Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canning today?

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 14,183 Times in 4,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    there is some leftover brine, I will probably boil some eggs tonight.
    I'm assuming pickled eggs, . . . how about whoopin' that recipe on us?

I like eggs pickled in juice that previously had pickled beets, . . . just might be up for some pickled eggs.

Got to thinking that might be a good way to convert eggs to a quickly edible, . . . high protein, . . . snack, . . . or quick breakfast.

Thanks for the idea........

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you can read in English, . . . thank a veteran.

www.dwightsgunleather.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight55 For This Useful Post:

RubberDuck (09-13-2017)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 2,015 Posts
    Dwight, I am no recipe follower, I remember last nights KINDA
    10 cups water, 5 cups vinegar, 1 cup Kosher salt, and 2 jars of pickling spice, NO fresh dill was available, so 3 TBS dill.
    All the spices were put into three coffee filters (to tie off).
    Boiled for 10 minutes and then poured over jarred cucumbers.
    I might have enough brine for 6 or so eggs. Nobody else will touch them.
    I have made some pickled eggs, followed recipe from here I think.
    The only thing I do different, than some, is to run a toothpick from the top of the boiled egg, through the bottom. Seems to let more flavor into the egg.
    You will never be forgotten. RIP Corporal Bradley Coy (USMC)

Dwight, I am no recipe follower, I remember last nights KINDA
    10 cups water, 5 cups vinegar, 1 cup Kosher salt, and 2 jars of pickling spice, NO fresh dill was available, so 3 TBS dill.
    All the spices were put into three coffee filters (to tie off).
    Boiled for 10 minutes and then poured over jarred cucumbers.
    I might have enough brine for 6 or so eggs. Nobody else will touch them.
    I have made some pickled eggs, followed recipe from here I think.
    The only thing I do different, than some, is to run a toothpick from the top of the boiled egg, through the bottom. Seems to let more flavor into the egg.
    Please skip the toothpick Deebo. A guy died in Ohio using that method. The article should be around here somewhere.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (09-13-2017),RubberDuck (09-13-2017)

A common practice is to puncture the egg with a toothpick to allow the pickling solution to penetrate to the egg's interior, but this is dangerous as it can introduce clostridium into the finished product.[1] Eggs prepared with this method have sometimes had high enough levels of botulinum toxin to cause illness in humans.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_egg
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (09-14-2017),RubberDuck (09-14-2017)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts
    Very good advise Hawgrider. I know several people that have gotten sick from not pickling eggs correctly.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broncosfan For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-13-2017),RubberDuck (09-14-2017)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Well. I was rushed last night, the loving wife was making blueberry jelly, while I made my pickled eggs, so no toothpick puncture..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170913_183054.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	3818

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deebo For This Useful Post:

hawgrider (09-14-2017)

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    They wont last long enough to make me sick. But I did waterbath seal them, just for piece of mind to let them fridgerate for about 7 days.

I Never Log Off!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    C. botulinum spores are ubiquitous. Safe food preservation methods destroy spores or inhibit their germination and growth. Conditions that promote germination and growth of C. botulinum spores include absence of oxygen (anaerobic conditions), low acidity (pH >4.6), temperatures >39 F [4 C]), and high moisture content. Most foodborne botulism cases that occur in the United States are the result of improperly home-canned foods. This is the first reported case of botulism related to eating pickled eggs. The amount of toxin detected in the recovered egg yolk suggested that bacterial growth was concentrated in that portion of the egg. Intact eggs that have been hard-boiled should be free of bacteria or spores. Pricking cooked eggs may introduce C. botulinum spores into the yolk. Portions of the yolk that remained anaerobic and inadequately pickled (i.e., not acidified to pH <4.6) may have allowed C. botulinum spores to germinate, grow, and form toxin. Setting the pickling jar in sunlight provided warmth that facilitated bacterial growth and toxin production.
    I am not an arguer, but I just don't understand, how the "egg yolk inhibited botulism". It does say there was no present bot in the brine, only the yolk?
    Maybe a bad egg? And how old was the batch, and it mentions sunlight, which would seem like no refridge?

Either way, no big deal. (DRAGO from Rocky (IF HE DIES, HE DIES).
    Just kidding. I haven't eaten enough to know if puncturing helps anyway, so I wont do it.

C. botulinum spores are ubiquitous. Safe food preservation methods destroy spores or inhibit their germination and growth. Conditions that promote germination and growth of C. botulinum spores include absence of oxygen (anaerobic conditions), low acidity (pH >4.6), temperatures >39 F [4 C]), and high moisture content. Most foodborne botulism cases that occur in the United States are the result of improperly home-canned foods. This is the first reported case of botulism related to eating pickled eggs. The amount of toxin detected in the recovered egg yolk suggested that bacterial growth was concentrated in that portion of the egg. Intact eggs that have been hard-boiled should be free of bacteria or spores. Pricking cooked eggs may introduce C. botulinum spores into the yolk. Portions of the yolk that remained anaerobic and inadequately pickled (i.e., not acidified to pH <4.6) may have allowed C. botulinum spores to germinate, grow, and form toxin. Setting the pickling jar in sunlight provided warmth that facilitated bacterial growth and toxin production.
    I am not an arguer, but I just don't understand, how the "egg yolk inhibited botulism". It does say there was no present bot in the brine, only the yolk?
    Maybe a bad egg? And how old was the batch, and it mentions sunlight, which would seem like no refridge?

Just kidding. I haven't eaten enough to know if puncturing helps anyway, so I wont do it.
    Just lookin out for a friend Deebo its a bad practice and wanted you aware of it. Im sure many people still use that method.

But the way I figger is a man is only born with so much luck.... Ive used most of mine up so I don't dick around when it comes to canning or making pickled eggs. I have made Lots and Lots of pickled eggs.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgrider For This Useful Post:

Broncosfan (09-14-2017),Deebo (09-14-2017)

VIP Member!

Ranks Showcase

Thanks
    Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,552 Posts

Deebo
    Good idea to be safe than sorry. I'm not sure how the yolk causing the problem but I have read it somewhere else. I think a lot of it is more by using factory farm food. Not always sanitary conditions etc. I always feel safer using food I grew and what I have canned.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast