Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Show your favorite camping tarp set ups!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Michigan state bird.
    Same in Arkansas, see the warning sign:

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

BucketBack (03-09-2017),hawgrider (03-08-2017),Kfilly (03-09-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,442 Posts
    I keep a 10x12 in my pickum up with some rope and paracord. Being I live in the heavily wooded NE Texas, I prefer the leanto methodology. No BOB for me, but I have a GHB that kicks ass and takes names.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A Watchman For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-10-2017),Kfilly (03-09-2017),Sparkyprep (03-09-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts
    I was going to post pictures of my favorite tarp set up, but I was having issues with pictures turning out. Ugh! I put a couple videos that demonstrate two of my favorite tarp set ups.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-10-2017)

The thing is with tarps is they are temporary at best. No floor generally in most tarp setups so if its pouring rain the ground is going to get wet and then your wet. To me the tarp thing is fun to play with but if you really are going to be on the move a small 3 season backpackers tent will serve you much better. Get a 4 season mountain climbers type tent if your going to do this in the north country.

Most tarps have no floor and enclosed tarps have no ventilation so after a night of breathing in a enclosed tarp it will be raining condensation on you. Just my opinon and worth exactly what you paid for it.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (03-10-2017),RubberDuck (03-10-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    The thing is with tarps is they are temporary at best. No floor generally in most tarp setups so if its pouring rain the ground is going to get wet and then your wet. To me the tarp thing is fun to play with but if you really are going to be on the move a small 3 season backpackers tent will serve you much better. Get a 4 season mountain climbers type tent if your going to do this in the north country.

Most tarps have no floor and enclosed tarps have no ventilation so after a night of breathing in a enclosed tarp it will be raining condensation on you. Just my opinon and worth exactly what you paid for it.
    I tend to disagree about the warmth and wetness issue. Tarps can be way warmer in the winter. You have to light a fire near it and set up a system to direct radiant heat from the fire back towards you and/or build "super shelter" or devise a little heater to run under your/inside your tarp. If in a tent, you do not get the radiant heat from a fire,and I would not run a heating device inside of a tent (carbon monoxide/fire potential). I already own a four season tent. ;-). I also have a survival blanket with Mylar backing as a ground sheet.

If I am bugging out on foot, I prefer a tarp for several reasons. A tarp is easier to use for stealth camping as it can be set up lower profile and good tarps are not gaudy colors which can be seen from miles away. I can set up my tarp to take advantage of natural terrain for better concealment and better shelters. I can tear my tarp set ups down and pack them away quicker than I can take down a tent in the event I have to leave an area in a hurry. I can set up some tarp configurations quicker than I can set up a tent which means getting out of the elements. A tarp is lighter to carry. I can have a partially open shelter and run a small makeshift heater in my tarp which I could not set up in a tent. Bug out situations are not going to be like recreational camping. Everyone will be viewed as a potential threat. Stealth, adaptability, and enginuity will be better served the four fabric walls.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-10-2017 at 08:08 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-11-2017),hawgrider (03-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    I tend to disagree about the warmth and wetness issue. Tarps can be way warmer in the winter. You have to light a fire near it and set up a system to direct radiant heat from the fire back towards you and/or build "super shelter" or devise a little heater to run under your/inside your tarp. If in a tent, you do not get the radiant heat from a fire,and I would not run a heating device inside of a tent (carbon monoxide/fire potential). I already own a four season tent. ;-). I also have a survival blanket with Mylar backing as a ground sheet.

If I am bugging out on foot, I prefer a tarp for several reasons. A tarp is easier to use for stealth camping as it can be set up lower profile and good tarps are not gaudy colors which can be seen from miles away. I can set up my tarp to take advantage of natural terrain for better concealment and better shelters. I can tear my tarp set ups down and pack them away quicker than I can take down a tent in the event I have to leave an area in a hurry. I can set up some tarp configurations quicker than I can set up a tent which means getting out of the elements. A tarp is lighter to carry. I can have a partially open shelter and run a small makeshift heater in my tarp which I could not set up in a tent. Bug out situations are not going to be like recreational camping. Everyone will be viewed as a potential threat. Stealth, adaptability, and enginuity will be better served the four fabric walls.
    My tent is earth tone color. If I need radiant heat from a fire reflector wall leave the doors open.

Food for thought... do the Mt Everest climbers use a tarp shelter? No they don't.

To me its a prepper fantasy. As Jerry would say "Just my opinon."
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Maybe a better example than Mt Everest would be thru hikers on the Appalachian trail do they use tarps?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Another setup that I like is to combine a tarp with a hammock. I've tried it two ways. One with a cheapo 10×12 tarp that worked out great and had plenty of overhang, and once using the rainfly from my tent. That one was OK, much lighter and smaller package but not much extra space underneath.

Here is a generic pic to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-11-2017),Inor (03-11-2017),Kfilly (03-11-2017),Sparkyprep (03-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Another setup that I like is to combine a tarp with a hammock. I've tried it two ways. One with a cheapo 10×12 tarp that worked out great and had plenty of overhang, and once using the rainfly from my tent. That one was OK, much lighter and smaller package but not much extra space underneath.

Here is a generic pic to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

I have never done a diamond shape set up. I always take my dogs camping so I am not using a hammock set up. No hammock means no diamond. If I need a super fast set up. I use a wedge/plow shape set up. That is the one where one corner is tied to the tree and the other corners are staked down. I will tie a piece of cordage to the end tied to the tarp. Any knot as long as it will hold will do. I tie a loop in the other end of the rope, and I attach a Caribiner to the loop. I wrap the rope around the tree in a tension less hitch (three wraps around the tree and clip Caribiner to end going to shelter. I pull corner of tarp opposite from the one I tied to the tree taught and stake it. I stake the other corners taught. A roomy set up will consist of the tarp being tied to the tree just over 6' height. However, one can set it up much lower for stealth purposes. I also have a 10' piece of cord I always leave tied to the center exterior attachment webbing. I will also tie the other end of that to the stake inline to the first stake I planted to create extra headroom. Tear down and set up in about a minute.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-11-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,111 Times in 10,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfilly View Post
    I have never done a diamond shape set up. I always take my dogs camping so I am not using a hammock set up. No hammock means no diamond. If I need a super fast set up. I use a wedge/plow shape set up. That is the one where one corner is tied to the tree and the other corners are staked down. I will tie a piece of cordage to the end tied to the tarp. Any knot as long as it will hold will do. I tie a loop in the other end of the rope, and I attach a Caribiner to the loop. I wrap the rope around the tree in a tension less hitch (three wraps around the tree and clip Caribiner to end going to shelter. I pull corner of tarp opposite from the one I tied to the tree taught and stake it. I stake the other corners taught. A roomy set up will consist of the tarp being tied to the tree just over 6' height. However, one can set it up much lower for stealth purposes. I also have a 10' piece of cord I always leave tied to the center exterior attachment webbing. I will also tie the other end of that to the stake inline to the first stake I planted to create extra headroom. Tear down and set up in about a minute.
    I have done a similar setup camping in the BWCA, that worked pretty well (unless it rained real heavy and the ground flooded). I tied a cord to a tree and staked the other end to the ground. Then I just threw a tarp over the cord and staked it down. The benefit was that I did not have to fight the tarp getting it taught when putting in the first stake. I just used carabiners to clip the tarp to the top and bottom of the cord, then two stakes on the sides.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Kfilly (03-11-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast