Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show your favorite camping tarp set ups!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts

Show your favorite camping tarp set ups!

I want to make this a learning thread. I want people to demonstrate or show pictures of some of their favorite tarp set ups. One of my favorites is pretty interesting BTW.

I apologize for not posting any pictures today. I do not feel like making a bunch of tarp set ups today as we have 50 mph winds blowing around my house. Yes, I have and can set up a tarp under those conditions. However, I do not think it would be very fun or enjoyable to do set up after set up under those conditions (as well as photograph them). However, I promise I will get out there when the winds die down.

Also, post what kind of tarp you used and its size. I use a Snugpak All Weather Shelter which is a 10x10 tarp.

I have two tarp set ups I use that do not involve trees. They are both interesting and easy to do. I figured it was easier to link the YouTube videos I used to learn how to make them from even though both video makers had a few minor issues with their set up. They do a good job explaining how to make them. Both videos use a 10x10 tarp. One makes a fully enclosed tent. The other makes a low profile open sided tent (good for concealment or high winds).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLko...&v=k9ayvKXhVUg
    This is the low profile open sided tarp shelter. The guy who made the video made this video for me after I inquired how to make this set up. There are a few things he did wrong with his set up. He set it up backwards in regards to the wind. The rear of the shelter should face into the wind for aerodynamic reasons (less stress to tarp). The center stick should be approximately 3 feet long. I learned from experience that I can always tie the front flaps to rear tent stake on the each side (not the two on the absolute back of the tarp) and get good results every time. However, this is still a decent tutorial.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_TTAAzvybA
    The second shelter is a fully enclosed tent. The guy who made this video struggled with his tent stakes. My center pole is ends up being a little shorter than what the guy in the video uses. I use my normal sized trekking pole which is about 46" long. I can comfortably lay inside this with my two dogs and gear.

I also set up a typical lean to, an elevated A-frame for really hot days, or a wedge shape.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-10-2017 at 02:04 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2017)

10 x12 half pyramid. With that configuration its one cut on location post in front. It sports a floor and flap doors the can be tied closed to the single post.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    10 x12 half pyramid. With that configuration its one cut on location post in front. It sports a floor and flap doors the can be tied closed to the single post.
    You will have to add some pictures when you get a chance. ;-) Obviously, I do not expect that to happen today. I want people to be able to ask about something they see that they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    You will have to add some pictures when you get a chance. ;-) Obviously, I do not expect that to happen today. I want people to be able to ask about something they see that they like.
    Pics of mine are buried on a CD somewhere. I used that set up for 2 years on our bug out excursions in the woods during a rainy spring bug out trip.

My set up was the cats meow. Like I said with the 10x12 you have enough tarp to fold under for a floor that covers 2/3 of the ground. And has 2 doors.

The peak of the half pyramid is about chest high on me I'm 5ft 9" plenty of room to bring back pack in out of the weather. You can also sit up and cook a meal with the 6 dollar stove I showed in the other thread. You tube videos of this configuration are out there if you search for it. Note: Not all half pyramids designs have the floor and doors.

Similar to this-
    Last edited by hawgrider; 03-09-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017),TJC44 (03-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    A tarp is not in my kit anymore. But I do like the lean to setup. Here's a generic pic

One of these days I'm going to finally get around to making my own canvass oil cloth. And then I'll make that into the old school Whelen shelter like this:

I like the fact that they can be combined with a fire for heat. This type of shelter was used in the old days of frontiersmen and trappers. George Washington Sears (Nesmuk) also used a version of it.

Edit to add, this would be for car camping or historically correct trekking. Not something I would carry in a bob.
    Last edited by Arklatex; 03-08-2017 at 05:40 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-08-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,198 Times in 4,799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't carry a tarp in my BOB, mostly because it is not a BOB, but rather a GHB. My wife calls it a "Go Bag". Whatever you call it, the only "shelter" that I have opted to keep in it is a large FroggToggs poncho. I need my bag to supply me for 3 days, since that is how long it would take me to walk home. That being said, I like to use, and have used the lean-to method with a tarp to camp. I now have a Ascend Bozeman 3 tent, which I will review soon.
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-08-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017)

My 10x12 tarp now resides on my chicken run next to the coop. This year for spring bug out camp Im using my 3 man Coleman tent. Screw it we got quads to haul gear and Im pulling the old card! Hell I probably won't even actually put my pack on my back LMAO!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    My 10x12 tarp now resides on my chicken run next to the coop. This year for spring bug out camp Im using my 3 man Coleman tent. Screw it we got quads to haul gear and Im pulling the old card! Hell I probably won't even actually put my pack on my back LMAO!
    Nothing wrong with that! My tarp was replaced by a 2 man North Face backpacking tent. It's stout, easy to setup and critter resistant. I won't discount a tarp but given the choice I'd rather have the tent in my area. It sucks trying to sleep when you're harassed by creepy crawlies all night.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-08-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017),Sparkyprep (03-08-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,198 Times in 4,799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Nothing wrong with that! My tarp was replaced by a 2 man North Face backpacking tent. It's stout, easy to setup and critter resistant. I won't discount a tarp but given the choice I'd rather have the tent in my area. It sucks trying to sleep when you're harassed by creepy crawlies all night.
    Effing MOSQUITOES!!!!!!!!!
    Friends don't let friends shoot Glocks.

Proud Deplorable

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2017),hawgrider (03-08-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyprep View Post
    Effing MOSQUITOES!!!!!!!!!
    Michigan state bird.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-08-2017),BucketBack (03-09-2017),Kfilly (03-08-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast