Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old ADT System

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 20,730 Times in 8,455 Posts

Old ADT System

I'm in the process of swapping out my four year old ADT system for a new SimpliSafe security system.

ADT does not want the old system back, so now I an trying to find ideas on what to do with it.

Suggestions?
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (03-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Alarm your shed?.if you have a shed.if its anything like our old one,there may be some relays or buss boards you can use on a project.

As far as the box it was in,how about a locked gun safe in a wall between studs with a picture over it?.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MI.oldguy For This Useful Post:

Camel923 (03-15-2017),juskom95 (03-15-2017),Ricekila (03-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MI.oldguy View Post
    Alarm your shed?.if you have a shed.if its anything like our old one,there may be some relays or buss boards you can use on a project.
    It is actually wireless, so I am pretty flexible with it.

As far as the box it was in,how about a locked gun safe in a wall between studs with a picture over it?.
    The box is actually down with my network rack, which is where my new system base is going (If they have gotten to my server rack, I'm in deep do do anyway)

I do like the idea about the shed as the alarm still works.
    "Every person’s life is theirs by right. An individual’s life can and must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny another person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is produced by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a man’s throat and dictate how he must live his life."

COFFEE!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-15-2017),MI.oldguy (03-15-2017),Ricekila (03-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,018 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Does the ADT system have motion detectors? If so, maybe rig them up to turn on a relay connected to a web cam. That would make a pretty cool game camera. If the wireless protocol that it uses is easy enough to hack, you could even plug a Raspberry Pi into the net to have it text you when something triggers off one of the motion detectors.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (03-15-2017),Unclefred (03-29-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Does the ADT system have motion detectors?
    They are . . . iffy, one reason the system is going 'bye bye.'

If so, maybe rig them up to turn on a relay connected to a web cam. That would make a pretty cool game camera. If the wireless protocol that it uses is easy enough to hack, you could even plug a Raspberry Pi into the net to have it text you when something triggers off one of the motion detectors.
    I have the separate system, where the box is located away from the panel, so I can program quite a bit from what I understand. I do like the idea though, maybe re purpose the sensors (pull apart the boards) and attach them to other areas to monitor?

COFFEE!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-15-2017),Ricekila (03-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 626 Posts
    Use it to cover additional areas. I have both the house and barn wired. I would like to do the other out buildings too.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camel923 For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (03-15-2017),Ricekila (03-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    Use it to cover additional areas. I have both the house and barn wired. I would like to do the other out buildings too.
    That is why I went with SimpliSafe, it is much, much, much cheaper to add sensors later.

ADT: $739
    SimpliSave: $469

The only difference is the motion sensor.

COFFEE!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (03-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 626 Posts
    Maybe sell the components cheap to someone who has an adt system

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camel923 For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (03-15-2017),Ricekila (03-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 17,307 Times in 6,021 Posts
    Give it to someone you don't like --- here the first thing they take is the lawn sign --

NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / NYSRPA member / GOA member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Venturing Crew COR / Ammosexual / Wayne County PA - visitors CCW holder / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

The word liberal is a misnomer ( look it up )

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Μολών Λaβέ

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:

juskom95 (03-15-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
    Give it to someone you don't like --- here the first thing they take is the lawn sign --
    I would not post a lawn sign with your home security system's brand. It makes it easier for the smart criminals to hack. My security system is a fully loaded weapon backed by two dogs.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Ricekila (03-15-2017),Sparkyprep (03-15-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast