Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Contents of my first aid kit

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Contents of my first aid kit

I had a few requests as to what I pack in first aid kit. The kit I am packing is a small first aid kit. This is what I pack in my bug out bag. I am not packing any paramedic or above medical supplies in my kit. Everything I pack can be used by the average person. If you have advanced training and feel the need to add advanced types of supplies, I am not advising you not to do that. This is just my situation.

The first thing I want to say is that most pre-made first aid kits are junk. I always build my. It is fairly cheap and easy to do. I also want to add that my kit is good for one to two people. However, it is easy to make 2 kits for close to the same amount of money for the basic supplies.

I bought the cheapest medical soft sided pouch I could find on Amazon. It is a pouch made by Johnson & Johnson. The pouch is approximately 8"x6"x4". I think I paid about $2 for the pouch alone. Even though the pouch is cheap, it is not a low quality item. The interior isn't very usable for what I carry, but it carries what I need it to carry. I am also not worried about it just falling apart. On a side note, this a great gift idea to give someone to keep in their car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	3206
    This is a pretty basic soft sided pouch. Labeled as a medical kit on one side. Bright red color for easy visual clue as to bag contents. Pouch has dual exterior zippers for easy access.

Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	3207
    The interior of the pouch is kind of useless for the stuff I pack. I do use the small mesh zippered pocket for medications I pack, a tweezers, comodone extractor, regular band aids, and medical tape. Behind that pocket I store my 5x9 bandages, 4x4 bandages, moleskin, and Steri-strips. All of the other webbing is pretty much useless for my application.

I purchased most of my actual medical supplies from Wal-Mart aside from the CAT tourniquet, 4" Israeli bandage, and small trauma shears. Below is a list of the items I carry in my kit:

5---5x9 bandages. These are for fairly large cuts and for cuts with a lot of bleeding.
    7---4x4 bandages. These are for medium to small cuts.
    10--Regular band aids.
    4--- Steri-Strips. These are for make shift stitches. Easy to apply. I am considering more for my pack.
    1----Comodone extractor. I break out easily. These hygienically drain acne and can remove ticks.
    1----Tweezers. Splinters/tick removal, etc
    1----Roll of medical adhesive tape
    4----Rolls of cling wrap bandages. I cannot remember what brand I bought, but they were indivually wrapped in plastic which makes them waterproof. Used to hold larger bandages in place, and for securing splints.
    1----5" Trauma shears. Used to cut bandages. Main use is to cut clothing off in serious injury so wounds can be treated. Get good ones as they may have to cut through things like denim.
    1----Pouch of moleskin. Used to treat hotspots so they do not become blisters.
    1----1.75 ounce container of organic cayenne pepper. I use that as a blood clotting agent in place of Quick Clot, etc. Used for serious or deep cuts that bleeding control is difficult to accomplish.
    2----Pair of nitrile EMS gloves
    1----Sawyer Extractor. This is supposed to remove poisons/venom, but the jury is out on this one. Wal-Mart camping section.
    1----Halo Chest Seal. Used to treat sucking chest wounds (puncture around lungs). Watch the end of the movie Three Kings. It is what Mark Wahlberg's character has after he gets shot.
    1----CAT tourniquet which is mounted to the exterior of my pack. An item that needs to be accessible quickly.
    1----small pill bottle full of baby aspirin, generic Tylenol, anti-diarrhea medicine, and Benadryl. Each medication was placed in a ziplock bag and the bag labeled with dosage instructions and expiration dates.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-09-2017 at 08:15 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2017),Baglady (03-09-2017),hawgrider (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Contents of my kit in photos.

Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	3208
    Apparently, I have seven 3x4 bandages and not 4x4 ones. I keep all bandages in zip lock bags so they are waterproof.

Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	3209
    5x9 bandages packed in zip lock bag. I do prefer the Curad ones as they are packaged smaller than the Johnson & Johnson ones.

Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	3210
    Moleskin for blister relief.

Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	3211
    Rolls of cling wrap.

Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	3212
    4" Israeli bandage. Pressure wrap to help control serious bleeding.

Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	3213
    I use this organic cayenne pepper instead of Quick Clot. I wrote what it is for I market in case some lay person needs to treat me.

Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	3214
    I pack a tweezers and comodone extractor in with my band aids.

Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	3215
    Steri-strips are used in place of sutures. Multiple strips are in a pack.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-08-2017 at 12:13 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2017),hawgrider (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Continued...

Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	3216
    Essential items no first aid kit should be without. CAT tourniquet and trauma shears.

Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	3217
    The medications I picked up. Most were the $4 bottles sold at Wal-Mart. Each ziplock is a full bottle. I have baby aspirin, generic Tylenol, anti-diarrhea, and Benadryl. Dosing instructions written on each bag.

Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	3218
    Sawyer Extractor. I am not sure about this one. It is supposed to suck venom out of wounds. It is lightweight so it stays in my pack. I have never been bitten by a snake soI have not tried it.

Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	3219
    Picture of bag partially packed.

Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	3221
    I cannot really get a picture of my first aid kit fully packed as I have to partially close it, cram stuf into it, and close it fully after everything is inside. My contents kind of scatter easily when my pack is open. However, that is kind of a good thing as nothing remains buried and everything is quickly accessible.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-08-2017 at 12:31 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I do not carry any anti-biotic ointment or burn cream. I do have a couple other things in my pack for first aid. I have a small thing of Gold Bond foot powder for treating my feet. I also have the ability to make colloidal silver (big fan of it), and I know how to make and use tannic acid.

Not necessarily first aid, but this is a part of hygiene. I carry a Sonicaire toothbrush head, and a small thing of baking soda for brushing teeth.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-08-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    I do not carry any anti-biotic ointment or burn cream. I do have a couple other things in my pack for first aid. I have a small thing of Gold Bond foot powder for treating my feet. I also have the ability to make colloidal silver (big fan of it), I know how to make and use tannic acid.

