Thread: Choosing a Hand Grain Mill

Choosing a Hand Grain Mill

How to choose which hand grain mill to buy?
    There is quite a range of prices for various hand grain mills (flour mills) and it may seem challenging to choose one that’s right for you. However you can narrow your choices by considering two basic questions…

1. Do you intend to grind/mill into fine flour for breads?
    (versus only courser grinds)

2. Do you intend to use the mill frequently?
    (versus once in a while)

If you will be milling wheat to make flour for bread, you will want to be sure that the grain mill (flour mill) will grind the wheat berries into fine enough flour. Many cheaper models apparently do not, although many claim that they do. Just read the reviews of the product in consideration and you will usually get to the truth.

If you will be using the mill frequently,
    http://modernsurvivalblog.com/surviv...nd-grain-mill/
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-16-2017),hag (03-16-2017),Inor (03-16-2017),Ricekila (03-16-2017),RubberDuck (03-16-2017)

Do any of you guys make your own flour or cornmeal?
    "I'm a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction"
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-16-2017),Ricekila (03-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by hag View Post
    No but I should be.

Are you making it Hag?
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

hag (03-16-2017),Ricekila (03-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    No but I should be.

Are you making it Hag?
    Naw but I want to too! I have always wanted to grow some garden corn like peaches and cream or candy corn and make cornmeal out of it. I bet it's awesome
    Kris Kristofferson
    "The American farmer is the only person who buys everything at retail, sells everything at Wholesale, an has to pay the freight both ways "
    JFK

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-16-2017),Ricekila (03-16-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,017 Times in 10,450 Posts
    We make our own flour.

All I can say is we bought the Country Living grain mill and are extremely happy with it. We grind wheat with it. We dry and grind the grain that I use for making beer with it. (That makes REALLY good bread.) There is also an attachment that I have not yet bought, for making peanut butter with it. Yes, it is spendy. Yes, it is worth every penny we spent on it.

http://www.countrylivinggrainmills.com/
    Last edited by Inor; 03-16-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-16-2017),hag (03-16-2017),hawgrider (03-16-2017),Ricekila (03-16-2017),Walter Tyler (03-16-2017)

Naw but I want to too! I have always wanted to grow some garden corn like peaches and cream or candy corn and make cornmeal out of it. I bet it's awesome
    Oh man I can smell the cornbread in the oven from here !!!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

hag (03-16-2017),Ricekila (03-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    We make our own flour.

All I can say is we bought the Country Living grain mill and are extremely happy with it. We grind wheat with it. We dry and grind the grain that I use for making beer with it. (That makes REALLY good bread.) There is also an attachment that I have not yet bought, for making peanut butter with it. Yes, it is spendy. Yes, it is worth every penny we spent on it.

http://www.countrylivinggrainmills.com/

Aw that's a nice one inor, its definitely on my wish list. Is it capable of making cornmeal too?
    Kris Kristofferson
    JFK

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hag For This Useful Post:

Inor (03-16-2017),Ricekila (03-16-2017),RubberDuck (03-16-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 34,017 Times in 10,450 Posts
    Aw that's a nice one inor, its definitely on my wish list. Is it capable of making cornmeal too?
    Yes... But of course you have to buy a different worm gear to feed the corn. We have the corn meal setup as well but have never tried it. It is kind of a pain to get it adjusted to grind the wheat to the right thickness. Putting on the cornmeal worm gear requires that you take all of the grinder plates off and readjust. So...
    Admin for the most politically correct site on the web. Welcome to the OTP!

Follow our house build: http://www.mtacres.net/

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inor For This Useful Post:

hag (03-16-2017),Ricekila (03-16-2017),RubberDuck (03-16-2017)

Thanks
    I have a country Living mill too. In England, the family has nice gardens, chickens and goats. In Transylvania, we homestead about 20 acres, off-grid, farming with a team of horses. We have 5 cows, 2 semi-heavy draught horses, pigs in the freezer, something like 20 chickens but for an accurate count you would need to ask a fox, they seem to keep closer tabs than we do.

We grow/raise, can, pressure can, put up, preserve, dry, smoke, salt down and pickle about 80% of our food. I make cheese and other dairy products and because we live WELL off the beaten path, I make our bread and cook with a glorious wood stove. It helps to have Very good equipment: Country Living mill, Kitchen Maid Artisan mixer, the lot. It makes for a wonderful lifestyle, but it's hard work too. The mill is used for wheat and corn, and occasionally other grains. I heartily recommend it.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Foxkitten For This Useful Post:

Arklatex (03-16-2017),hawgrider (03-16-2017),Ricekila (03-16-2017),RubberDuck (03-16-2017),Walter Tyler (03-16-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,673 Times in 3,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxkitten View Post
    I have a country Living mill too. In England, the family has nice gardens, chickens and goats. In Transylvania, we homestead about 20 acres, off-grid, farming with a team of horses. We have 5 cows, 2 semi-heavy draught horses, pigs in the freezer, something like 20 chickens but for an accurate count you would need to ask a fox, they seem to keep closer tabs than we do.

We grow/raise, can, pressure can, put up, preserve, dry, smoke, salt down and pickle about 80% of our food. I make cheese and other dairy products and because we live WELL off the beaten path, I make our bread and cook with a glorious wood stove. It helps to have Very good equipment: Country Living mill, Kitchen Maid Artisan mixer, the lot. It makes for a wonderful lifestyle, but it's hard work too. The mill is used for wheat and corn, and occasionally other grains. I heartily recommend it.
    Sounds like you've got a lot of knowledge to share. I agree with you that quality equipment is worth the extra expense, it's one of the areas where you usually get what you pay for. You should start a few threads about your favorite recipes. Tips for food preservation would also be highly appreciated. Welcome to OTP!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arklatex For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (03-16-2017),RubberDuck (03-16-2017)