Thread: Things the common pine tree can be used for in a survival situation.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Things the common pine tree can be used for in a survival situation.

Here are a few things the common pine tree an be used for in a survival situation. I have not tried all of these, but I have heard they work (will try the soon).

1). Fine pine branches can be used as bedding,minsulation from the cold, and for shelter.
    2). Pine nuts and the soft inner tree bark are edible (bark has to be boiled).
    3). Pine needle tea can be made and consumed. Pine needle tea is rich in vitamins A and C
    4). Finer pine tree roots can be rinsed off and boiled in a small amount of water. It will produce a sugary drink for energy.
    5). Pine sap can be used as a makeshift alternative to glue.
    6). Dead pine trees and pine branches may be rich in fat wood. Fat wood is wood saturated in pine tar. It is very good for fire starting.

I have not tried these as I have just heard of them.
    7). I heard a pine branch 1" in diameter and 3" long can serve as a makeshift water filter straw and make water safe for consumption.
    8). I have also heard that pine needles can be ground up in your hands and then applied to your skin as a natural insect repellent.

It would be good to start threads like this for common plants.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-02-2017 at 04:17 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Camel923 (03-02-2017),hawgrider (03-02-2017),OSFG (03-02-2017),Sparkyprep (03-02-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    Here are a few things the common pine tree an be used for in a survival situation. I have not tried all of these, but I have heard they work (will try the soon).

1). Fine pine branches can be used as bedding,minsulation from the cold, and for shelter.
    2). Pine nuts and the soft inner tree bark are edible (bark has to be boiled).
    3). Pine needle tea can be made and consumed. Pine needle tea is rich in vitamins A and C
    4). Finer pine tree roots can be rinsed off and boiled in a small amount of water. It will produce a sugary drink for energy.
    5). Pine sap can be used as a makeshift alternative to glue.
    6). Dead pine trees and pine branches may be rich in fat wood. Fat wood is wood saturated in pine tar. It is very good for fire starting.

I have not tried these as I have just heard of them.
    7). I heard a pine branch 1" in diameter and 3" long can serve as a makeshift water filter straw and make water safe for consumption.
    8). I have also heard that pine needles can be ground up in your hands and then applied to your skin as a natural insect repellent.

It would be good to start threads like this for common plants.
    I'd be interested in the pine needles for insect repellent testing...other that I hate pine trees..

Good for turning your car yellow for a month or two every year.....killing all your grass.....leaving sap droplets all over your car turning into one big sheet of 80 grit sand paper...ruining nearly every pair of jeans I ever owned.... ruining about 10 lawn mower blades....and making replacing under ground pipes, cables, etc...a friggin night mare...

Its good to see anything good about them written though.
    Last edited by OSFG; 03-02-2017 at 05:59 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (03-04-2017)