Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choose 2, and only two!

Hybrid View

Thanks

Choose 2, and only two!

Ok, lets start off this thread with a scenario...

You are alone in the mountains (Smoky Mountains of TN) you are fully clothed, with hiking boots on. You are on a 3-day hike by yourself. You get lost. You are at least 50miles from the nearest road or other person; You are alone! You almost fall of a cliff (Not many in the Smokies) and you lose your bag over the edge, but before it falls you can grab 2-items. These 2-Items HAVE to be currently in your BOB. No fictional items.... Keep in mind 50 miles in the mountains can be a hell of a walk, up and down the mountains.. It could take 5 or even 6 days to get out, and that is if you don't get more lost.

Mine would be:
    Magnesium Fire Starter

My reasons for these items are:
    Fire starter is obvious, fire is useful and needed to cook any wildlife you may find.
    1911 self protection and hunting? (Not the most practical hunting firearm, but it's what is in my bag and that is a rule)

The reason i did not choose water filter or similar is because all over the Smokies there are natural safe drinking water sources that sprout right out of the mountains.

What would you choose and why???

I spent a 10-day hike through the Appalachian trails a few years ago, it was a awesome experience and i'd love to do it again.

Occasionally Replies Back
    Thanks
    A Machete
    A bow (not technically IN my BOB but its attached too it)

With those 2 I can make fire, shelter, hunt for food and fish, make cordage, make arrows.

Basically, do what I need to do and survive. A bear can come at you with 7 shots in its chest from an assault rifle, so that wouldn't be much use, plus its loud and alerts potential prey you are near by.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    A Machete
    A bow (not technically IN my BOB but its attached too it)

With those 2 I can make fire, shelter, hunt for food and fish, make cordage, make arrows.

Basically, do what I need to do and survive. A bear can come at you with 7 shots in its chest from an assault rifle, so that wouldn't be much use, plus its loud and alerts potential prey you are near by.
    I agree, for the most part. The loud noise of a rifle going off would more than likely deter and animal from coming your way. How often have you heard of a bear hearing a gun shot and deciding "That sounds like something i need to find"? Haha...Not to often.

Occasionally Replies Back machinejjh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Canteen and fire starter. Everything else I think I can improvise. Split rocks to make spear tip, vine or bark strips to lash it to a stick, etc. I want water and a way to keep warm. 50 miles is a hike, but doable.

Thanks
    I've seen a blackbear go towards the noise. Loud noise usually = food for a bear, whether it is hunters, or animals dying or trees falling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I've seen a blackbear go towards the noise. Loud noise usually = food for a bear, whether it is hunters, or animals dying or trees falling.
    Hmm.... Guess sometimes animals do some crazy stuff

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,426 Times in 5,950 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks19 View Post
    Hmm.... Guess sometimes animals do some crazy stuff
    Not really jbrooks, we have grizzlies and black bear that come to the sounds of gunfire, because they know that either a gut-pile or an entire deceased critter lies there. It used to be, that moose and elk hunters in Wyoming always bought a bear tag so they could fill it after they shot their moose. Now however, we have mucho grizzlies in the northwestern part of the state and we can't shoot them....you know...them being "Endangered" and all.

Thanks
    I'm in the UK and we don't have the large animals you have in the States, so I'm going to say a knife and a water filter(I have a Sawyer mini so that one).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to big paul For This Useful Post:

nephilim (07-23-2014)

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 13,370 Times in 4,838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Knife, and a BIC lighter. You need fire to stay warm, ward off wildlife, make rescue signals, sterilize water, ect. A heavy duty survival blade is needed to make just about anything, from shelter, to finding food.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkyprep For This Useful Post:

Txwheels (12-19-2014)

Little Miss Chatterbox
    Thanks
    First aid kit and my heavy coat. I guess I am cheating because I wear a belt upon which is fastened a knife, my revolver and two speed loaders, an axe and a trenching tool. I have always done it that way or carry the gun in a shoulder holster. It is easier to wear that stuff than it is to pack it. I am used to hiking at 5 to 8000 feet in altitude - the Smokey Mountains would be a bit easier on me than what i am used to. Native vegetation would be a challenge but I think I would be alright.
    ==============================
    live, work, love and be all you are meant to be.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pauls For This Useful Post:

oldmurph58 (11-26-2014),Reptilicus (07-22-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast