Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Knots:

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts
    This is a quick and easy way to tie a bowline around an object. I might use this knot as one side of a shelter and use a knot I can tension on the opposite side. Before I begin, there are some basic terms about ropes you all should know. Working end=the side of the rope you are tying the knot on. Running end=the part of the rope going toward the load. Hauling end=the side of the rope opposite the working end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	3315
    I just took a piece of 550 paracord and wrapped it around my table leg. The working end is the side where you can see the end of the 550 cord. This knot will be tied on the running end as I am tying it around an object (i.e. my table leg)

Views:	0 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	3316
    I just put a simple loop in the running end of the rope. I made it so the loop is on the top side of the running end.

Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	3317
    I took a piece of rope from the running end closest to the hauling end side, and I made a "U" shaped loop (called a bite and referenced as such from now on). The bite is the piece of 550 cord closest to the loop made in step 2.

Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	3318
    I took the bite I made in the previous step, and I fed it, from the underside, through the loop. I just put enough through to leave a small loop bit enough for the working end to fit through.

Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	3319
    This picture is kind of hard to see. However, all I did in this step was I took the working end and fed it through the bite I pulled through loop in the previous step. The working end just goes through that and nothing else.

Views:	1 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	3320
    To make the knot, you have to pull on the hauling end and the running end on the opposite side of the knot. The knot will flip into a bowline. Also, the knot can be tensioned by pulling on the working end if needed.
    Last edited by Kfilly; 03-22-2017 at 10:01 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfilly For This Useful Post:

Walter Tyler (03-22-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts
    yer pic is not a knot...yet.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 1,337 Posts

The butterfly loop, also known as lineman's loop, butterfly knot, alpine butterfly knot and lineman's rider, is a knot used to form a fixed loop in the middle of a rope. Tied in the bight, it can be made in a rope without access to either of the ends; this is a distinct advantage when working with long climbing ropes. The butterfly loop is an excellent mid-line rigging knot; it handles multi-directional loading well and has a symmetrical shape that makes it easy to inspect. In a climbing context it is also useful for traverse lines, some anchors, shortening rope slings, and for isolating damaged sections of rope.

I use this when tying off a load instead of using the ole ratchet straps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:

Talon (03-22-2017)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
    yer pic is not a knot...yet.
    Actually, it is a bowline. Just a poor photo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123