Not necessary first aid, but this is a part of hygiene. I carry a Sonicaire toothbrush head, and asmall thing of baking soda for brushing teeth.
    Why no antibiotic ointment? That stuff works great on small infections.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Why no antibiotic ointment? That stuff works great on small infections.
    Have you ever tried colloidal silver? I plan on making some and keeping it in one of my canteens. Colloidal silver has a lot more uses than just as topical antibiotic. It can be taken orally to help fight illness. I can also make some tannic acid which is good for treating waterborne intestinal problems, used as a mouth wash, and is an anti-bacterial agent. It is about versatility and know how.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-08-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    Have you ever tried colloidal silver? I plan on making some and keeping it in one of my canteens. Colloidal silver has a lot more uses than just as topical antibiotic. It can be taken orally to help fight illness. I can also make some tannic acid which is good for treating waterborne intestinal problems, used as a mouth wash, and is an anti-bacterial agent. It is about versatility and know how.
    I've heard of it. I've read about it. But the tube of triple antibiotic is easy and convenient.

Too much colloidal silver.... turn into a smurf LOL

Colloidal silver isn't considered safe or effective for any of the health claims manufacturers make. Silver has no known purpose in the body. Nor is it an essential mineral, as some sellers of silver products claim.

Colloidal silver products are made of tiny silver particles suspended in a liquid — the same type of precious metal used in jewelry, dental fillings, silverware and other consumer goods.

Colloidal silver products are usually marketed as dietary supplements that are taken by mouth. Colloidal silver products also come in forms to be injected or applied to the skin.

Manufacturers of colloidal silver products often claim that they are cure–alls, boosting your immune system, fighting bacteria and viruses, and treating cancer, HIV/AIDS, shingles, herpes, eye ailments and prostatitis.

However, no sound scientific studies to evaluate these health claims have been published in reputable medical journals. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration has taken action against some manufacturers of colloidal silver products for making unproven health claims.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...r/faq-20058061

Colloidal silver is LIKELY UNSAFE when taken by mouth, applied to the skin, or injected intravenously (by IV). The silver in colloidal silver products gets deposited in vital organs such as the skin, liver, spleen, kidney, muscle, and brain. This can lead to an irreversible bluish skin discoloration that first appears in the gums. It can also stimulate melanin production in skin, and areas exposed to the sun will become increasingly discolored.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
    Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Colloidal silver is LIKELY UNSAFE when taken by mouth, applied to the skin or injected intravenously (by IV). Increased silver levels in pregnant women have been linked to abnormal development of the ear, face, and neck in their babies. Colloidal silver supplements can also lead to silver accumulation in the body, which can lead to an irreversible bluish skin discoloration known as argyria. Silver can also be deposited in vital organs, where it does serious damage.
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...gredientid=779

I don't think I will be playing with that stuff. Thats just my choice though to each his own.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 03-08-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (03-15-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I've heard of it. I've read about it. But the tube of triple antibiotic is easy and convenient.
    Yes, but it runs out. I have three lithium 9V batteries two 8" pieces of 10 gauge silver wire, asmall set of alligator wire to connect the batteries to said wire, and a small plastic spacer to hold the silver wires apart. I can make enough gallons of colloidal silver with that set up to last me quite a few years. Colloidal silver is easy, convenient, and way more versitale. My pack is designed so I can disappear for awhile. I have made countless gallons of colloidal silver with my regular Duracell 9v batteries and 14 gauge silver wire. Both still appear as good as new. ;-)

Other uses for colloidal silver include treating questionable water which will be especially important when stupid Amerikans go third world status and start bathing and pooping in their water.

http://www.naturalnews.com/051148_si...ater_NASA.html
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-08-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks

Too much colloidal silver.... turn into a smurf LOL

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...r/faq-20058061

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...gredientid=779

I don't think I will be playing with that stuff. Thats just my choice though to each his own.
    That moron made it wrong, and drank it in excessive quantities everyday. I have been taking it for three years. I have not turned blue yet. You could try massively overdosing on modern pharmeceuticals. Pills as benign as antibiotics have killed far more people in the US. Long story short, I would rather turn blue than end up dead.

As a side note, the International Space Station uses colloidal silver to purify its water. Those astronauts drink that water daily. How many turned blue? Someone is lying to American public. All of the sites you listed are powerful for profit entities. They all lose big time money if the American public were to know the truth. People cannot patent elements,and anyone can make colloidal silver. The FDA suppresses a lot of stuff that is beneficial. Marijuana is good for treating some illness, but it is illegal. Marijuana is a plant. Marijuana has killed far fewer people than alcohol. Yet, one is illegal while the other can be bought just about anywhere. The FDA is also in on the racket. The last head of the FDA was a former Monsanto executive. I am sure he was looking out for every Americans well-being.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-08-2017 at 01:33 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Here is my little kit.

Plastic pouch contents:

I added this seperate:

2 Celox packs
    2 large bandaids
    2 antiseptic wipes
    4 cough drops
    Roll of generic rollaids
    Bottle of Visene. *this one is great if you get something in your eye*
    Chapstick. Also good for Firestarter
    Shears
    Small bottle of 2% iodine *for wounds and can also be used to purify water. 5 - 10 drops per quart depending on how nasty you think the water is, and let it set at least 30 minutes.

This is a work in progress and critiques are welcome. Keep in mind this is a basic EDC kit that rides in my work pack or travel bag. I always have it handy.
    Last edited by Arklatex; 03-08-2017 at 03:08 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-08-2017),juskom95 (03-15-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast