilly's books because his ghost author does not do a very good job making sure they are factual. But the bookstore in the Tucson airport sucks. So my choices were pretty limited. It is an okay read, but it is not a book that would cause me to say "You HAVE to read this!"
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (03-17-2017),Slippy (03-25-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I just finished the new Brad Thor book "Foreign Agent" about a week ago.

I am a HUGE fan of Brad Thor and this is his best book ever. In my arrogant opinion, you can never go wrong with a story where there is a detailed description of the hero breaking muslims' kneecaps with a hammer.

This week's book was Bill O'Reilly's "Killing the Rising Sun". I generally stay away from O'Reilly's books because his ghost author does not do a very good job making sure they are factual. But the bookstore in the Tucson airport sucks. So my choices were pretty limited. It is an okay read, but it is not a book that would cause me to say "You HAVE to read this!"
    There were a lot of books I 'settled for,' out of airport bookstores. Just had to have something to read!

COFFEE!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-17-2017)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast