Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Actually living and surviving outdoors...not just camping....

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 2,487 Posts

Actually living and surviving outdoors...not just camping....

I as a soldier spent a lot of times out in the woods, the desert, the hills. In the heat, the cold, and the rain.

I learned to appreciate the hazards that are presented. I bring this thread up to start a discussion on this point. If you had to leave your place and get away. And really any town became a major hazard. Just using what was in your BOB. How would you fare?
    Also understand the intent of the thread is not to discuss your BOL with well stocked dwellings etc....it's about... I'm now a damn caveman or woman...how will I do?

How are your skills for really, really, living outdoors? Rate it 1-10 (and understand your only fooling yourself if you exaggerate.) and discuss it a little.

1 being I might last a day or two. 5 being I could last for months, 10 being..Hell I live like that already. - hope that clears things up ...

On foot or bike or horseback. Let's let the topic flow and hopefully some good advice will be given to us all from others here.

Maybe we can spawn new threads for each type of particular region or climate.
    Last edited by OSFG; 07-21-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    With my BOB and all by myself, no family... maybe a 6-7. I'd really have to think about any holes in that for a long term stay in the woods. ie indefinitely. I suppose it would help if you gave some reference for the rating scale. 1 being completely incapable and likely dead in a week or 10 making the forest your biatch. Living like Tarzan at one with nature.

I often watch Naked and Afraid and think that the majority are just starving for 30 days. Then I go about critiquing their short comings. Of course, they are naked, and only have two elements to help in surviving. I have a bag full of stuff to get me on the right track. I have food, shelter, change of clothes, multiple knives, fire starting options, food, first aid, ammo, gun, etc... So assuming the forest stays the same and I have all my stuff, I may even go higher. I would go so far as to say, I wouldn't just survive but I would thrive. That said, I've yet to really test that theory in the past 20 years.
    "Glad you called me, No room for amateurs in this game."
    "I coat it with Demon EC, insecticide with environmental conscience. It's biodegradable. Organic. You ought to see the little beasties twitch when they get a whiff of this stuff."
    http://theoutdoortradingpost.com/forum.php

Thanks
    If my wife and I ever have to bug out, it will be with horses, one ridden, and one pulling a travois with our bug out bags and whatever else food/water wise can be loaded on it. I was a SERE instructor and have the necessary items in the bags to make life survivable, but it sure isn't going to be comfortable.

A lot of our ability and skill level is going to depend on the season. I don't like the cold. It's going to make it much more difficult if I've got to provide shelter, some warmth, and food when it's cold. Add in any injury to my wife or me, having to avoid others who might want to harm us and it gets even hairier. Spring, summer and fall would be much easier to survive, but the bugs at Ft. Sherman aren't that much worse than Mississippi. Especially if you get near a danged rice field.

I think that on a scale of 1-10, our knowledge of wilderness and survival living, my wife and I would rate 8, maybe 9. Our physical ability to actually do what we have to do, 7.5 and our will to do what it takes 8.

I guarantee you, it ain't gonna be any fun if we ever have to do it.
    "Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

Thomas Jefferson

Seen on Bumper Sticker:

I may be an old dog
    But I can still bury a bone

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    edits made to describe rating structure.

Great Post Just Sayin, Knowing your background a little I would expect you to be really high up on the charts there. Me. With My training, SERE-C included. I think I'm more in the range of 7 overall. My wife is a 2...But she's a 10 at making me work harder than I want to.

My knowledge of hunting fishing, trapping, etc as well as shelter construction and fire starting will keep me going pretty well. I have great navigational skills and security awareness and techniques. What I lack right now is more knowledge on plants (edible and medicinal) I know a few...but not enough. I also worry about sickness and injury. I have had some good medical cross training in the past...but not nearly enough. I can set a broken leg or arm and many of your expected combat wounds, but what the hell do I do about infection, diseases, or preventive medicine.

So I say a good solid 7...WHich means I could live out door for several months to years...but it would suck for awhile.
    Last edited by OSFG; 07-21-2014 at 03:46 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSFG For This Useful Post:

oldmurph58 (07-29-2014),Tachammer73 (07-21-2014)

Thanks
    I agree with you Old SF, it is very hard to quantify your skill level against an unknown situation. If you move our AO to the desert, or far north, we would probably drop significantly. I think that the most important thing to have other than knowledge, is common sense. With those, we can think our way through the problems we encounter. I really don't expect that if we ever do have to bug out, it is going to be a forever kind of event. We'll just need to get out of sight long enough for things to sort themselves out. If it is a world as we know it ending catastrophe... We'll make it as long as we can. That's all we can do.

Thomas Jefferson

Seen on Bumper Sticker:

I may be an old dog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sayin' For This Useful Post:

oldmurph58 (07-29-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Roger that...but many overrate the ability to last weeks to months and that what I hope to discuss most.

Dinky Dau

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    I think I am 5 or 6 on your scale. Spent a lot of time in the woods, but like OSFG I lack good overall medical training and knowing the plants around here is a little weak. Along with the weather here (5 months of bitter winter), I think it would be rough but survivable. I do have shelter building/ fire starting/hunting/trapping etc. experience.

Thanks
    First off, if we have to go out and survive for more than 2 or 3 months, I guarantee you that we're all gonna be a whole lot skinnier!

After acquiring adequate shelter and water, you will need to immediately start to supplement the food you have on hand with other food sources. It's recommended that you forage as far away as possible to start with, partly because you have the most energy to do so at that time, and that there is food nearby if you are injured or sick and cannot get out as far. And if security is an issue, you are going to have to be quiet about it. So a bow, snares, traps, fishing gear would be the way to go. One item overlooked is the amount of time it takes to harvest, clean, prepare and preserve food. You also have to keep a fair amount of firewood available. So time is going to be a very valuable commodity that you may or may not have. Especially if you have to be moving constantly for security purposes.

You will also have to consider that things break, tear, or wear out. You're going to have to be able to repair or at least make a replacement at some point for a lot of things. What happens when your $200 boots fall off your feet? Do you have a plan for that? I know how to take a raw hide and make a rough moccasin, but they don't last long if not properly tanned. That's one thing I don't know how to do. At some point, we're probably going to have to start banding together to pool our knowledge and talents.

Thomas Jefferson

Seen on Bumper Sticker:

I may be an old dog

Being completely realistic I would give myself a solid 5 it would definatey suck ass for several months but I would be able to keep the family from wasting away and the boys are capable fishers and scavengers (all six of them , ages 10 to 18 ) and would be able to help and contribute as well

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachammer73 View Post
    Being completely realistic I would give myself a solid 5 it would definatey suck ass for several months but I would be able to keep the family from wasting away and the boys are capable fishers and scavengers (all six of them , ages 10 to 18 ) and would be able to help and contribute as well
    You need to give yourself a couple of extra points there Tach...anyone can survive 6 boys is definitely above middling!

Thomas Jefferson

Seen on Bumper Sticker:

I may be an old dog

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Sayin' For This Useful Post:

oldmurph58 (07-29-2014),Tachammer73 (11-01-2015)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast