Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contents of my first aid kit

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    I read an article about that Smurf man that claims the same things Kfilly just mentioned. The guy was making it way to stout and took huge doses. I've never made colloidal silver but I do have several bottles of it. I believe the stuff works but I only use it for colds and flu. What really made a believer out of me was when we got one of our drop-off pups the poor thing had Parvo. After researching treatments for it I found that colloidal silver was the #1 success rate for home remedies. Well I had some and gave the puppy 10ppm solution with pedialyte. It worked very fast and the vet confirmed it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-08-2017),juskom95 (03-15-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    I read an article about that Smurf man that claims the same things Kfilly just mentioned. The guy was making it way to stout and took huge doses. I've never made colloidal silver but I do have several bottles of it. I believe the stuff works but I only use it for colds and flu. What really made a believer out of me was when we got one of our drop-off pups the poor thing had Parvo. After researching treatments for it I found that colloidal silver was the #1 success rate for home remedies. Well I had some and gave the puppy 10ppm solution with pedialyte. It worked very fast and the vet confirmed it.
    I have used colloidal silver for a few things. It definitely helps with colds. I make my own. I have a total dissolved solids water tester that measures parts per million of things in water. I keep my batches between 5 and 10 ppm (closer to 10). I only use distilled water to make mine. It is nothing but distilled water and electrified silver. It is easy to make. I recommend this kit. It is what I have in my INCH bag.

It is sold on Amazon as Colloidal Silver Generator Economy Kit. It sells for about $30. It includes everything you need to make it except for a plastic spoon, three 9v batteries, and an amber glass jar to store it long-term. It also comes with instructions on how to make it. I use distilled water from Wal-Mart which tests at 0 ppm prior to making any colloidal silver. I was going to post the link, but it comes up under my account. You can make tons of it for what you pay to buy small quantities, and you can control the quality/strength. It is another reason I have a water distiller in my pack.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-08-2017 at 02:51 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2017)

Don't get too close, I bite! Gambit's Avatar

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,042 Times in 5,248 Posts
    plastic wrap and condoms are good from water getting into the bandages
    It happened before, it can happen again.
    It happened there, it can happen here.
    It happened to that person, it can happen to you.
    No one is immune to the trials and tribulations of life.

I'm not allowed at the Zoo anymore...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (03-15-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Here is my little kit.

Plastic pouch contents:

I added this seperate:

2 Celox packs
    2 large bandaids
    2 antiseptic wipes
    4 cough drops
    Roll of generic rollaids
    Bottle of Visene. *this one is great if you get something in your eye*
    Chapstick. Also good for Firestarter
    Shears
    Small bottle of 2% iodine *for wounds and can also be used to purify water. 5 - 10 drops per quart depending on how nasty you think the water is, and let it set at least 30 minutes.

This is a work in progress and critiques are welcome. Keep in mind this is a basic EDC kit that rides in my work pack or travel bag. I always have it handy.
    How many people is this kit for? I would probably add a few 5x9 dressings and 3 rolls of cling wrap (can use those for pressure dressings or to attach makeshift splints if needed). If you are out longer, I would add more medications. I would also consider a CAT tourniquet. A CAT tourniquet can be a life saver. Other than that, it looks good.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-08-2017 at 05:48 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2017)

BTW Good review on your med kit.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    How many people is this kit for? I would probably add a few 5x9 dressings and 3 rolls of cling wrap (can use those for pressure dressings or to attach makeshift splints if needed). If you are out longer, I would add more medications. I would also consider a CAT tourniquet. A CAT tourniquet can be a life saver. Other than that, it looks good.
    This is my basic boo-boo kit that I always have around me. It's for myself or anybody else who might need it. I may need to find a different container for it because it's pretty stuffed as it is. Is cling wrap the same thing as coflex? I have some in my home kit but hadn't thought about adding it to this one. Good idea on the TQ, all I have is the bandana and stick method for now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I've also thought about adding a small mirror like a starflash micro and a small light (streamlight nano) to this kit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    This is my basic boo-boo kit that I always have around me. It's for myself or anybody else who might need it. I may need to find a different container for it because it's pretty stuffed as it is. Is cling wrap the same thing as coflex? I have some in my home kit but hadn't thought about adding it to this one. Good idea on the TQ, all I have is the bandana and stick method for now.
    I would not go super crazy with the 5x9 bandages (maybe 2 or 3). They are also dirt cheap. Coflex is a little better than cling, but they are basically the same thing. Tourniquets never hurt.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,198 Times in 4,799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for this thread. Ok, here is mine (just the GHB IFAK, The main household first aid kit is a large duffel bag with thousands of items, drugs, etc.).

Attachment 3224
    Attachment 3225
    Attachment 3226

Contents-

EMT shears
    QuickClot sponge
    6" Israeli bandage
    Instant cold pack
    Advil
    first aid tape
    tampon
    antiseptic towlette
    bottle of sterile eye wash
    roll of gauze
    hypodermic needle (for digging out splinters, no syringe)
    tweezers
    band-aids (I only buy the cloth ones. The plastic ones don't stick)
    a CPR one way breather valve w/ faceshield

Ok, besides the CAT, which I have ordered, what am I missing?
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (03-10-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Items I would possibly consider removing from your pack. The CPR shield, cold pack, and sterile eye wash bottle (if larger than a bottle of Visine I would remove it and get a Visine bottle--similar size keep). The latest research done by the medical field is that chest compressions matter a lot more than the rescue breaths. Some of the new CPR taught to the general public focuses on just doing chest compressions. The results have actually been surprising well doing that alone. I would also do mouth to mouth on a loved one, but that is just me. I did not put a CPR shield in my pack as I personally do not see the value in it knowing what I know about CPR and EMS response times (Golden Hour-treated at hospital within an hour). Deciding on whether or not to drop that from your pack is a decision you will have to make on your own. A cold pack has too few uses for its weight and the volume it occupies in your kit which is the reason I would exclude it.

This kit, just like anything else in your pack, should be about versatility and address the issues you are most likely to encounter. The things I believe people are most likely going to deal with will be cuts/lacerations, sprains, and broken bones. Those are probably the most common type of hiking injuries. You can also add the potential for gunshots to this mix if society falls apart.

You currently do not have much to address sprains or broken bones (splints). You can carry three rolls of cling/gauze (or Coflex) and chop two straight and sturdy tree branches to make a makeshift splint. The cling or Coflex can also be used to apply pressure to a bandage to help control bleeding. It serves a few purposes. I recommend three rolls as a minimum as that is the minimum I would use to secure a splint. I would carry a minimum of two 5x9 bandages. Those strike the balance between being small enough to carry, but are large enough to actually do something for a decent cut. Our department uses that size bandage more often than not when treating trauma patients. If you anticipate the possibility of being shot, I would add a Halo Chest Seal. If you do anticipate being in the woods for a few days, I would also pack some Tylenol (pain/fever), Benadryl (allergic reactions), and anti-diarrhea medication.

One thing I would also recommend is that you take basic first aid class if you have not done so already. Learn how to do basic splinting and first aid for basic cuts. Hopefully, what I said makes sense. If you have any questions, please ask.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-08-2017 at 08:41 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-08-2017),Sparkyprep (03-08-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast